In my happy place
Last edited:

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
positive read - except for this part

while a study of mice indicated that vaping may harm the lungs and immune system

I get (but disagree with) the part about the lungs (I'd guess they're talking about the over-hyped popcorn lung) but this is the first I've heard about the immune system - anyone know where that came from?

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA

drksideken

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Syracuse, IN, USA
I do not know how the ANTZ can continue the campaign of lies and misinformation. E-Cigs are embraced in the UK as a method to quit but here they demonize.

I can sort of understand it. They have a different health care system. It's in their governments best interest that people be healthier and get off the real cigs. Here it's different. Here the government gets rewarded for killing people slowly as does big pharma while tobacco companies at most get wrist slapped. If there were no such things as lobbyists and our government had to shell out the cash for healthcare, we'd never have a problem. At least that's the way I see it. I'm probably wrong though.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
I can sort of understand it. They have a different health care system. It's in their governments best interest that people be healthier and get off the real cigs. Here it's different. Here the government gets rewarded for killing people slowly as does big pharma while tobacco companies at most get wrist slapped. If there were no such things as lobbyists and our government had to shell out the cash for healthcare, we'd never have a problem. At least that's the way I see it. I'm probably wrong though.

US Government DOES shell out cash for medicare and medicaid. And now with ACA, they pay subsidies for health insurance for many people.

But your point is still valid, because they shell out less than if there was a system like in the UK.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
I saw a study that noted 51% of smokers in America are on Medicaid and estimates that adoption of ecigs would save tax supported medicaid more than cigarette taxes collect by a wide margin.

There's not a snowflake's chance in hell that 51% of smokers are on Medicaid. And I found the source of your Big Lie, which has been parroted by others of their ilk such as the Heartland Institute.

E-Cigarettes Poised to Save Medicaid Billions
State Budget Solutions | by J. Scott Moody | March 31, 2015
Moody falsely claims that "These benefits will particularly impact the Medicaid system where the prevalence of cigarette smoking is twice that of the general public (51% versus 21%, respectively)."

http://www.statebudgetsolutions.org/publications/detail/e-cigarettes-poised-to-save-medicaid-billions

But that's an outright lie. See "Percentage of U.S. Adults Who Smoke Cigarettes," open "Coverage Overview," from DHHS. The highest proportion of smokers is among the uninsured (who cost taxpayers the least of all), at around 30%.

Measure Details

Moody seems to have misrepresented a piece of CDC hate propaganda which claimed that "Medicaid recipients are disproportionately affected by tobacco-related disease because their smoking prevalence is approximately 53% greater than that of the overall US adult population," which was subsequently restated as "smoking prevalence in the adult Medicaid population is approximately 53% greater than that of the overall US adult population (34.5% vs 22.6% in 2006)."

http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2009/jul/08_0153.htm

On top of that, their "smoking cost" claims are based on fraudulently blaming smoking for diseases that are really caused by infection.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread