Vaping causing pneumonia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Are they doctors? A couple people saying that people they know have gotten pneumonia from vaping is hardly evidence that vaping was the actual culprit. That and coupled with your search results showing basically nobody has gotten pneumonia I wouldn't be too worried about it. In regards to your asthma, there's been quite a few threads about vaping and asthma on here.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=29970226

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
This is my own personal story regarding lung disease and vaping. I have been diagnosed with asthma and COPD. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease consists of bronchitis chronic>acute and emphysema. As you know having asthma can lead to acute respiratory distress for some people. In the beginning I started using a PG-VG mix. Within two months I had an exacerbation (acute-bronchitis). I went to my doctor got on steroids, fast acting inhalers and anti-biotics. I had to quit cigarettes. By smoking these (46 years) I was in a chronic state of bronchitis. I read every article possible and made the decision to use VG only. I then found liquid made by a company using Aesma accreditation. Since that first attack I did not have another until 3 weeks ago. ( I am an ex-smoker of 16 months) This one however was originated by someone painting in an enclosed area without ventilation using a COV paint. I knew the instant I walked in there that I was going to be in trouble. Two days later I was diagnosed with severe chemically exposed asthmatic bronchitis. I did not contract pneumonia (but I do get pneumonia vaccines) because I did not hesitate in getting treatment.

Because of my history of smoking and my lung problems I am hesitant to mention my problems for fear of humiliation and misunderstanding. But I also feel it is my obligation to inform people that when the have a lung problem such as asthma, to do due diligence in paying attention to their body and heed it's advice. I had asthma long before I ruined my lungs by smoking. You know- multiple environmental and food allergies. Ragweed season and dust bunnies are irritants for me. Wheezing, coughing etc.

Some here at the forum will suggest PG, some a mix, some PG. Everyone has different tolerance levels. Stay informed. Read the articles on vaping for people with COPD/Asthma. And most importantly listen to your lungs. They will let you know. Vaping has not seemed to have had an effect on either my asthma or my COPD.

My advice: READ,READ, READ! Coughing? Wheezing? Pain? Pay attention. Stay informed. Pneumonia vaccine? Just MY thoughts.

There are several people here at the forum that have lung problems I am sure they will offer their journey too.
Best of luck and I truly understand your fears.
Use an accredited juice.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I also have asthma. I find VG to be too heavy for my lungs, if I use more than about 16% in my mixes, so I stay at 84% PG, and have no issues.

That is not to say that my asthma has gone away; it hasn't, and probably never will. In fact, I now have to use more medication for my asthma to keep it under control -- I never really needed a maintenance medication before I started vaping, just a rescue inhaler, but now I also need Advair, and still use my rescue inhaler.

I believe the reason for that exacerbation of my asthma is because I never was a non-smoking asthmatic, until last year; I had already been a smoker for 10 yrs when I developed asthma, and over the next 29 yrs, I managed to keep things balanced, though I did go from Light cigarettes to ultra-lights, just because the Lights made me cough so much -- I also developed the habit of inhaling very shallowly, which also prevented a lot of coughing, and fortunately enough, proved to be very helpful when I started vaping; I already knew how to do shallow inhales and only had to learn to do nose exhales.

In any case, it's my belief that quitting smoking/starting vaping disrupted that perilously-balanced homeostasis, which led to more asthmatic symptoms, which at some point will probably ease, as my body becomes more accustomed to its "new normal." Despite more feelings of shortness of breath, after nearly 10 months of non-smoking thanks to vaping, I have very little to cough-up, and what little there is, is thin and clear, not the thick murky stuff I coughed up *constantly* as a smoker; it's probably just the PG/VG being expelled from my lungs, rather than all the toxins and particulates that built up in every day's smoking.

I have seen NOTHING *legitimate* which supports the idea that vaping causes pneumonia; anyone who told you that
a) is wildly uninformed,
b) has an ANTZ agenda, and/or
c) just likes to hear themselves talk and probably hopes to scare and thus exercise some control over someone who vapes.

Andria

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
I have been coughing up blood for about a week. Went to the doctor yesterday, he sent me to have a chest X-ray. Doctor's office called today to tell me I have pneumonia. Sent a script for a antibiotic to my pharmacy and told me to use Robotussin. Said if it doesn't clear up in 14 days to call him. Also getting another chest X-ray in a month.

I have no idea how I got it. Haven't had a cigarette since 2012...

Of course my fiancée and I discussed the possibility of it being related to vaping due to all the hype but we have concluded it has to be something else. She vapes more than I do, at least according to the puff counter on our P3's ... lol.

I vape 80/20 PG/VG and tend to believe the PG may actually help as I have/had no other symptoms aside from the blood and not being able to vape above 8 watts. I feel fine.

I have decided not to tell anyone as everyone we have has asked the same question, "Is it from Vaping?" At this point, all we can say is, "No." So far, they know to drop it...

nopatch

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2011
India
... In fact, I now have to use more medication for my asthma to keep it under control -- I never really needed a maintenance medication before I started vaping, just a rescue inhaler, but now I also need Advair, and still use my rescue inhaler.

Andria

The evidence, in your case, is clear but the Faith makes it refuse to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread