Can someone breakdown a dual-coil calculation to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damaurian

Apr 28, 2015
Fernley, Nv
I was using this calculator to try and achieve a dual coil setup for a kanger protank 3. With a resistance of 1.8 Ohms using 30 AWG kanthal round wire. The two parameters that seem to have me stumped are the leg length and number of wraps. It says 15 wraps...is that per coil or 7 1/2 wraps around each wick? Also which type of kanthal would be suitable or close to Kanger specification?

I understand I'm asking alot...but guidance from someone experienced would really help.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
that would be per coil.

when you set up a dual coil on an atomizer you have to wrap both coils exactly the same number of wraps and inside diameter, try to get them to mirror each other. The math is for each additional coil you divide the resistance you wrap each coil at by the number of total coils to get what your end resistance is going to be. So if you want a 1.5 ohm dual coil you need 2 3 ohm coils. a 1 ohm dual coil would be 2 2 ohm coils.

if you ever wanted three or four coil set up you would then divide by 3 or 4.. So if you wanted a 1 ohm quad coil you would need 4 4 ohm coils.

Make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: Damaurian

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
right, except 4 1-ohm coils would be .25 ohm. But you also need more power when adding more coils. Not sure why you need to keep the Kanger specification, but you will need to turn up the watts if you have a regulated device. If not, then it would be better to drop the resistance.

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
right, except 4 1-ohm coils would be .25 ohm. But you also need more power when adding more coils. Not sure why you need to keep the Kanger specification, but you will need to turn up the watts if you have a regulated device. If not, then it would be better to drop the resistance.

Was a misstype.. Lotsa numbers big fingers and little itsy bitsy phone keyboard keys.. Thank you for correcting

Fifteen wraps seems awfully high...would that many wraps even be able to fit inside my atty head? I know I'm going to need two 3.6ohm coils, but what I don't understand is the leg length Part. Don't the leads need to be different lengths for pos and neg?

it is a bit high.. i wold aim for a lower overall resistance.. In the 1 to 1.5 area

Not sure what youre asking about leg length though. On steam engine i think leg length is there to give you a total length to cut your wire to.

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Don't worry about leg length too much. Just leave it at 5mm (base setting for steam engine).

As a base rule, more wire = more resistance. Thus, the longer the legs, the more resistance you will get. Legs will be very similar in length and the difference of 2-3mm between the two will not really make a very big difference.

Just focus on the number of wraps and inner diameter (ID) of the coil.

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Fifteen wraps seems awfully high...would that many wraps even be able to fit inside my atty head? I know I'm going to need two 3.6ohm coils, but what I don't understand is the leg length Part. Don't the leads need to be different lengths for pos and neg?
The coil calculators are configured for RBA builds, a kanger head is a bit different. It will be okay to be a little off on the leg lengths. For that high of a resistance, dual coil, you're probably going to want to use 34g kanthal.

Damaurian

Apr 28, 2015
Fernley, Nv
I like the resistance from the stock coils where one is at 2.4 and the other at 1.8 ohms giving it a good res of 2.1

34g? I'm not sure I'd be able to work with that small of a wire. I mean I play piano, I got dexterity for days buuuut I want to go through less trial and error.

When you say RBA, you're referring to something like an APV? One of those expensive mods?

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Oh, you are confusing a specific resistance to equate to a specific kind of vape.

The coil resistance is an electrical measurement needed to calculate ohms law to find power through a circuit. But that power needs to double if you add two coils, because 2 is twice as much as 1. If you are putting two 15-wrap coils in there with a target of 1.8 ohm, your resistance target is so high that its not going to vape at all... at least not right when you close the circuit with your fire switch.... it might work, though, if you have a high-power regulated box and can just keep turning up the power until it works right. If you are going to use 30g (lower than what is in there from the factory) and dual coils (twice as many as what comes from the factory), then you should probably build something like two 1.2-ohm coils... bringing the total resistance for the circuit down to 0.6. This will be a good vape if your mod can fire sub-ohm.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I like the resistance from the stock coils where one is at 2.4 and the other at 1.8 ohms giving it a good res of 2.1

34g? I'm not sure I'd be able to work with that small of a wire. I mean I play piano, I got dexterity for days buuuut I want to go through less trial and error.

When you say RBA, you're referring to something like an APV? One of those expensive mods?
Whoa no need to get snippy.

An RBA is a rebuildable atomizer, one that is meant for you to build a coil, with posts with holes and you just screw them down. Rebuilding a factory head, like a protank head, is more work, and usually a smaller space. That's why I suggested the 34g, it's what most of those factory heads are made with.

Why not just try a single coil at around 1.5ohm, it should still be better than the factory heads.

Sent from my zombie defense stronghold using Tapatalk - now Free

Damaurian

Apr 28, 2015
Fernley, Nv
Lol I wasn't going at you. Mr. Dave kind of set me of implying that I may be confused. I'm not confused, I grasp the concepts. Although they're new to me as I've only been vaping for 2 weeks now.

I'm not looking to cloud chase or anything. I wasn't chasing clouds when I was puffing a pack of menthols a day. So, why try now?

My one and only set up is a protank 3 paired with an iStick 30. I'm not looking to sub-ohm, I'm not interested in a lung-scorching vape. I just want 1.5-1.8 ohm horizontal coil.
Has anyone achieved a build like that? If so, how did you and what materials did you find were suitable? How many wraps did you make around your wicking material? Were they tight or were they lose coils?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Lol I wasn't going at you. Mr. Dave kind of set me of implying that I may be confused. I'm not confused, I grasp the concepts. Although they're new to me as I've only been vaping for 2 weeks now.

I'm not looking to cloud chase or anything. I wasn't chasing clouds when I was puffing a pack of menthols a day. So, why try now?

My one and only set up is a protank 3 paired with an iStick 30. I'm not looking to sub-ohm, I'm not interested in a lung-scorching vape. I just want 1.5-1.8 ohm horizontal coil.
Has anyone achieved a build like that? If so, how did you and what materials did you find were suitable? How many wraps did you make around your wicking material? Were they tight or were they lose coils?
If you have 32g try an 8 wrap, micro coil(tight) around a 1/16 drill bit or similar, single coil. Start there. If you have 30g try the same, but 8 wraps. That will get you close to your target resistance and you can tweak from there.

Dual coils are harder because they need to be even to perform well.

Sent from my zombie defense stronghold using Tapatalk - now Free

Damaurian

Apr 28, 2015
Fernley, Nv
Thank you Lessifer! Exactly as the calculator read-out. I just wanted to verify it, because humans tend to have more experience in the physical realm than simple programs. I do appreciate the straight answer. Now, if only the rest of ECF community would hop on board and we'll be able to add built-in jetpack functionality to our PV's.

Reactions: Lessifer

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland

Sorry. It seems to me that if you are thinking that sub-ohm = lung scorching vape, then you have misunderstood the concept. Lessifer is right though, start with just one coil and then you don't need to really conceptualize it. It is actually pretty easy but you will get it once you start building more.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Dave's replies weren't wrong, just probably more than what you want right now. There's a lot that goes into rebuilding coils. Your original question about a dual coil that would meter out at 1.8ohm I think threw everyone off. Using 30g, that would be A LOT of wire, as you saw from the calculator. The factory heads can do it because they use much thinner wire, usually 34g(probably 2x7wraps). ~30 wraps of 30g(2x15) would take A LOT of power to get a halfway decent vape.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
1.8ohm dual coil is made of 2 3.6ohm coils run in parallel.

FWIW, 30awg is great for the Protank 3, when used to build a SINGLE verticle coil. Singke vert coil at 1.5-2ohm with cotton is how I build my PT3, better flavor and less gurgle and leakage. 31awg or thicker will be too cold as a dual in a protank, unless you pump up the watts, which just leads to burning. If you insist on stay dual coil try 32 or thinner.

Damaurian

Apr 28, 2015
Fernley, Nv
1.8ohm dual coil is made of 2 3.6ohm coils run in parallel.

FWIW, 30awg is great for the Protank 3, when used to build a SINGLE verticle coil. Singke vert coil at 1.5-2ohm with cotton is how I build my PT3, better flavor and less gurgle and leakage. 31awg or thicker will be too cold as a dual in a protank, unless you pump up the watts, which just leads to burning. If you insist on stay dual coil try 32 or thinner.

I'm just going to do a single horizontal coil with 30g with cotton or silica. Does surgical cotton make a good wick compared to silica? I was thinking silica would be ideal. With me being a beginner and all. Since its already measured at the diameter I want(2mm). I don't have any drill bits or anything to wrap around in order to do the cotton method, but I will try it.

Damaurian

Apr 28, 2015
Fernley, Nv
If you're going to wrap on silica, make sure you use something stiff to hold against the silica as you wrap it, like a pin or needle. If you want to try the cotton you can wrap around just about anything, like a nail, toothpick, q-tip stick, etc.

I was thinking of using a q-tip but I wasnt sure if it would be rigid enough. If I used a regular Bic light to oxidize the wire, what would u reccommend I soak the coil in afterwards to remove carbon residue? Would rubbing alcohol work or would that mess up the kanthal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread