FIRST RDA BUILD/FORUM POST W/QUESTIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexx142

May 7, 2015
hey vapers,
so its come to the point where i have come to the forums for some tips/help on my first build.
and my first actual post on the forums. :)

a bit of background.

so about two days ago i grabbed me a ToBH atty clone from Cigreen with chuff drip tip.

now, my FIRST actual build i used the pre-made coils that came with my atty.
it came out to a solid 0.24ohms. and i was getting decent vape, but i noticed it was 'popping' and 'bursting' the juice sort of like fireworks.

now today i built my first actual coil with some 24G wire and i decided to do a double-coil build.
i tried over 10 coils before i finally got a solid 0.34ohm atty.

now, it still spurts but much less than the 0.24ohms.

my mech mod generates roughly a 25w-35w depending on the life of my battery.

using samsumg 18650's and simple Japanese cotton. have no problem firing up. BUT...

my questions are:

1. am i using enough cotton / over jucing the atty?
2. are my coils set up properly or should i be aware of anything wrong? (refer to attached picture.)

3. is there anyone who knows how to get a good tasting vape without sacrificing clouds from this atty?

4. Is there a good walkthrough/tutorial on how to set-up a proper dual coil without compromising my mod?

* ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED *
Photo on 2015-05-06 at 11.20 PM.jpg

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Some constructive criticism, but could be the photo:

1. Your top coil looks crooked. You want the leads for both coils to be about the same length..
2. The top coil also looks longer...are they the same number of wraps? Do they light up at the same time?
3. Top coil might need a bit more wick?

Also you're pulling more than 35W :). Actually about 51W.

But, all in all, looks like a good first build :thumbs:

rexx142

May 7, 2015
ya i think its just the angle of the pic but both coils are fairly straight, but you are correct they are slightly angled downward and placed as high as possible for airflow purposes.
and yes good eye, i think i might have spun one coil an extra time lol :p

does the amount of spins result in a different ohm reading?
i was under the impression that the diameter of the coil is what determines the ohm reading.

i shall put a tad more cotton in the top coil! thanks for that :)

also wondering,

do i need to fill the bottom plate with juice or just the coils/wick?

and very nice to know i'm pulling 51w! haha too bad my atlantis v2 doesn't seem to jive with this mech mod. :nah:

Steven121588

Sep 11, 2014
New york
I agree with roxynoodle for a first build it looks good but you want to get them as identical as possible. If one lead is longer than the other than will lead to uneven resistances. As far as cotton goes. It should be snug not tight and just touching the bottom of the deck not squished in there . There should be an open space underneath the coil so you're not choking it. I always hated the tobh because of the tabs so you can't center your coils to have even cotton on both sides. I have seen people flipping the barrel over so that the airflow clears the table and just lift your coils over the tabs maybe that would help.

Reactions: rexx142

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yes, both diameter and number of wraps affect resistance. More wire = more resistance so both affect the total length of the wire.

I put some juice on the bottom plate.

Generally when you get popping its due to the wick not touching all of the inside of the coil.

What mech do you have? The Atlantis can be dangerous on mechs with hybrid top caps or connectors.

rexx142

May 7, 2015
interesting, thanks for the help guys. i really did try my best on perfecting it. but i definitely got room for improvements.

i was even thinking since the airflow blockers are in the way of a perfect centered coil, to do a dual-vertical coil and have the wicks facing upward?

i will definitely re-wick this bad boy now that i know not to tuck it underneath as much!

@roxynoodle i currently am using the following mod:

- Tree of life Clone by cigreen
- tobh black atty w/plastic chuff drip tip
- aspire atlantis V2 with a 0.3 ohm coil currently inside
- (2) 18650 samsung batteries 3.7v 2500 mAh
- (1) 18350 e-fest 800 - 3.7v

planning on getting a sigelei 150w box mod soon just so i have a regulated mod. :2cool:
what kind of things can go wrong with the atlantis on a mod like mine?
what exactly is a hybrid top cap?

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Ok, your Samsung battery is 20A. The 0.3 ohm builds are within its safety rating, but not by a lot. I'm worried about that 18350 though. Do you know its continuous amp rating? Both the Tobh and Atlantis are too low of resistance for it.

The Atlantis should be ok on the Tree of Life.

A hybrid top has no center pin in the 510. It allows the atty to sit right on the positive terminal of the battery. SMPL and 4nine are examples of that type of mech.

With your Tobh, clip your wick close to the coil on the outside of each (side near the top cap). That can help.

Reactions: Baditude

rexx142

May 7, 2015
ya i plan on investing into some better batteries down the line these costed me 11$ a piece canadian. you recommend any?

and those hybrids sound like trouble if your not careful! lol now i know better :p

as for the 18350 i haven't been able to find a good use for it, i was planning on using it for small vaping sessions in between my two bigger batteries charging. nothing too crazy. but i do realize that both my RDA build and my Atlantis will be sucking the dear life out of it.

i wouldn't have the slightest idea what the amp rating would be, but its a little guy, i'm guessing its used for much higher ohm usage mods/atomizers oppose to the low ohm setups im running?

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Could be the photo - ( I know I have problems taking a pic in my den here , either too dark or the light hits the shiny metal and too glary)
Coils don't really look the same , try to keep the spaces between the wraps as even as you can.
When wrapping have your wire taut as you wrap and each wrap next to one another.
Then after you've checked your atty has no shorts and the resistance is what you want then glow the coils and let go of fire button and get a screw driver and scrape along the coils. Do this a couple of times and it helps get the coils to glow evenly - It breaks an oxidation layer that forms on the coils.

At 0.34Ω with a battery in a mech mod your getting from 4.2 v - 3.7v 52 - 40 watts.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I recommend Sony vtc4 or Orbtonics 30A batteries for lower resistances in mech mods. As for a reliable source in Canada, I'm not sure. I can give you some reliable US vendors, but I know shipping between the US and Canada is quite high.

RTD, Orbtonics, Illumn and Lighteningvape are respected vendors.

I do use the Samsungs a lot myself, but tend to build above 0.4 ohm.

Yes, hybrid mechs can be dangerous, and one needs to be educated on their safe use.

I'm going to look for the specs on your 18350 here...

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Ok, I'm seeing a 10.5A rating on that Efest 18350. Efest tends to exaggerate their amp ratings.

IF its really 10.5A, then 4.2 ÷ 10.5 = 0.4 ohm. So the absolute lowest you could build is 0.4 ohm with no safety bumper. And of course that would be a new battery that hasn't started degrading yet. Myself, I would want to stay at 0.7ohm or above with it. I always leave a reasonable safety margin with batteries. Some may consider me overly cautious, but when something could explode in my hand or next to my face, I would rather err on the side of caution :)

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
does the amount of spins result in a different ohm reading?
i was under the impression that the diameter of the coil is what determines the ohm reading.
The resistance of the coil is determined by a) The length of the wire used (longer->more resistance) and the gauge of the wire (lower gauge->lower resistance per unit of length). As well, of course, as the coil material (Kanthal has different resistivity than Nichrome or Titanium or Nickel).

Using a bigger diameter uses more wire. Using more turns uses more wire, so increasing either one (keeping the other the same) will increase the coil resistance.

If you're looking to wind a coil with a specific resistance, the easiest method is to use a multimeter to measure out a length of wire with your target resistance. Leave an inch on either end for legs. Then wind your coil (saving an inch on either end). Stop winding when you've used up the length of wire.

rexx142

May 7, 2015
@roxynoodle Interesting read on that 18350 i will be sure to keep it at a reasonable level of resistance until i'm much more experienced with low-ohm building. thanks for that great research! :p

update:

since my first post, i have re-wicked my atty and it smokes much better with the helpful advice i have been given on this thread,
but when i re-wicked i seem to have forced a coil out of position, so when i test fire it scatters up and down the OhM reader now
and wont produce a consistent reading and if i even touch a coil to see if it moves it begins to fluctuate significantly, but when i dont touch it
it drops back down to a calm 0.34ohM . so for now i have taken it out and plan on going to my local vape shop for a free in-store lesson.

THESE ARE MY CONCLUSIONS ON MY FIRST BUILD:

* - In retrospect i assume i didn't make long enough legs when creating my coils
- my wicks were extremely stuffed and causing no airflow,
- my coils did not line up correctly nor did they look similar
- one too many turns on one of the coils
- coils don't fire simultaneously/they get red hot one after the other
- the center pin where both coils meet has ignited with a small flame 3 times when dry firing ( can anyone explain? )

If I missed anything that I may have messed up on or did not include please let me know.
once i can get a proper understanding and more practice i will be sure to post a follow up.

!also to be noted i did some reading on 'MACRO COILS' and they look very similar to the ones that came with my tobH.
could anyone shed some light on if these would be better for my build oppose to a
normal coil build/dual coil/etc. and should i maybe start looking into higher ohm building oppose to low ohm building.

personally i just want a flavorful vape that isn't to harsh or hot on my throat/lungs but still produce some decent smoke.

if anyone knows of a tutorial that could prove useful for tobH atty builds dual or single macro coils please link below.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
The flame, I hope was from e liquid. I always wash my atty with hot water and dry it before a rewick.

I don't have a Tobh, nor am I thr RDA guru so I won't suggest a build :). You have enough posts now to go to the RDA section, which is a subforum of the rebuildables area :). Someone there will help, I'm sure. Make sure you tell them you're using a Samsung so they suggest a build with appropriate resistance.

Reactions: rexx142
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread