Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
I've changed my entire approach to this sale...

I actually came to agree with Wolfenstark last night, without even reading his post yet...

While the majority of these woodys are absolutely wonderful (I admit, a few I don't like but not many) a lot of them actually had me thrown through a loop. I have come to agree with Wolf when he says he wants one that looks like wood. The good thing is this completely rearranges my priorities list, and, decreases my stress level about 100x over.

If I had a Woodville, I'd be going for one of those stabilized, hands down...or one of the rare woods. But I don't. Any will be special. Second thing is I thought about it in terms of "what will blend in with my natural environment." The answers suddenly became clear, more abundant, and less stressful.

I've got my top pick and I think my chances are much better than they were for one of the true eye catchers in the bunch. Yet at the same time I think I'll be happier with it. Now I need 4 specific backup ideas though :facepalm:

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
lol you know that the purples would speak to me!! Really love that birdseye wood. The curly and spalted maples are very pretty woods also, but don't look right on the purple heart to me. I've definitely gotten a bit of education on wood looking at these. Can't wait to see the ones that everyone gets. Will be neat to find out who likes what!!

Purple is one of my favorites along with red and blue ones. A combo dual color even better. :)

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
I believe I have come up with a brilliant scheme to make money off of the next woodvil sale. 1 week before the sale date, I will start selling folks clear plastic keyboard drool protectors :)

Great idea. Also, I would buy a "mouth spritzer" from ya. Here's how it works: It's a bottle that hovers in front of my face and periodically spritzes water into my agape mouth as I stare at Woodvils on my phone.

jifjifjif

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2011
Vape Canaveral, FL
Um, I have a list of 14 that I would love to have so I think my chances are pretty good that I will be able to get one that I want. I am having a hard time deciding which is my top pick.

I'm in the same boat with 12. I'm having my wife and girls tell me their top 3 and they're doing it! It's awesome.

My wife likes the door being different from the body and 9 year old likes bubinga (I think it's due to the shiny poly finish)

rudy4653

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 2, 2012
CT
[HASHTAG]#307[/HASHTAG], looks like the Koa to me.
[HASHTAG]#298[/HASHTAG] looks like the body is stabilized pattern. I don't think it is resin, but might be wrong.
Thanks Karen, figured I'd be drawn to the Koa as that is what I have, just looks different with that beautiful pattern!

Reactions: Debadoo

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
FWIW, here's the count of BODY material I've come up with:

birdseye maple 5
bloodwood 14
bubinga 16
caribbean rosewood 21
cherry 18
cocobolo 52
jatoba 31
lacewood 19
paduak 11
purpleheart 22
quilted maple 1
red malle 1
red mallee 4
red mallee (blem) 1
red mallee (clr resin) 1
royal walnut 2
spalted maple (clr resin) 1
stabilized 1
stabilized blue 1
stabilized curly maple 2
utile 18
walnut 32
wenge 15
white oak 16
yellowheart 16
zebra 25
Grand Total 346

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
It's really early where I am (for me) and so I may seem a little scrambled in this comment but I'm at the point of dreaming about these Woodvil mods so I'd like to contribute how I narrowed it down to a top 5 and then First Choice.

I wrote a list of mod numbers that caught my eye enough to buy. I was liberal with my choices unless my inner voice said "I don't love it quite enough." The first list had about 35 mods.

Went back through the list and took screenshots of each on my iPad. Cropped the photos from the site until the mod was the entire photo (thus enlarging the photos).

Studied each mod and narrowed it down to 10-12 from that group.

Rinse, repeat until I had a top 5. Chose my favorite from that group.

And although I am still solidly in the camp that any in the lot for sale would be a wonderful thing to procure, I now have a First Choice, a Top Five Backup Plan, a Top 12 and a Top 35. None of my choices are the ones I think will go first -- that is my choice to forfeit a chance to get one of those -- but all in the 35 are showstoppers.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
It's really early where I am (for me) and so I may seem a little scrambled in this comment but I'm at the point of dreaming about these Woodvil mods so I'd like to contribute how I narrowed it down to a top 5 and then First Choice.

I wrote a list of mod numbers that caught my eye enough to buy. I was liberal with my choices unless my inner voice said "I don't love it quite enough." The first list had about 35 mods.

Went back through the list and took screenshots of each on my iPad. Cropped the photos from the site until the mod was the entire photo (thus enlarging the photos).

Studied each mod and narrowed it down to 10-12 from that group.

Rinse, repeat until I had a top 5. Chose my favorite from that group.

And although I am still solidly in the camp that any in the lot for sale would be a wonderful thing to procure, I now have a First Choice, a Top Five Backup Plan, a Top 12 and a Top 35. None of my choices are the ones I think will go first -- that is my choice to forfeit a chance to get one of those -- but all in the 35 are showstoppers.

That's what I did with all the zebras! Makes it easy then that way.

Of course I'd imagine my choice may be different if I could see both sides and not just the door.

Astron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Washington
That's what I did with all the zebras! Makes it easy then that way.

Of course I'd imagine my choice may be different if I could see both sides and not just the door.

Steamstack -- go back and watch the videos Rob posted of the mods. I found my top choice and was able to see the back. It might take a minute but it was fun LOL :)

My top choice looks different in the direct sunlight video than it does in the close-up photo. The close-up photo appears more red (preferred). I'm keeping that in mind when I look at the video. I might be incorrect.

kinggirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Dallas
Steamstack -- go back and watch the videos Rob posted of the mods. I found my top choice and was able to see the back. It might take a minute but it was fun LOL :)

My top choice looks different in the direct sunlight video than it does in the close-up photo. The close-up photo appears more red (preferred). I'm keeping that in mind when I look at the video. I might be incorrect.
Is the video in this thread? I'm going to have to try to backtrack to find it.

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Having not been through this before (Duh!), how does it work? Do you have to get through the checkout process - which I assume is PayPal - before you can be assured you bought it? Does the checkout process take you directly to PayPal? I rarely use PayPal ... Is it best to have already logged in? Not looking for trade secrets, here; just would like to understand the process. Thanks!

One other thing. Two nights ago, the site said cookies have to be enabled to buy. So, I enabled all cookies, which I don't like to do. This morning, I went back to my normal cookie setting (block from pop ups and third party advertisers), and refreshed. No "cookie message." Seems odd. Has anyone else seen this, and does anyone know if cookies really do have to be enabled?

ETA: please forgive me for asking questions that I could have answered myself, just by researching a bit more. So, it looks like Rob takes Visa & MC, and the checkout process needs to be done to claim victory :). Yes?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread