My Bank just denied me a purchase at the MVS Web Site!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
Tried to get a CC through PayPal the other day, & guess what they said, NO!!

As much as I personally dislike using Paypal and see them as an occasional necessary evil, they do offer a debit card. Unfortunately I'm not seeing the debit cards offered with regular accounts anymore. They used to offer them on personal accounts years ago. A Paypal business account can get one easily.

If you carefully read through the terms and fees then accept, you can upgrade the account to business and apply for a debit card. It also has a 1% cash back on "signature" purchases per the Paypal website.

Again, it's Paypal. Your mileage may vary. Still possibly a cheaper option over prepaid cards with fees.
Make sure to read the terms and fees for Paypal Business, especially if you receive money via Paypal.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
This is the craziest thing I ever herd of, sadly I don't doubt a word of it. I've been lucky I guess, all I use for online orders is my debit card. I've ordered from about every vape shop out there, waiting for something from Vapor DNA right now. Believe me I know what an insane hassle it is to switch banks, but that would be the last straw for me! I just hope this doesn't become the next trend. Anyway, sorry about your issue. I'd be just as angry!

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
Argh....I would leave that bank in a heartbeat, but that's just me. I'm not into people telling me how to live my life. My husband and I don't have credit cards either, by choice, sort of a flipping of the bird to that whole rip off industry. Our credit isn't the greatest but we don't give a hoot, we pay cash/debit for everything and are doing better financially than most of our friends and family, debt free other than our mortgage and new car. It sounds like you need to go the money card route if/until you switch banks.

Cheetah

Apr 8, 2015
Irvington, NJ
Hey all,

Sorry I haven't been here since yesterday, but I was quite busy researching and going out and interviewing banks.

Went out and pulled the trigger on my old bank and opened a new account with (I won't mention who, no free advertising for ANYONE) but I was not only impressed with the array of services and workarounds for the monthly service fee(s), but with the people in the local branch as well as their knowledge and sincerity. when I went in my BS meter was set to "Thermonuclear" level and when I asked a couple of questions that I just knew would give them a hard way to go answering, they actually had the balls to say that they didn't know the answer, needless to say I was impressed!!

Well long story short, I was busy moving all the important things over to this new account after I got home and it will be some days before I can tell those :censored: "people" good bye for good, I figure it will be about a month before all is said and done with this.

I will be looking into ALL the suggestions that you folks have been making here, and I like the idea that has been floated about using a separate "money card" instead of my main debit card for purchases, my exposure will be halved (at least) and I won't have to worry about things like "Home Depot" again :D.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, I really mean that, I started this thread mainly as a warning to everyone out there to check your card agreements for possible issues like I ran into and ALSO to vent (my wife hates it when I scream allot :().

Thanks for ALL the kind words AND support and suggestions, it means allot :thumbs:!!!!

Got to go, "She who must be obeyed" has a few things for me to do around here today that I couldn't get to yesterday :-x :w00t:.

L8R all, and again TNX

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    What tank were you looking to buy may I ask? It's been a while since your last post to this thread, have you been able to purchase something?

Regardless, just save time and don't bother with telling your old bank off. I tell you, while I disagree with their decision, there are many reason why banks are shunning vape these days and many vapers just don't understand the whole story. I'm not defending your bank by any means, just that they do what they do and there is nothing you can do about it. Many banks, even big ones, will be blocking vape, vapor, ecig etc soon. Mainly, the goal is to kill vape.

As far as I know, the FDA has not really officially classified ecigs as a tobacco product, they just said that they would. But places like banks and even the post office, who will not ship tobacco under most conditions, get confused and treat vape like tobacoo already. Many postal workers, for instance, have turned vape shipments down due to classifying then as tobacco, but the FDA has not classified yet. Sigh.

Sorry to hear about your hard times. I am in the same boat as you. Hang in there.

Jorge22

ECF Veteran
    I only read your initial post as I have to go out right now.

Still, the solution is very simple. Get your money out of that bank and start using a different bank. You, as a customer, are far more important to you than they are to you. Corporations are pigs (not trying to insult pigs) and deserve no pity. Bad banks go bankrupt all the time, what do you need them for?

EDIT: Just noticed you changed banks. Way to go!

EDIT2: Is it hard to ger debit cards in the US? Strange thing as it's the most common of things in Europe, you can use them basically anywhere and there are ATMs on every corner, so to speak.

Last edited:

madangus

ECF Veteran
    May 10, 2015
    Chicago-land
    An option for a credit card might be capital one, just make sure and pay it off every month and it might help the credit score too. The gift cards may be an even better iption for you just thought inwould throw it out there.

I had a couple of wonky things happen moving to illinois and my score got shot too, the system is jacked up. Warm vibes to you man!

Scottitude

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 18, 2010
    Metro Detroit
    scottitude.net
    I agree with Jaytex, local credit unions trump banks every time.

In my experience, unless a company is completely Internet illiterate, Twitter is an amazingly effective tool to get past the script-readers and grab the attention of a department that may be more open to providing a resolution. Doesn't always work but at the very least, you may get a more empathetic response.

It's old-school, but a complaint to the Better Business Bureau is also a good idea. It won't necessarily get you a satisfactory resolution but it will make someone at the bank take the time to respond to the BBB with more than a "sorry, bank policy" if you specifically state you are looking for an explanation of how a piece of hardware can be classified as a tobacco product. If they don't respond to enough BB complaints, their rating will plummet pretty quickly.

A comparison to a Zippo lighter might be a good angle.

The most important thing to remember when complaining to anyone at any level is never say you won't ever buy their product again or you're taking your business elsewhere; if they know up front they've lost you as a customer they'll lose all interest in helping you.

Hope your new bank works for you.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread