PART 6 -The Official MyVapeJuice Family Room (Crazy Chit Chat Thread - Live LAUGH Love and Vape)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
I think just about everybody that has tools has one sitting around somewhere that's never used Oh and you want a 6 point socket the 12 point ones can break real easy :)
I did use it a lot back then. Used to do my own work. Water pumps, timing chain (when they were still chains:D), brakes, a CV joint (once), even pulled a tranny once. But...that was before cars became the ridiculously complicated beasts they are today! Now I'm at a loss...

oldbikeguy

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
    I did use it a lot back then. Used to do my own work. Water pumps, timing chain (when they were still chains:D), brakes, a CV joint (once), even pulled a tranny once. But...that was before cars became the ridiculously complicated beasts they are today! Now I'm at a loss...

I just finished bolting the motor back in my bike had to drop it down to get the back valve cover off and of course had to just about dismantle the entire bike to do that, now I redoing the wiring harness it was kind of a rush job back when I put it together the first time :)

rdsok

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Norman, Ok
    If ya want to get your Weather Geek on...

COD Meteorology -- NexLab Homepage

Probably one of the best weather data and forecast sites that's free that I've seen. To get to the forecast tools go to the Weather Analysis Tools menu then select Numerical Models. 9 different models with several products each ( CAPE, Precip, Vortice, etc etc ) most of which I have no idea about what they are telling me. Once you've selected one, select the area you are interested in on the left and a product from below that. There is a slider across the top of each map that lets you select how many hours ahead you want to look at... or click the loop to go through all they've gotten done already.

Here is an example map from HRRR of a simulated composite reflectivity ( radar ) for the south central region 7 hrs from now...

hrrrSGP_prec_radar_007.gif

jmur

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 7, 2013
    Connecticut
    I just finished bolting the motor back in my bike had to drop it down to get the back valve cover off and of course had to just about dismantle the entire bike to do that, now I redoing the wiring harness it was kind of a rush job back when I put it together the first time :)

That's what I mean. I think the last job I did was on a 89 Grand Am, for a stupidly simple thing like a water pump, and the rear of the engine had to be unbolted and raised up. That's just crazy. Give me an old Chevy 283 anytime. You could swap out just about anything on it, stand comfortably inside the radiator frame and probably eat a sammich at the same time. Now that was engineering!

jmur

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 7, 2013
    Connecticut
    If ya want to get your Weather Geek on...

COD Meteorology -- NexLab Homepage

Thanks RD, be playing with this tomorrow. One of the best meteorologists, who has some of the most accurate data on his website, is Joe .......i. Unfortunately it's a subscription service (and pretty high priced at that). I still absolutely respect his analysis, but I ain't gonna pay for it. Not when there's sites that I can interpret for myself.

Thanks for the link!

rdsok

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Norman, Ok
    Thanks RD, be playing with this tomorrow. One of the best meteorologists, who has some of the most accurate data on his website, is Joe .......i. Unfortunately it's a subscription service (and pretty high priced at that). I still absolutely respect his analysis, but I ain't gonna pay for it. Not when there's sites that I can interpret for myself.

Thanks for the link!

I was pretty certain you'd like that one. :)

rdsok

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Norman, Ok
    Day 22 of grey skies and rain. Rivers and lakes are busting at the seams. Good wet morning!

This has been our wettest May recorded so far... for the last 30 days we've had 19.2" and it's currently raining... so our lakes and streams have recovered from the long drought they'd had.... and that may be an understatement. :D

DoomiteAsh

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 16, 2014
    Amarillo, TX
    Good morning y'all, happy Friday! :D

It's been raining here off N on for about a month now here too. We got some good rain last night, only bad thing is that the classic rock station I listen to got knocked off the air. Good thing it's back on today!

AG51

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 23, 2011
    Dat Way →
    I can't hold on to it. It isn't about embarrassment it is about grip. :)
    get a roll of Vet tape Ollie (self adhesive 2" bandage) and put it round the handle that'll give you grip on the handle and it's cheap & easily replaceable. Heck the girl has easy access to that or you can get any adhesive ace bandage at the drug store or wallys or someplace like dats :D

Wow, we really some bunch of physically fit specimens, ain't we?
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

... probably the price of having experience.... :D
    yup :facepalm:

Duct tape... or baling wire... either should work... :lol:
    :facepalm::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::smokie:

rdsok

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 17, 2012
    Norman, Ok
    Water vapor loops tell me just about everything I want to know. Love em, and they gots some good ones here.

I do like those but they only tell me how much moisture is going into a region... not how unstable, the amount of shear and things that point to how intense a storm may be.

CAPE - Convective available potential energy. Often used to help determine the possibility of strong storms that have a high potential for tornadoes. CAPE values don't always have to be high for a tornado to be produced. We had about a dozen pop up the other night within 30 minutes, just south of me a few miles and the CAPE was really low but the SHEAR was high enough to offset it. In fact, the largest tornado so far this year for the US was in south OK/TX that night and thankfully it was in a more rural area.

So CAPE and SHEAR are what I look at the most right now on the forecasting side of stuff... I'm also starting to look at the vorticity and helicity values since they also play a part. LCL or lifted condensation level also played a part in the other nights storms, so I'll start looking at that at some point after I get a better understanding of the other things I'm trying to learn.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread