Status
Not open for further replies.

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
Probably buying one off the shelf in the beginning. I don't have a clue how to build one. I have friends in other threads that have temp controlled mods and rave over the flavor. I figure if I'm going to pay good money for liquids I may as well get the best taste possible.

Thanks for the link! Looks interesting.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Here is the dna 40 I built from round 6. Nothing special because I was too impatient as this was my first experience with TP.

I recommend you black out the plastic with a product call "nite-shades". I use it on my covers, it makes it look black, but light passes.

RedFox

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2012
On the edge of insanity..
I recommend you black out the plastic with a product call "nite-shades". I use it on my covers, it makes it look black, but light passes.
This is exactly what I was looking at. How many coats do you usually apply? Thanks!

Reactions: SlickWilly

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Start with a spare piece. Try two medium coats and see how you like it. When you have a look that suits you, then you can do your final. I personally now do one heavy coat, but I am hitting a small screen cover and I think a heavy coat would not work for your large area. You will have to remove the covering from the display as it will be too dark otherwise....there is a darkening film over the display and it should be obvious if you have looked at it much. The film on the large screen is a pain to remove, but it comes off and you can remove any residue with alcohol.

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hana clone boxes work well. They are probably the easiest.I got some for $5 each from DNA 30 ENCLOSURES *Read Description* - Elev8 Vape but I'm not sure that they will be getting more since Clouper/chana mods aren't the hot ticket anymore. They are also common and boring. You could use a Hammond 1550p or 1590g. Those can even fit dual 18650's with careful planning and construction. They are less boring than the clone boxes but are still fairly dull, and they require lots of sanding to get rid of the Hammond lean. Making your own box out of wood or plexiglass or metal is nice. That can be the most attractive and personal choice.
The world is open for you when you have a spare dna chip, a good 510 connector, and some switches. Build something that suits you (and your skills).

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2013
Arlington, Texas - USA
Thanks for the link.
I hate hana boxes. ;) and I'm not skilled in metal work or wood work unfortunately. It's easier for me to retrofit into something. So far I've put dna40's in two Vaporflask clones, and upgraded a Valhalla to dna40 which actually is a powder coated hammond 1550p and that is a super nice tiny little box.

I've seen the ZNA enclosures for about $40 (well the Chinese clones but all I want is the enclosure). I'm just thinking the ZNA is kind of over and it's heavy.

Except for the Vaporshark I don't know of anything that even has the large screen dna40. I have 3 chips (dna40 large screen) and nothing to out them in :( so I'm looking for advice or guidance.

Reactions: SkinyFatMan

MadOzodi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
StL, MO
Quoting MikeE3:

"Sorry to derail the thread from coffee but I have a fuse question.

If retrofitting the Tibs2 for multiple fuses. Do you just take 2 (or 3) fuses lay them on top of each other and solder the ends together. Then put the soldered together set of fuses in like doing the original build w/ just 1 fuse.

I've seen other builds w/ the fuse on the + side of the batts. I'm assuming it doesn't matter as long as the circuit is fused.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-21%20at%2012.21.22%20PM_zps0tl3srbo.png
"

Stacking fuses works? Damn, retrofitting my tibs2 LIPO with 4 fuses in parallel took some work but I was able to solder and fit them side by side. I'll have to post pics when I get home.

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Stacking fuses works? Damn, retrofitting my tibs2 LIPO with 4 fuses in parallel took some work but I was able to solder and fit them side by side. I'll have to post pics when I get home.
Yeah, we need to see that pic, sounds like quite a feat!

Reactions: tiburonfirst

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
It's an ugly job...I'll welcome suggestions on how to improve it, but only to a certain extent. What worries me about it is the potentially increased resistance.
Hooking 2 fuses up in parallel halves the resistance, hooking 2 pairs of fuses in parallel (which is is what it sounds like you did), halves it again. All of which really helps on the fuse resistance aspect. So the only resistance problem you are likely to encounter would be from a cold solder joint.

Reactions: MadOzodi

MadOzodi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
StL, MO
Hooking 2 fuses up in parallel halves the resistance, hooking 2 pairs of fuses in parallel (which is is what it sounds like you did), halves it again. All of which really helps on the fuse resistance aspect. So the only resistance problem you are likely to encounter would be from a cold solder joint.

My positive wire leading to B+ has 4 fuses hooked up to it...it looks like a ladder. Methinks I'm doin it wrong...:(

mikepetro

Vape Geek
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2013
My positive wire leading to B+ has 4 fuses hooked up to it...it looks like a ladder. Methinks I'm doin it wrong...:(
If it is like this you are ok.

upload_2015-5-22_14-10-56.png

You have overload protection, but not reverse polarity protection. So just dont put a battery in backwards.
Resistance in this situation would be VERY low and not a concern.

However if it is like this, then you are not going to have very good luck.
upload_2015-5-22_14-14-22.png

The resistance would be quadruple, and the fuse would trip very prematurely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread