Optimal wattage with regards to resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Im curious on finding out more about what wattage I 'should' be vaping at, at certain resistances.

Currently I have a twisted 26g A1 Kanthal build reading out at .8 ohms

I generally vape it around 20-25 watts. Im noticing that there is good flavour and vapour but I am curious to know if there is a more optimal range that I should be vaping at.

Any help would be great guys

Cheers,
Jack

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
From your post I'm assuming you're using regulated mods and rebuildable attys.

There are IMO no hard and fast rules about optimal watt settings and as long as you're not burning (degrading) juice you can experiment and see what you like. If you like the vape, that's the best power level for you with that setup and that juice.

Having said that, you can predict how changing some part of the setup will change your vape experience but resistance is only one of the variables that come into play. For example using thinner wire at the same resistance and watts (power) will make your vape warmer and decrease coil warm up time. You need enough air flow so you can inhale fast enough for higher power and slow enough for lower power levels. At 20-25 watts I imagine you are doing lung hits. If you tried to do a mouth to lung hit, moving less air through the atty, your atty would get warmer, your vape might become warmer, flavor will change and vapor production decreases. Then try a faster, deeper lung hit than normal and the opposite would happen.

Atty design is a big factor too. Attys that are designed for lower power use generally have smaller air chamber volume and less air flow. You can't make an atty designed to vape well at 8 watts to vape well at 30 watts without modifying it.

If you want to get more technical with it you can learn how to use the Steam Engine calculators. State-o-flux has some great tutorials on how to use them here. Or you could just learn the basic concepts, some of which I mentioned above.

Hope that helps a bit :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread