Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
If someone can explain the safety feature of this squonker, I might just add it to my stable of a Gayscano 50w and five reos.

I just do not see what happens if, dog forgives, a short develops and causes a battery mishap.

I just ordered one, but hopefully I'll never find out the answer to your question. The negative contact looks to be spring loaded, whether that would act as a hot spring... no idea.

For the record, I've always wanted a REO, but it's never been in my budget. I still want a REO and hopefully some day I'll be able to get one. Looking at the design of the owl atty, I'm not sold on how well it will work, so I may end up ordering a bf atty from reosmods anyway.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I found out about this in the Modding Forum also. I decided to buy one because I didn't have a squonker yet. The group buy price was $24 something with tracking.

It showed up today, took about 10 days.

I wasn't expecting much but it's really not bad. The case is plastic with a sliding door that has 2 magnets at the top to hold it on. The top is chrome plated metal of some sort. The 510 threads seem to be stainless but I'm not sure. The negative contact is chromed metal and has a very stiff spring. The center pin will turn with the included screwdriver/coil tool but I don't know if it is adjustable.

The bottle is easy to squonk and there is no bad taste from the bottle or tubing.

The atty is more for cloud chasers than flavor lovers like me. The chamber is huge but the atty seems to be built well. juice comes out of the holes for the wires.

I built a single .7 ohm coil for my Zenith V2 and put it on. Not bad at all.

IMO it's worth the money.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Hi Fellow Vapers,

I think this inexpensive squonker is just the thing to get people started on squonking like me.

A lot of people have a hard time justifying 200.00 plus shipping for another mod---even though the REOS is the

best bottom feeder going today.

Just a thought from a average vaper...

KYBLUE

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Here is a copy of my post in general regarding this mod/atty.

Just received it this morning.

Box Mod Pros
  1. It's rather compact. I can hide it entirely in the palm of my hand.
  2. Though almost all plastic it seems durable. Doesn't flex. Not even the door.
  3. 10ml bottle. Comes with an extra. Standard caps fit them. Standard bottle fits but is very tight. The bottom must be slightly malformed for it to fit.
  4. Locking fire button. Turn to stop in either direction to lock, to the middle to fire.
Box Mod Cons
  1. Shiny plastic appears cheap and is a fingerprint magnet.
  2. Firing button is very easy to push. not sure how it will hold up over time.
  3. Small gauge wire running from the negative battery post. May not hold up to extreme sub ohm builds. Hasn't been a problem @ .5Ω.
  4. Seems to be designed for left hand operation. Must be finger fired when holding the curved side to your palm. Thumb firing when the button is top mounted seems more natural to me. Side mounted opposite the atty seems better. Brain wave recognition seems optimal.o_O
Owl BF Atty Pros
  1. Bottom feed ready.
  2. T-post design enables one to tighten down one coil before working on the second.
  3. Ample airflow. Wide bore proprietary drip tip is not hampered by 510 size limitations. Could easily be drilled out for the extreme vaper.
Owl BF Atty Cons
  1. Raised tab airflow control design. The tabs require you to place the coils off center and they get in the way when aligning the coil with a rod inserted.
  2. Very large for a RBFA. About the same size as a Goblin RTA in 5ml configuration.
  3. Proprietary drip tip is ~25mm tall.
  4. Window which I assume was designed to allow for examining wick saturation without the need to remove the top cap is useless as it collects condensation.
  5. Not the conventional bottom feed design. There are no holes at the base of the center post, instead the juice will flow from the coil wire holes. This negates one of the advantages of bottom feeding in that it doesn't pull excess juice back down into the bottle. Thus you can oversquonk just as you can overdrip an RDA. A hole drilled through the base of the center post is an easy fix for this.
Overall
Worth the money. Especially if you want to dip your toe into the bottom feeder waters for the first time.

At $22 I am pleased with the purchase. I plan to devise a drip tip plug for a BF converted Derringer and see if this setup can be comfortably carried in the front pocket of my jeans.

I will drill the center post base of the atty but it is likely destined for the box of misfit vape gear. Then again there may be a top cap in the box that fits and cuts it down to size.

ENJOY

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Thanks for the great reviews and product information on this bottom feeding "Wonder"----looks very hopeful for

us beginning Squonkers. The Zenith for 9.00 dollars looks very appealing too. Thanks for

explaining how to get it ready for bottom feeding as I was puzzled as to the solid 510 post

and how the eliquid was going to get to the cotton.

Last edited:
Reactions: sando7

Nailz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS

Everyone is ordering them, I ordered one at the beginning of the week with a ship date of the 22nd, now it has been pushed back to the 27th, hopefully it hurries up, as the owl atty is not to my liking, made more for clouds, with the chamber being so big, really lacks in flavor, but still worth $25 for the mod alone.

Reactions: thetrucker

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 18, 2015
    carson city nevada
    ....I spotted this over at the Modding forum. The price includes the atomizer. Seems like an absolute steal for someone wanting to try out the bottom feeder thing. I would hope that it is worth the price of admission.
    Group buy- focalecig.com
    sku_24723_4.jpg
    you sold me. for that price I had to order one just to try out a bottom feeder.the mod alone looks like ti would be worth the price and with an RDA it is a real steel.

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    I've been using mine a few days now,and can definitely say for the money,this is a very nice little mod.Like others,i don't care much for the included atty,but i converted a derringer clone to use on it,and it is fantastic.I had thought about trying a bf mod in the past,but didn't want to spend alot of money just to try it,but now that i know i like it,my next mod purchase will be a vw bf mod.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    I've been using mine a few days now,and can definitely say for the money,this is a very nice little mod.Like others,i don't care much for the included atty,but i converted a derringer clone to use on it,and it is fantastic.I had thought about trying a bf mod in the past,but didn't want to spend alot of money just to try it,but now that i know i like it,my next mod purchase will be a vw bf mod.
    This is the kinda of thing I for seen happening :) Only problem is a VW BF'er is a rare breed I know there is a cheep one from China but if you want a quality piece they are few & far between no to mention $$
    Faced with the choices I made my own :) There is a real nice DIY VW BF'er mod called the Gdeal You can get the printed parts at 'GDNA v4-2 - Large Screen - All Parts (Updated)' | 3D Printing | Sculpteo
    There is also a link to livewiremods were you can get a parts kit
    If you have intermediate mod building skills this is a great way to go I have built a few and there is nothing like a VW TC BF'er mod :)

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    Those are pretty nice.I remember seeing the thread about them a while back in the modding forum,but i had forgot about them.I've built a few mods,but they have all been mech so far,but my next one will be a vw most likely with the dna 40,so i think i'll add the bottom feed into those plans haha.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2014
    WI, USA
    This is the kinda of thing I for seen happening :) Only problem is a VW BF'er is a rare breed I know there is a cheep one from China but if you want a quality piece they are few & far between no to mention $$
    Faced with the choices I made my own :) There is a real nice DIY VW BF'er mod called the Gdeal You can get the printed parts at 'GDNA v4-2 - Large Screen - All Parts (Updated)' | 3D Printing | Sculpteo
    There is also a link to livewiremods were you can get a parts kit
    If you have intermediate mod building skills this is a great way to go I have built a few and there is nothing like a VW TC BF'er mod :)

They are very nice but you're still talking in the $200 range for a BF mod and it's essentially a plastic case. Granted, it's a VW mod and the chip itself isn't cheap.

Steamer861

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 13, 2014
    Canada
    They are very nice but you're still talking in the $200 range for a BF mod and it's essentially a plastic case. Granted, it's a VW mod and the chip itself isn't cheap.
    Your looking at about 100.00 for the plastic and the parts kit, if you take the longer wait option at Sculpteo
    the chips routinely sell here on site for 36 bucks in Co-Ops. Thats not bad. the plastic is fine, it's tough durable and light weight.
    What are your other options? a Sundox and a few other Italian mods all well into the 3 to 4 hundred range.
    You can alway just keep using the 22$ mec BF'er from China :)
    I think the Gdeal is a great option if you have some mod building skills. it's definitely not for a first time mod builder :)

Reactions: thetrucker

b.m.

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 30, 2014
    Ohio
    Well, lets see the Derringer on this box. Pics or it didn't happen. :w00t:

I'll second that! I'd love to see some pics of this cheap little mod with some different rda's on it.

Haha,i'll do ya all one better.I'll throw out some pics of the derringer and what a little creativity can do for these little mods.I have been using this as my all day device since saturday morning,and noticed like someone else mentioned that as you hold it,it starts to get a bit slippery so i made a wrap for it from a 3m di noc sample i got a while back.Feels alot better in the hand now,and doesn't have that plastic look anymore.
    bfmod_zpsa2c01m1h.jpg

bfmod2_zpsu6bklh4e.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread