RDA What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cages2Clouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2015
Alright so I'm new to RDA's and of course my first coils I built and slapped on my Maphisto clone (not sure which manufacturer) were horribly built lol I tested it and it was at .2-.3 ohms I think. It wasn't bad though, good flavor and clouds but it was only mildly warm. Now I recently got an authentic royal hunter and I've heard there's great flavor and clouds on it but when I built some coils and slapped then in (tested at .42) it way less flavor and less clouds then the Mephisto, and nowhere near as much as my Herakles puts out with a .6. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
I do not have both of them but look at the outfit of them, I guess Royal hunter is taller than Mephisto, right? Oh and Royal hunter has a wide bore drip tip, right? and Royal has a bigger air hole too. So I think the flavor with Royal is unreal but you can have a huge cloud with it if you lower the resistence, deep lung inhale and high vg ratio. I have a clone Littleboy rda and I build dual coils at the same side (use only one airhole), this build improves the flavor a little bit.

Cages2Clouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2015
How do I get the coils where I want them? I tried making the ends of the coils to bend more at a 90 degree angle instead of straight out so I could have it more away from the wall of the rda and centered. (Btw is it a problem if your coils touch the wall of the rda?) All that happened is that the "90" degree angles heated up way faster then the coils and burnt off of them.

Cages2Clouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2015
Ahh the taste part of the reviewers. In all the reviews I have seen, hundreds? Only a bare handful complain about poor flavor, most say good or great flavor. It seems that the more expensive the equipment them more they rave about it. Green does wave his vape budget hands about a bit though :)
Actualy I havnt watched reviews on the Royal Hunter, I read personal opinions about it on here and although I didn't expect it to be the greatest RDA ever I was experiencing verry little flavor in comparison to other equipment and since I just started building coils and using RDA's I figured the fault was on me.

Cages2Clouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2015
Yes building coils and wicking is a semi art form. You must wick different tanks and such in different ways for them to perform correctly.
Vaping is not at all like smoking, MUCH more complicated. One reason that some to not make the switch from cigs to vaping.
I actually like that about Vaping, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when I do something I enjoy so I know I won't feel at ease until I get the coil building down. lol However, on the flip side of that personality trait and this "hobby" my wallet hates me for my ever going search for the right e juice. I have a general idea, which is good, now I'm trying to sift through all the variations and hidden gems I wouldn't think of lol Plus if like to get some extracts and experiment with making my own and possibly improving the flavors I don't like.

Reactions: Tansi

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
I actually like that about Vaping, I'm a bit of a perfectionist when I do something I enjoy so I know I won't feel at ease until I get the coil building down. lol However, on the flip side of that personality trait and this "hobby" my wallet hates me for my ever going search for the right e juice. I have a general idea, which is good, now I'm trying to sift through all the variations and hidden gems I wouldn't think of lol Plus if like to get some extracts and experiment with making my own and possibly improving the flavors I don't like.

Yep I make all my own juice except for my tobacco flavor and I enjoy fiddling with coils and wicks. Even in Evods and such there is different coil and wicking techniques and materials that add to the vapiing experience. I drilled out the air holes on my Evods and improved the vape quality quite a bit. Cotton wicking, etc... Plus it is cheaper too and I like that.

Reactions: Cages2Clouds

Cages2Clouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2015
Yep I make all my own juice except for my tobacco flavor and I enjoy fiddling with coils and wicks. Even in Evods and such there is different coil and wicking techniques and materials that add to the vapiing experience. I drilled out the air holes on my Evods and improved the vape quality quite a bit. Cotton wicking, etc... Plus it is cheaper too and I like that.
Is there a noticeable difference between those pre twined wicking strips and cotton sheets? I've been using some cotton I got in a rda building kit but havnt tried or heard much about variations of cotton. Also have you tried different flavor extract brands and do you have one you prefer overall? I know so many variables and subjectivity goes into the flavor aspect and all that but do what stands out?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Most here use Flavor Aprentice flavors it seems. I have issues with artificial ingredients and use natural flavors. the best fruit flavors I have found are from Flavor Concentrates. More expensive than TFA but smooth and no aftertaste for me. I am currently trying some Organic flavors from Desert Vapes. Try some of the TFA flavors and study on the DIY forum. If the TFA flavors work for you then enjoy, they have a better selection and are cheaper than what I use.. If you have no issues with juice bought from stores then the TFA flavors should work fine for you. Capellas is another flavor many like and Inawera.

On the wicking I use 100% cotton salon coil from Sally beauty supply works for me just as well as the Japanese cotton and LOTS cheaper 3.29 for about a years worth for me. Many use organic cotton balls from Walgreens and like them too. the Japanese cotton sheets are fine just peel off the hard outer layers and use the soft middle stuff.

Reactions: Cages2Clouds

Cages2Clouds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2015
Most here use Flavor Aprentice flavors it seems. I have issues with artificial ingredients and use natural flavors. the best fruit flavors I have found are from Flavor Concentrates. More expensive than TFA but smooth and no aftertaste for me. I am currently trying some Organic flavors from Desert Vapes. Try some of the TFA flavors and study on the DIY forum. If the TFA flavors work for you then enjoy, they have a better selection and are cheaper than what I use.. If you have no issues with juice bought from stores then the TFA flavors should work fine for you. Capellas is another flavor many like and Inawera.

On the wicking I use 100% cotton salon coil from Sally beauty supply works for me just as well as the Japanese cotton and LOTS cheaper 3.29 for about a years worth for me. Many use organic cotton balls from Walgreens and like them too. the Japanese cotton sheets are fine just peel off the hard outer layers and use the soft middle stuff.
Awesome, thanks man I appreciate all the help! I'll definitely buy some small sizes and see where my taste buds take me lol and with that much cotton my girlfriend will never again be asking "where did all my cotton balls and wipes go"!? Lol :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread