Hiring policies ... and a new company on my list to boycott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee2006

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
They have every right to decide who they hire and their hiring policies......
I just wish I had an account at Huntington Bank I could close, to exercise my rights :)

I happened to see this while searching the web and was really taken back...
If they truly cared about heath and wellness you'd think they'd support alternatives to smoking...... :(

tobacco-Free Hiring Practice: To demonstrate our commitment to health and wellness, Huntington will not hire any candidate who uses tobacco or any nicotine product including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, pipes, smokeless tobacco, chewing tobacco, snuff or snus, nicotine gum, the nicotine patch or any other kind of nicotine replacement product (where permitted by applicable state law). Candidates applying for positions in those states will be notified of this practice during the recruitment process and, if offered a position, will be screened for cotinine (to check for use of tobacco and/or nicotine products and/or nicotine replacement therapy products) before they begin employment. If the position to which you're applying is covered by this practice, the job application will provide greater detail as to what constitutes tobacco use.

Huntington does not accept solicitation from Third Party Recruiters for any position.

Last edited:

DEA7H INC

ECF Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Oregon
What's next?

"Huntington will not hire any candidate who uses caffeine or any caffeine products including coffee, tea , energy drinks, gums, patches , specially selected coffee beans hand picked by monkeys from a remote mountain location in eastern Asia to be used in magical pumpkin spiced caramel skinny cal lattes (sorry hipsters), caffeinated enemas and suppositories."

Any company that is anti Tobacco harm reduction can bugger off.

Last edited:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I'm pretty sure some HR depts would like us to live in a Gattaca world, with genetic screening for optimal employees. Fortunately, I work in a creative industry - weed out the nicotine (and other substance) users and you'd lose most of the talent, so no move is being made to enforce "the clean life".

Was there anything in there proclaiming their commitment to honest and ethical lending practices?

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
I'm pretty sure some HR depts would like us to live in a Gattaca world, with genetic screening for optimal employees. Fortunately, I work in a creative industry - weed out the nicotine (and other substance) users and you'd lose most of the talent, so no move is being made to enforce "the clean life".

Was there anything in there proclaiming their commitment to honest and ethical lending practices?

I guess they don't appreciate creativity in the accounting business :p

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA
HA! For commitment to Health and Wellness!? I call BS; it is all about them saving money on health insurance plans ... pure and simple as that!
They're penny wise and pound foolish. Companies will end up spending more on health insurance by imposing clean living on their employees, meddling in their personal lives, than by living and letting live. The psychiatric costs alone will negate the alleged savings on premiums because employees will end up with nervous breakdowns from the excessive control employers like Huntington put on people's leisure time.

catlady60

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Nazareth, PA

NICnurse

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Kansas City, MO
My old job as a bedside RN in a huge hospital banned tobacco anywhere near the hospital, tested for cotinine for health insurance reasons, blah blah. I stealth vaped everyday at work in the bathroom. When I finished my masters degree and became a nurse practitioner, I gave the proberbial middle finger to that hospital (not really, but I did in the privacy of my own home lol) and at my new job, they just ban using tobacco near entrances or exits. There are 5-6 of us who vape. I do so in the privacy of my office all the time. Lady at the front desk does it in front of the entire lobby. No cotinine tests required whatsoever. I love my new job for multiple reasons, the tobacco policy is just one of them. I would never work for an "anti-tobacco zealot" facility ever again. There are 2 hospitals here in the Kansas City area that no longer hire people that use tobacco. I would never ever work for them. I consider it their loss because a lot of healthcare professionals smoke, vape, and chew tobacco. They could be missing out on one of the best RN's, NP, MD, DO, pharmacist, etc because of their stupid anti tobacco use rules.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
They're penny wise and pound foolish. Companies will end up spending more on health insurance by imposing clean living on their employees, meddling in their personal lives, than by living and letting live. The psychiatric costs alone will negate the alleged savings on premiums because employees will end up with nervous breakdowns from the excessive control employers like Huntington put on people's leisure time.
amen and again I say amen

Reactions: catlady60

MrAngry

Feb 11, 2015
Plover WI
I'm a truck driver. LTL delivery route, so all day cab work. We technically have had a no smoking policy in the trucks for a while, simply due to the irritants it leaves for non smokers who may slip seat the trucks.

They've never actually enforced it and really, don't give a rats behind.

The funny part is, I've never smoked in vehicles or my home. I was a cigar in the shop our on the back porch guy. I vape all the time, and my slip seat driver at nigh is a non smoker period. Doesn't bother him a bit, but he gives me crap for the fruity smell I leave in the truck. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

riseabovethestorm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
Grayling, MI, USA
www.kalkaskamma.com
Is that anything like "a little bit pregnant?"

^^That is good.

Was having a discussion the other day with my mother (a fellow vaper,) about the ridiculousness of anti-vaping laws. In Lansing, our state capital, you can smoke {Moderated} in the open during a certain festival, you can open carry a firearm in the legislative buildings, but you can use a PV in a bar at 1AM.

And the government BS Wheel keeps on a' turning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kkay59

wetclay

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
UAE
Until someone files a federal lawsuit and wins, these policies will keep appearing...
I second that.
Aren't these policies unconstitutional anyway? What happened to equal opportunity and non-discrimination policies?
What amazes me is that they include NRT, a prescription medicine supposedly. WTH! they don't exclude methadone users from employment! Why don't they include champix??
Sorry. Needed to vent.

Reactions: kkay59

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
I second that.
Aren't these policies unconstitutional anyway? What happened to equal opportunity and non-discrimination policies?
What amazes me is that they include NRT, a prescription medicine supposedly. WTH! they don't exclude methadone users from employment! Why don't they include champix??
Sorry. Needed to vent.

Yes they do exclude methadone users. It shows up in the urine as an opioid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread