Questions from a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronLo703

Apr 26, 2015
Hey guys I am coming from an eleaf istick 50W and am thinking about getting into the world of mech mods. I have a few questions before I pull the trigger and order one.

First off, the guy at my local vape shop told me that tanks are not safe to use on mech mods. I can't understand why. I am using a kanger subtank with the 0.5 coil and if I am doing the math correctly, a freshly charged 4.2V 18650 battery should support my tank just fine, it translates to about 30 watts right? So why would a tank be unsafe on a mech mod?

Second question, how would you be able to tell when it's time to charge the battery? I read you should charge it when the vapor starts getting weak, but with a subtank would that be the case as well? I don't want to blow my face off just because I found a cool looking mod I thought I couldn't live without.

Third and final question, when it comes to RDA's, I don't understand how to build the right ohms on a coil. I read you should wrap it about 8 times on a 1/8 drillbit, but how do I know that's the right build. If I am running a fresh 4.2V battery, what would be the correct ohms I'm looking for on a dual coil setup(looking at the doge v2)? If someone could give me a rough breakdown on the coil resistance I should build, that would be awesome.

Thanks for any advice and answers,
Aaron

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Hey guys I am coming from an eleaf istick 50W and am thinking about getting into the world of mech mods. I have a few questions before I pull the trigger and order one.

First off, the guy at my local vape shop told me that tanks are not safe to use on mech mods. I can't understand why. I am using a kanger subtank with the 0.5 coil and if I am doing the math correctly, a freshly charged 4.2V 18650 battery should support my tank just fine, it translates to about 30 watts right? So why would a tank be unsafe on a mech mod?

35 watts actually, and most 18500s would support 0.5Ω.

Second question, how would you be able to tell when it's time to charge the battery? I read you should charge it when the vapor starts getting weak, but with a subtank would that be the case as well? I don't want to blow my face off just because I found a cool looking mod I thought I couldn't live without.

Yes... you learn to tell when the battery is too discharged to provide adequate vapor. For me, it's usually around 3.4 ~ 3.5V.

Third and final question, when it comes to RDA's, I don't understand how to build the right ohms on a coil. I read you should wrap it about 8 times on a 1/8 drillbit, but how do I know that's the right build. If I am running a fresh 4.2V battery, what would be the correct ohms I'm looking for on a dual coil setup(looking at the doge v2)? If someone could give me a rough breakdown on the coil resistance I should build, that would be awesome.

For a given gauge, wrap count is irrelevant, as it changes with the diameter... and the diameter can often be a function of what wicking material you use, or even the physical space in the atomizer.
What does matter is the length and gauge of wire, as they are the only elements that, along with the number of coils in parallel, that determine net resistance.

Thanks for any advice and answers,
Aaron

Read - learn:

Last edited:

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
totally agree with the above post, an education is needed for the Mec world!

to simply address the other questions, you would need a (DMM) digital multimeter or an inline volt meter to check your batteries voltage and imo i would exchange/re-charge at no lower than 3.6 volts, you can also check the resistance of your coils with a DMM yet it's easier to use an ohm meter.....both of these items are reasonably priced.

AaronLo703

Apr 26, 2015
That is too technical for me. I can't really comprehend all that data. I've never seen the fun in building your own coils, it just seems like too much can go wrong. The only reason I was even thinking about an RDA is because the doge looks just like my doggy lol. So if I skip RDA's and just use tanks on a mech, is that safe? Would the 0.5 kanger coil work on a mech safely and without modification? Or should I just stick to my VW mods and skip mechs until I feel dedicated enough to figure it all out?

Reactions: cckayne

sando7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Louisville, KY (PRP)
stick with your VW's and educate your-self at the same time, it's not that hard and the reward is a very nice Vape.

as you vape with a Mec your voltage will drop with every pull so using a tank is almost point-less you will get a better and constant vape using a tank with a regulated device.....RDA's give a fantastic vape with the proper build and most folks who go this route never look back, yet safety is paramount here.

Reactions: jstrong

AaronLo703

Apr 26, 2015
Is there a simple way to get into the world of mechs, like instead of using a program I can just build a coil and test the ohms and go from there? I found a good voltage/ohm tester I was going to order. I know that most fresh 18650s are 4.2V so what kind of coil is the most common for that? This is so overwhelming but I want to figure it out so badly. There's got to be a more simple explanation to all this.

jstrong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
Virginia
That is too technical for me. I can't really comprehend all that data. I've never seen the fun in building your own coils, it just seems like too much can go wrong. The only reason I was even thinking about an RDA is because the doge looks just like my doggy lol. So if I skip RDA's and just use tanks on a mech, is that safe? Would the 0.5 kanger coil work on a mech safely and without modification? Or should I just stick to my VW mods and skip mechs until I feel dedicated enough to figure it all out?
You said too much can go wrong! That is a great point there is a lot that can go wrong in a mech with someone inexperienced or experienced for that matter. You could have a faulty battery, dead short, any number of things. Don't get me wrong mech mods have their place and their following but right now VV/VW, Temp control is where it is at.

jstrong

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
Virginia
I've been looking into temp control and see that Joyetech is coming out with the eVic VT and that looks damn nice. I know temp control is the direction things are going, but part of me feels like if I don't know how to build coils and use a mech mod, I'm not a true vaper lol. I just want to know it all don't judge me lol.
Nobody is judging. True Vaper? No such thing in my eyes. A vaper is someone who vapes as a hobby or a way of life to keep themselves off the stinkies. Not everybody likes building coils. Some of us do and others it takes time and can be aggravating. Sometimes I build some nickel coils to fire in my tanks to use on my temp control mods and other times I just use a pre built nickel coil and screw it into my Subtank, Atlantis, Smok TCT and just go on and forget about it.

AaronLo703

Apr 26, 2015
I checked out the first and third video and I feel like it's a lot less complicated than I thought. The only thing that still confuses me is building coils. I don't understand how to build the coil resistance to what is safe and produces the most vapor and flavor while staying in battery limits. I understand not to go over the amp limit of your battery, that makes sense now, but I don't understand what would be a proper resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread