New Angle On Teens And E-Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossy

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2013
Sydney Australia
This is getting more ridiculous everyday.............tried to break link but strange things happen

The allure of tricks boosting the popularity of e-cigarettes among teenagers:
http: //www. theage. com. au/lifestyle/life/the-allure-of-tricks-boosting-the-popularity-of-ecigarettes-among-teenagers-20150505-ggu207.html

:headbang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DrMA

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
I'll be blunt with this: I see little difference between holding up a child to defend an empty argument and holding up a child in combat in order to not be killed.
Without a shred of compelling evidence to back their claims of harm, they're using children as a shield to protect their particular world view.

I honestly don't know how to even address that level of thinking because it's completely foreign to me, but I'm open to suggestions.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
We expose it and ....ch about it and that's a very good thing. Making people aware. Passionate folks riled up can get things done.
I'd like to hear some hard ideas about how to confront a politician or bureaucrat who's using 'a child' to defend himself/herself in this situation.
I can speak for an hour on the relative benefits of vaping and the reasons for the various fights against it, but I can't come up with a 3 second soundbite to fit the news programs that will counter the 'other guy' holding up the child.

Somebody from the local TV or radio station puts a mic in your face and you have three seconds. What do you say?

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I'll be blunt with this: I see little difference between holding up a child to defend an empty argument and holding up a child in combat in order to not be killed.
Without a shred of compelling evidence to back their claims of harm, they're using children as a shield to protect their particular world view.

I honestly don't know how to even address that level of thinking because it's completely foreign to me, but I'm open to suggestions.

A blunt, spot-on, shocking analogy might work. Got any more?

Reactions: EBates

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
Demonizing the demonizers doesn't work very well beyond our bounds. The propaganda has roots that run generations deep.

I think in this case that it's very accurate.

"I'll be blunt with this: I see little difference between holding up a child to defend an empty argument and holding up a child in combat in order to not be killed.
Without a shred of compelling evidence to back their claims of harm, they're using children as a shield to protect their particular world view."

Saying anything else would be a distraction.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Livestock is better. You suggest that antz want to treat children like animals, through something similar to the animal welfare regulations. Which is completely inappropriate as children need parenting/education not fencing, cowboys with guns and electric prodding sticks. etc.

In a longer discussion you have to start by splitting children in 2 categories, "small children" and "teenagers". Once you clarify that smoking and other stuff are teenager/adolescent issues not toddler ones, you have eliminated from the table the impactful image of toddlers with cigars (so dear to antz). For the rest of the discussion use the word "adolescents".

Then it should be pretty easy from there.

Last edited:

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Demonizing the demonizers doesn't work very well beyond our bounds. The propaganda has roots that run generations deep.

Borrowing your analogy and and coating it with buffering for easier digestion:

"I don't think children want to be in the way of helping adults, including being placed between adults and Tobacco Harm Reduction - especially children with parents who smoke. Just as you wouldn't want a child held up between armies in combat, it's a mistake to put children in the middle of this idealogical conflict."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread