United States
here's the kind of coils it makes

IMG_20150226_020219_zpsesobhbc2.jpg
Dude!!!! How'd you make that? It's awesome!!!:thumb:

Reactions: turbocad6

csayce

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I just tighten those grubs with telekinetic energy, no hex wrench necessary bro :lol:

I know I spoke about a coilwinder that I built here in this thread at one point a while ago, said I'd show it here, don't remember even who I was talking to and the thread search doesn't work with the new forum so I can't even go back and look, but I just uploaded a video of it in action and since this is the thread that we discuss mills and lathes and machinery and custom building I guess it's not too far off topic, especially since I only build coils on this thing for bottom feeders :)

so here it is, 18650 powered high tension bottom feeding coil maker :p

Hi there it might have been myself you were talking too as I've had many discussions with ppl about a device to help me build coils because I can only use my right hand. Your coiling device is fantastic how much would you charge to make another? I'm very interested in one one for myself

Sent from the depths and the darkest part of the Internet.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
that's 27ga, 2.5mm id. honestly this is the first parallel coil I ever made. just wanted to see if I could twist up a parallel easily by hand. I don't think there's much difference or advantage with a regulated device, 5 wrap dual parallel probably vape around the same as a 10 wrap single I think at any given power level, dual parallel are more of an advantage when it comes to mech builds to up the power really, but I just wanted to try it.was pretty easy too, ~2 minutes from spool to ready to mount on the first shot, prolly no real benefit or reason to bother though with a regulated mod

csayce, unfortunately that coil maker is a one off custom billet aluminum piece that would be very costly to reproduce, I've thought about trying to make something a bit more cost effective but haven't had much time to play with that. if I ever come up with a reasonable way to build one cost effectively I'll let you know, but don't hold your breath on that one :)

Reactions: Rossum

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
Dude!!!! How'd you make that? It's awesome!!!:thumb:

I started with a single cell cordless screwdriver type thing,gutted it and used the motor and gear drive,built an aluminum welded billet body and a delrin friction slip clutch for the wire spool tension adjustment,then added a guide pulley and guide arm and wire retension arm so the spool can't unravel when I cut the wire,worked out the angles and calibrated it to pretty much what you see :)

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
I'm blown away that you did all that milling and custom aluminum work for a coil wrapper. Kudos to you brother that thing is incredible

As for the Nuppin setup I tried it after you posted it over at pdib's and was really surprised how well it works. You were spot on how the vape sweetens, it was like someone added sweetener to my e-liquid. I made mine with 24g and it ended up a bit too hot of a vape then switched to a 26g and it was a great vape. I ran it however with both air slots open and it was chuckin' the vapor.
Great discovery Turbo, it's certainly something every Nuppin owner must try.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
BTW Turbo I figured out why the vape tastes sweeter with that center coil placement. I'm sure you pro'ly figured it out as well but it seems that it's because the vapor doesn't circulate in the chamber. Whatever is vaporized is instantly inhaled instead of circulating first. It's a much richer vape.

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
I really love my first bottomfeeder but it is really really amateur so I decided to make a real one, what do you guys think?
any pointers, tips or critique are more than welcome
there are just renderings but I have the material in hand and probably make the shell today or tomorrow

the body will be media blasted aluminum, the caps are brass and the button will be solid walnut
jpj2Ula.jpg
krk0P5t.jpg
Je4Xrox.jpg
bqi3XXk.jpg

RobbieVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2015
Bristol - England
I really love my first bottomfeeder but it is really really amateur so I decided to make a real one, what do you guys think?
any pointers, tips or critique are more than welcome
there are just renderings but I have the material in hand and probably make the shell today or tomorrow

the body will be media blasted aluminum, the caps are brass and the button will be solid walnut
jpj2Ula.jpg
krk0P5t.jpg
Je4Xrox.jpg
bqi3XXk.jpg

Looks very nice...... Looks and sounds like a TMod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
Looks very nice...... Looks and sounds like a TMod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
of course it has some inspiration, as everything does...
the shape is inpired on the oliver
the caps are inspired on the peko but recessed
the squonk hole "middle support" is inpired on tbev's but carved in an angle to make it more ergonomic
and the finish is inspired by the offspring between a hammertone reo and porous concrete
T316FineSandblast-230x230.jpg

Last edited:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I'm blown away that you did all that milling and custom aluminum work for a coil wrapper. Kudos to you brother that thing is incredible

As for the Nuppin setup I tried it after you posted it over at pdib's and was really surprised how well it works. You were spot on how the vape sweetens, it was like someone added sweetener to my e-liquid. I made mine with 24g and it ended up a bit too hot of a vape then switched to a 26g and it was a great vape. I ran it however with both air slots open and it was chuckin' the vapor.
Great discovery Turbo, it's certainly something every Nuppin owner must try.

yeah man, like many other things I build I really didn't go in knowing exactly what I was going to build, I just started playing, and this is what came out of it. my goal was to make it compact and easy enough to use and quick to build a coil. also this wasn't just about making a coil but it was more about making a coil at high tension and 100% consistent stacking from beginning to end of wrap and being able to vary and adjust the tension and maintain consistent tension throughout the wrap. honestly if I would have known exactly how much work I would wind up putting into this thing before I started I may have went a different route but once it started shaping up I just had to continue until it was done :)

BTW Turbo I figured out why the vape tastes sweeter with that center coil placement. I'm sure you pro'ly figured it out as well but it seems that it's because the vapor doesn't circulate in the chamber. Whatever is vaporized is instantly inhaled instead of circulating first. It's a much richer vape.

yeah, when it comes to extracting the vape from a coil I have my own set of theories and beliefs as to how a chamber effects it and as to how the actual airflow, weather turbulent or laminar, combined with the fluid dynamics of both pre and post coil affects the vape, as well as any stagnant pockets within the chamber. unfortunately these wind up as nothing more than theories combined with ideas that for the most part I just pulled out of my .... :p so I don't want to run around saying that my theories are in fact factual, because in the end there really not, it's just my own best hypothesis as to what I think is going on. I may be right and personally I believe my own thoughts and conclusions., but not arrogant enough to state it as factual because in the end it's just one guys theory more than anything else.

that said, I believe you are correct, the vape is pure and sweet because you are extracting the vape immediately from the coil and are not extracting any of the stagnant aftervapor from a chamber, the airflow is laminar around the coil and straight to the chimney (driptip). this is why I believe stuff like the kayfun design and all of it's many derivatives are regarded as the best flavor tanks and why stuff like bottom air atties give such nice flavor too. I believe there is a difference in the taste of vapor depending on how immediately off the coil VS circulated stagnant vapor tastes. in my theory "stagnant" can be defined as aftervapor, vapor that comes indirectly from a coil and dwells in a lower velocity pocket before remixing with the higher velocity flow that makes it out of the driptip, sometimes even milliseconds worth of stagnancy can change the vape in my theories and this is only touching on one aspect which is airflow, only one of the many variables involved. dude trust me, inside my head is a scary place sometimes :lol:

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Well I wouldn't say there's anything strange or scary about your line of thought buddy. With the little fluid/aerodynamics I know, I would say you're basing your conclusions on sound theories. Of course as you well said despite our basic knowledge of fluid dynamics and pressure changes depending on the speed of a laminar flow we can only guestimate the effects of the vapor change as well as the taste. However in many cases the good old trial and error method is a great proving ground.
I would certainly agree that in this case the suction created by the inhale seems to create a laminar flow around the coil which is directly routed up the drip tip without circulating in the chamber. I would guestimate this action creates an increase in pressure between the chamber and the drip tip (higher pressure being in the drip tip) since the volume of air in the chamber must accelerate through the much narrower passage of the drip tip. Now while this justifies the density of the vape I believe I agree that the taste as such is purely the lack of the stagnation you described.
As we know from experimenting on air hole positioning in relation to the coil laminar flow does directly affect taste and again in this case the coil is positioned in the best possible place to enhance flow around the coil.

It all makes sense when you think about it.

Reactions: B2L

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Actually let me correct my above description in that as the speed of a fluid increases it's pressure drops but nonetheless there would still be a marked pressure difference between the chamber and the drip tip. This of course relates to its static pressure while it's dynamic pressure will increase.

And now this is just getting too geeky

Alexander Mundy

Ribbon Twister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Springfield, MO
So, a question just pooped ;) into my brain reading what the Captain said. What would be the effect of the incoming and outgoing flow being drawn through a tightly spaced (compared to length) honeycomb to facilitate laminar flow? I have used honeycomb mesh in the past to even the air flow just before and after mass air flow sensors in intake systems. If flow is uneven at different velocities the mass air sensor will not output it's engineered voltage to mass curve, especially if there is an elbow close by and can really cause some hard to cure tuning problems. (Course most of that was with small (2000cc to 2500cc engines using 87mm to 92mm MAF and intake plumbing so it's to be expected with the low velocity at low RPM, but getting the air more laminar certainly helped a bunch)

Reactions: Rossum

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
Alex the first thing that came to mind when I read your post was a laminar flow cabinet which is used in labs. I believe those are fitted with honeycombed vents. Certainly a honeycomb would facilitate laminar flow as the air is in a way vectored. Now if the honeycomb is in the form of a Venturi it would result in the same effect as described above as the flow would accelerate.

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
on a mass airflow sensor the honeycomb grille helps a lot because the sensor is only sensing a very small slice of the airflow in the center of the sensor, but it needs to be a good actual representation of the total airflow, the honeycomb is an attempt to force the airflow to be uniform throughout the whole circumference, making the very small slice that's being measured representative of the total airflow.

like you said, after a curve is particularly problematic because the bulk of the airflow will naturally favor the inside of the curve and then favor the side rather than being laminar throughout the whole circumference.

to me the place something like that may be slightly beneficial would be at the air inlet when the coil is right up to the air inlet. for example, I think it would help flavor a little if instead of one single round hole to feed the coil, if there were many tiny holes, or in effect a honeycomb to distribute even airflow across the whole coil, I think that would give better flavor extraction. going from just round holes to slotted hole is a step in the right direction. I've seen some atties with multiple holes swiss cheesed into the side of the atty but these are generally way too large, more suited to cloud chaser setups.

really I don't think it would make much difference at all on most atty setups, truth is that most atty setups are only drawing prime vapor fresh off the coil from only a portion of the coil anyway. for example most dripper setups are only extracting the freshest "prime" vapor from the outside face of the coil, everything else becomes secondary stagnant vapor and can add harshness if reintroduced into the vapor extraction. that's why when you raise a coil throat hit and harshness will increase, it's not because the vapor under the coil is different, it's because raising it allows a bit of flow under the coil which in turn causes turbulence and a raise in pressure in the stagnant pockets which reintroduces more stagnant vapor from the pockets in the chamber to the extracted stream. these stagnant pockets would remain less disturbed so less reintroduced to the vapor stream if the coil was lower and the airflow just goes mostly over the coil straight to the driptip. the ratio of "prime" vapor compared to secondary stagnant vapor in the vapor stream directly determines the taste and vape quality. ever try to vape when the coil is opposite the air inlet? harsh high throathit and not great flavor, this is because you are getting pretty much all stgnant aftervapor and no prime vapor at all.

this is why a bottom air inlet to the coil is so good when set up right, IE; coil mostly centered over the airholes so airflow is on both sides of the coil. more of the whole coil gets extracted directly and the vapor that makes it into the more stagnant central and side pockets that become stagnant doesn't have as much chance to reintroduce itself to the vapor stream, but another key thing is that there is much less of this secondary stagnant vapor generated to begin with because the vapor extraction fro the coil is much more complete, the kayfuns were the first atty I've seen to use this strategy

some of the better tasting side air inlet drippers use a domed bellmouth at the top for a more smooth transition to the low pressure high velocity vapor flow in the driptip . the bellmouth causes less turbulence in the chamber overall which gives a more laminar flow from the coil to the driptip which in turn introduces less of the stagnant aftervapor back to the vapor stream, hence better flavor...

vapor quality and taste is def a science, and being so means it can be figured out. I've been trying to figure it out for the longest time now and I think I have a good grasp on whats happening and why but truth is there's no way to validate and confirm these hypothesis to be actual. I chose to believe them to the point that worse case even if it's not factual as to what's actually happening it's at least illustrative and representative of whats actually happening for the most part, I think ;)

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
turbo, what you call stagnant vapor is what I called not properly mixed vapor with enough air, is that accurate? Because I always thought harshness is created because the vapor particles are not equally infused by air particles. and i can test that without a top cap, firing and waiting the vapor to come to your mouth then sucking it directly. Since the vapor is not sucked in by means of air, it is extremely harsh (this is how i debunked the hot vapor-harsh throat hit theory, it is cold vapor but extremely harsh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread