Evil Eye RTA anyone else in love with this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
Gotta say I am getting some seriously intense flavor out of this atty as well, the airflow isn't wimpy either.. and that capacity? I can fill it up and have it last a whole work day. I haven't put this thing down for weeks now.. using rayon and todds wicking method here. Gotta praise this rta.

If I really liked using 18650 mechs I might not go for it because of the diameter, but fortunately I don't care for mechs anyways aside from being collectables/backup devices. Looks awesome on my black sig box.

eLefAdEr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
My current build with twisted 28g, 7 wraps each side, 2.5mm inside diameter, 0.54Ω. Any wider and I doubt it would fit inside the chamber without touching it. Actually is just a tad too warm for my personal taste, around 0.65Ω would be ideal.

Pic, followed by a word of caution:
UOEmZHM.jpg

See those two screws that are discolored? They used to be right next to each other... actually, they were touching, which was causing a short. I didn't realize it until I noticed how hot the pyrex tank section was getting after a few hits. I switched the screws around but doesn't make much difference, there is barely any space between them. As I was setting up this current build on my Smok Xpro M80 Plus, it shorted again and "killed" it -- hopefully a simple fix.

Anyway, please do pay attention to the space between the inside positive screws and the outside negatives; I think mine may have made it through EH Pro's quality control when it shouldn't have. I'll be attempting to grind down one or both to create some room.

doofy666

Dec 31, 2014
Wales, UK
Anyway, please do pay attention to the space between the inside positive screws and the outside negatives; I think mine may have made it through EH Pro's quality control when it shouldn't have. I'll be attempting to grind down one or both to create some room.

Mine came like that. I put a screwdriver between the posts and levered them apart taking care that they then didn't contact the chimney.

Mark1963

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2014
Minnesota
On a Sigelei 150w box, right? The overhang isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would look (the sleeve is helping there). Glad you're enjoying it.

Yup, the 150W. It fires up pretty good. I tried it with those two extra air flow holes plugged with those screws and the draw was too tight. So, I removed them and it vapes much better.

As far was wicking, I trimmed them to just reach the juice channels and tucked them down right to the channels. No problems so far.

I like this thing, mostly because of the capacity. That's one thing I never can wrap my head around is why many of the manufacturers of these newer tanks insist on 3ml capacity. Options, options! Make 'em to interchange to 5ml (or more).

Reactions: eLefAdEr

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
Yup, the 150W. It fires up pretty good. I tried it with those two extra air flow holes plugged with those screws and the draw was too tight. So, I removed them and it vapes much better.

As far was wicking, I trimmed them to just reach the juice channels and tucked them down right to the channels. No problems so far.

I like this thing, mostly because of the capacity. That's one thing I never can wrap my head around is why many of the manufacturers of these newer tanks insist on 3ml capacity. Options, options! Make 'em to interchange to 5ml (or more).

Agreed, low capacity tank kinda defeats the purpose, especially with dual coils and sub ohm capable tanks that can drink juice, capacity should be a priority. I would guess it's an effort to cater to people who only use mechs, which seem to be the popular choice for newcomers. A tank with big overhang doesn't really look bad on a box mod the way it does on a mech. I remember hearing something about a square tank designed for box mods recently, wonder if we'll see more of those.

Anyways, evil eye rules! Amazing flavor. I've actually been running it with a 1.1 ohm single coil the past couple days with air and juice channels closed off on the side I'm not using. Works great and my batteries are loving it.

Reactions: duc916

Mark1963

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2014
Minnesota
Even with dual 18650's in my mech I can't finish off an 8ml Evil Eye without a recharge. I'm bombarded with flavor for 3-4 ml, then it drops off pretty quick. I'm convinced I need to get me a Sigelei 150w to fill that void.

Plus, it would look kinda ridiculous on my iStick50's. :D

I should put it on my iStick 30W just for sh**s and giggles.:lol:

The Sig 150W is a dual 18650, btw. I put the Eye on it at about half charge yesterday. Batteries are finishing recharging as I type and I'll see how much I get out of them on the tank later today. I probably vaped a 10th of it before my batts were ready for a new charge.

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
In my sig 150 I get a full tank and some change vaping at .5 ohms/30 watts with married vtc4's. The sig 150 is a beast, it's held up extremely well for me, only complaint is the spring loaded 510. Those springs get soft eventually and don't make as good a contact - been using my sig 150 every day for 4 months now and I often have to extend the center pin on my atties to get a solid reading, while it is easy to replace I'd rather have an adjustable / sturdy contact.

eLefAdEr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Inspired to bump up the resistance a little on my previous build, I re-wrapped with twisted 28g again (I think), same inside diameter with an extra wrap per side. Was aiming for 0.6Ω, ended up with 0.57Ω. I also did a little fiddling with the posts to ensure I don't get any contact between the negative and positive screws.

WlL3aFn.jpg

Not really any improvement in vapor production, might even be less... but the flavor is noticeably better. Takes another second or two to warm up but chaining inhales isn't harsh.

I'm considering an attempt at dual claptons in the near future, anyone tried that?

Reactions: thetrucker

Mark1963

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2014
Minnesota
Well, after using this for 2 weeks now, I really like this thing. It amazes me as to why it hasn't taken off in the vaping community. Maybe some are turned off by the width. Bleh. It looks fine on my Sig 150W (pix above). I love the juice capacity big time.

I just re-wicked it today after two weeks on the original wicking I did. Same result... no leaks and killer flavor. I did have minor leaking out of the airflow holes the other day, but I was outside and the tank was only 20% full.... and it was 84 outside. All contributing factors. Otherwise, no leaks.

And what I really like is that it isn't a juice hog. I have my original .6 ohm dual coils that I put in when I got his thing and it drinks juice as fast as the Subtank. Moderate for me.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Has anyone experienced leaking when having the Evil Eye laying on its side? I loved the Big Buddha which seems to be the inspiration for the Evil Eye, but couldn't get it to stay leak free when it was left laying down. Well, I could, but then it wouldn't wick all that wonderfully. I've had several other people mention this same issue with the BB so just wanted to make sure this issue didn't carry over into the EE?

Thanks!

Mark1963

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2014
Minnesota
Has anyone experienced leaking when having the Evil Eye laying on its side? I loved the Big Buddha which seems to be the inspiration for the Evil Eye, but couldn't get it to stay leak free when it was left laying down. Well, I could, but then it wouldn't wick all that wonderfully. I've had several other people mention this same issue with the BB so just wanted to make sure this issue didn't carry over into the EE?

Thanks!

I never lay any tank on its side. No leaks.

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
Has anyone experienced leaking when having the Evil Eye laying on its side?
I'm with the school of thought that if you can't lay a tank on its side, it's no longer a tank. It's an RDA that doesn't just weep, it vomits.

I vape no thicker than 60VG, so I have the luxury of being able to tuck cotton tails into the juice channels without dry hits. Any thicker (like 70VG) and you'll probably need to bore out those juice channels with a dremel to be able to tuck the tails.

Some people use high VG and wick their cotton so that it "brushes" the top of those channels, without tucking. I don't doubt that works, but I guarantee it's far from robust.

Reactions: UncleChuck

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
Wicks 90vg perfectly for me, and I always leave my tanks on their sides, no leaks no dry hits. I have some 26g 3mm coils in there right now, rayon stuffed super tight (or normal if you're using cotton) through the coils, attach chimney piece while bringing the tails of the wick up through the center, trim tails just above the top of the chimney and then use a mini screwdriver or whatever to push them down towards the corresponding juice channels and tidy them up, shouldn't leak and should wick good that way.

Reactions: Todd400

eLefAdEr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Has anyone found a source for the chimney cap o-ring? Mine has broken in one spot, though I think I can still use it if I'm careful. Probably twisted it too hard. Dimensions appear to be 10mm OD, 6mm ID with 2mm thickness. Fasttech has quite a few options in sizes very close to that, but not exact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread