Cthulhu RTA Discusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
ok I'm on day 3 of vaping this tank and it has won me over. Great airflow, good to great flavor at the right power, and wicks flawlessly.

Now my question is, is it possible to wick this tank so that it's bone dry even after it sits a while? I get a little seepage through the airflow overnight or all day when I'm at work. Flawless if you vape it all day, but a little weepy if it sits a while. Nature of the beast with this kind of big airflow, or can it be wicked so that it doesn't lose a drop?

Maybe you need more wick in the slots. Mine can sit for hours or through the night with no issues.

scooterholic

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
Nampa, Idaho
I really want to get one of these but I already spent my vape budget for the month. I had enough for the ft clone so I order that and I'll pick up a authentic next month. with what you guys are saying about the condition this thing comes in maybe I'll just stick with the clone Lol. Nah I have to order a real one.

Todai

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2014
I really want to get one of these but I already spent my vape budget for the month. I had enough for the ft clone so I order that and I'll pick up a authentic next month. with what you guys are saying about the condition this thing comes in maybe I'll just stick with the clone Lol. Nah I have to order a real one.

You've got to be kidding me. Who would go through all the time and effort to clone and manufacture an atomizer that's only $30 to begin with? LOL, China never ceases to amaze me.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Even the real expensive exclusive atties can and have come in covered in oil. My first real KFL was filled with it, took countless washings to get that taste out of it. My Super T Strata was horribly oily and burry.

I wash all atomizers and drip tips when I get them in. I think alot of times when people get a new atty and find that their juice tastes off, it might not be the atty itself, but just still oily.

Reactions: roxynoodle

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
Yes, my authentic SquapeR was extremely oily and nasty. I wash the heck out of everything when I get it. Machine oil isn't something i complain about. I just assume its there. I also assume the person who assembled mine might not have good hygiene :confused: And thirdly, I assume machine shops are dirty.

Vapenstein

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2010
day four and this effing tank has effectively ruined single coil tanks for me :(
I gave my ST Mini to my oldest son and I am not enjoying my Lemo 2 now.
It vapes so well the only real drawback is you are going to have to DIY if you don't already. I vape a tank on the drive to work and a tank on the drive home. My old tanks a tank would get me there and back.

I am really going to miss how easy rebuilding those Kayfun style decks was.

JoshuaC

Unresolved Status
Apr 27, 2015
My Brief Cthulhu review-by kaanatila

I'm trying to write this review as short as possible cause almost every subber knows this tank in here. So I got the improved second batch.

Pros: +Vapor production +small diameter chimney, good flavor +minimal spitback using low vg juices +machining & the threads are very good +no leaks at all. +(edit) came clean.. wash and go

Cons -it's almost impossible to unscrew top fill cap by fingers (I'm using bottom fill and verry happy with it). and yes I saw that smart modification but didnt like how it looks aesthetically.

-grub screws loves the allen key. it's hard to separate them after fastening. I'm using n.n. pliers cause it's thin like a toothpick.. you know. I prefer standart philips screws.

-Because this bad boy is a very nice drinker, liquid capacity is not enough for me. Top filling parts should built more compact imo.

-wobbly single oring drip tip. it's not a con to me but some may doesnt like it. Smog sent me another lil one as a goodie, and I have plenty of drip tips, so it's okay.

Conclusion

I have been vaping with kayfuns, tayfuns, subtanks and lemos (1-2) since they released, I'm very impressed by cthulhu's performance so far. My searching for good rich vape tank is over. My other rtas started to collect dust.

I went out last night and everybody liked the way of it's vaping, even smokers did and wanted to get one.
https://igcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.n...5-15/11358154_1840853286139725_82913346_n.jpg[1]
I would like to thank Smog for decent service and Ironhammer for build tutorial & review.

Ps: English is not my native language so forgive me officers if I used bad grammar.

Thank you for reading =)

Reactions: SteamHead

RAWRferal

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2015
London
My Brief Cthulhu review-by kaanatila

I'm trying to write this review as short as possible cause almost every subber knows this tank in here. So I got the improved second batch.

Pros: +Vapor production +small diameter chimney, good flavor +minimal spitback using low vg juices +machining & the threads are very good +no leaks at all. +(edit) came clean.. wash and go

Cons -it's almost impossible to unscrew top fill cap by fingers (I'm using bottom fill and verry happy with it). and yes I saw that smart modification but didnt like how it looks aesthetically.

-grub screws loves the allen key. it's hard to separate them after fastening. I'm using n.n. pliers cause it's thin like a toothpick.. you know. I prefer standart philips screws.

-Because this bad boy is a very nice drinker, liquid capacity is not enough for me. Top filling parts should built more compact imo.

-wobbly single oring drip tip. it's not a con to me but some may doesnt like it. Smog sent me another lil one as a goodie, and I have plenty of drip tips, so it's okay.

Conclusion

I have been vaping with kayfuns, tayfuns, subtanks and lemos (1-2) since they released, I'm very impressed by cthulhu's performance so far. My searching for good rich vape tank is over. My other rtas started to collect dust.

I went out last night and everybody liked the way of it's vaping, even smokers did and wanted to get one.
https://igcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.n...5-15/11358154_1840853286139725_82913346_n.jpg[1]
I would like to thank Smog for decent service and Ironhammer for build tutorial & review.

Ps: English is not my native language so forgive me officers if I used bad grammar.

Thank you for reading =)
The drip tip I got has 2 o-rings...

JoshuaC

Unresolved Status
Apr 27, 2015
we might be inspired by Ryan's review

Cthulu1.jpg

Well another day and another RTA. In our never ending quest for flavour we took a look at the Cthulhu RTA. The biggest selling point on this one is it has the largest juice channels currently on the RTA market. It is priced very reasonably and is made from medical grade stainless steel.

The design is very similar to Youde’s Goliath and Goblin, but with an increased deck size and juice channels as well as top filling! The deck is easy to build and you can jam in 3mm coils if you wish (2.5mm performed better). We built a 0.35 Ohm 24 gage setup and found it didn’t like that much heat so we went down to a 0.4 Ohm 26 gage for review purposes.

Wicking this bad boy is much easier than some of the other RTAs out there thanks to those juice channels and it is next to impossible to get a dry hit (if you chain super hard, like 4-5 long hits in a row you can get the taste of a dry hit starting, but who vapes like that).

Juice consumption seems reasonable, a full 4ml tank lasting at least a couple hours. Airflow is good, it’s not massive as Cthulhu Mod advertises, the Goblin still has an edge over the rest. We found you get slightly smoother and better taste with the AFC slightly closed, which means there is a bottle neck inside, or we think it could be the rough edges inside the chimney.

That brings us to build quality and design. The materials are very good, threading isn’t janky but looks and feels rough, and that leeds to the overall finish of the internals, or the lack there of a final finish. It feels like production of these units were rushed, there wasn’t the final care of buffing and polishing the edges of the airflow holes, chimney, or threadings. When you get yours double check the airflow channels at the bottom, ours came with drill shavings still attached inside, we had to clear them out.

Top filling works very well and is worry and mess free. No leaking of any sort has occurred. As with most RTAs they seem to like being set below 4 Volts so watch the wattages on this one.

So what do we think? The Cthulhu is a promising design and has many improvements over the Goblin and the Goliath but, and this is a big but. The flavour is a little harsh and we think it’s the build finish that is the culprit here. If the edges were smooth and silky we believe this RTA would be on top, but that just isn’t the case. The fact that this is much easier to wick and doesn’t suffer from the dry hit susceptibility of the competition still make it a considered purchase, but we are all about flavour and we still give the upper hand currently to the Goliath.

Update: Okay so it seems wicking this puppy a certain way makes a big difference! We are upping our rating and opinion of this bad boy. Wick this very similarly to the Goblin (without as much fuss), trim to the deck and have very little wick in the channels (like just a hair), most of the wick sitting on the top of the deck. Make sure you wick the coils just enough, don’t over stuff them. Have the coils 1-2 mm off the air holes and this RTA gives great flavour and no dry hits (you can take really long hauls to your heart’s desire). Wicking just enough rather than as much as possible really makes a difference on flavour. Maybe this one has the edge after all. Make sure to check out .... Kickers review and tutorial (link is below).

Pros:
– Large build deck
– Doesn’t Leak
– Clean Design Aesthetic
– Easy to Build
– Good Flavour (but a little harsh)
– Easy Top Filling
– Good Airflow
– Great Wicking

Cons:
– Poor Final Finish Internally
– Threading is a little rough
– Rough/Sharp edges inside the chimney
– Airflow ring very hard to adjust
– Airflow a little rough (probably the sharp internal edges)
– Metal drill shavings in airflow channels needed to be scraped and cleared

Video Review: .... Kickers
Overall Rating (1-10): 9

re-post from: Cthulhu RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread