Non-Smokers Starting Vaping - Disturbing to Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

hashtag

Ultra Member
May 17, 2015
I've been away from ECF for awhile but due to the influx of new devices, I recently returned (and got a bunch of new vape gear, but that's another story :) ).

Was just browsing the New Members forum and I am very disturbed by the amount of posts being made by people who have never smoked asking for advice on how to "blow clouds", "get into vaping" or even "get a better buzz" from vaping. o_O

Of course, the vast majority of replies in these threads are from knowledgeable and helpful ECF'ers telling these poor, ignorant folks that it's probably a bad idea to start vaping 36mg juice in a sub-ohm device if you've never smoked...and that is great!

I just can't help to think that all these young (I'm assuming) non-smokers taking up vaping and "blowing clouds" can't be good for our cause and I find it quite disturbing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I currently vape on an SX Mini / Goliath @ .4 ohms and can blow some pretty good clouds, but that's not what it's all about for me...it's about staying off the ciggies.

I hate seeing it as well, but kids are going to do what kids do. They make bad decisions and do stupid things learning how to navigate the world. All we can do is give them the best advice we can to help them from killing/hurting themselves (Nicotine buzz kid who posted yesterday)

Reactions: EBates

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I understand where the OP is coming from. Those that are doing this for no other reason than "to get their buzz on" will in the end lead to bans. Kinda like the ones that found over the counter cold meds could help them "get their buzz on" ended up getting those cold meds, that people actually needed, pulled from the shelves. They didn't care. They just moved on to the next thing.
Please don't take this wrong, I would much rather a young person take up vaping instead of ending up with a lifetime struggle with cigarettes. Those that are using it just trying to get high are the ones that will, in the end, be very detrimental to the ones that need this wonderful invention and then they will move on to the next thing leaving the bans behind them.
Actually, those cold medicines were restricted/banned because they were used to manufacture illicit subatances. Not because of the effects they directly caused.

Martnargh

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Miami
Untrue. Martnargh, not all care, and not all have.
No, not all care. What i meant is only issue with subohm vaping is created by vapers that dont participate in that practice. Its like a constant civil war in the hobby with one side constantly attacking and the other defending and all attackers feel the need to specify how many years in the game as if that somehow validates their point of view.
I have about 5 solid years does that mean my opinion is worth more than someone newer or younger and less than someone older with more time vaping?
Thats what i mean by the entitlement i see thrown around.

Reactions: beckdg

granolaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Skidegate, BC, Canada
granolaboy.net
If kids these days are vaping instead of smoking, how is this a bad thing?
If people get into vaping rather than smoking, how is this a bad thing?

And why is it that anyone gives half a damn about what other people are doing? If you were all huffing paint and promoting it, I wouldn't care. All the more power to you. If you are convincing others to join you, even if it's in the thousands, then that's their problem, not mine. And if your kids suddenly want to huff paint, well then you've probably got bigger problems with your parenting and blaming the paint huffing movement is just a cop out.

Seriously guys, the ice caps are about to melt, which will surely usher in the next mass extinction on this planet. We have more important things to be worrying about than vaping.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I've been away from ECF for awhile but due to the influx of new devices, I recently returned (and got a bunch of new vape gear, but that's another story :) ).

Was just browsing the New Members forum and I am very disturbed by the amount of posts being made by people who have never smoked asking for advice on how to "blow clouds", "get into vaping" or even "get a better buzz" from vaping. o_O

Of course, the vast majority of replies in these threads are from knowledgeable and helpful ECF'ers telling these poor, ignorant folks that it's probably a bad idea to start vaping 36mg juice in a sub-ohm device if you've never smoked...and that is great!

I just can't help to think that all these young (I'm assuming) non-smokers taking up vaping and "blowing clouds" can't be good for our cause and I find it quite disturbing.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I currently vape on an SX Mini / Goliath @ .4 ohms and can blow some pretty good clouds, but that's not what it's all about for me...it's about staying off the ciggies.
I'd rather my kids smoke for 20 yrs first too. o_O

Tapatyped

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Thx. :D Just got done scarfing down my Subway with guacamole, and hooking up my new external terabyte hard drive. :D Dang that was a good sandwich, and I've still got a bag of nacho cheese doritos to munch while we're watching last night's "Bones" "on-demand". And the weather today was just LERVELY which made going out-and-about a real pleasure; so many years, by this time in May, it's already so hot it's unbearable, but right now it's GORGEOUS. :thumb:

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The fact that you are not burning something and inhaling the smoke, yes you did quit 'smoke'ing. Other than that, you've just substituted your dependency to a different method, you are no less dependent.

Absolutely true, and I don't think that will ever change -- I'm 54 today, and smoked for 39 years. That's 72.22% of my entire life. I have no ambition to ever be free of it, because I know that quitting vaping means just one thing: returning to smoking. But that's alright; I'm not inhaling 4000 toxic chemicals with every puff of 20+ cigarettes a day.

Andria

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
IBS... ulcerative colitis... rheumatoid arthritis... schizophrenia... ADD, ADHD... depression... anxiety... probably others that aren't as well known.

I have *personally* experienced the benefit to IBS, ADD, depression, and anxiety, so yes, that's a definite. Whether the benefit is from the nicotine or the other alkaloids, not definite, but the benefit is definitely there.

Just because medicine doesn't know about something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist -- medicine doesn't know everything, as so many doctors prove, day in and day out.

Andria
I too would agree - the vast majority of schizophrenics use tobacco in very high numbers anyone who has ever worked in this field would have to ask themselves why? And I am certain drug companies have used nicotine to benefit Alzheimer's if I recall one of the Alzheimer's drugs is a nicotine derivative.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I too would agree - the vast majority of schizophrenics use tobacco in very high numbers anyone who has ever worked in this field would have to ask themselves why? And I am certain drug companies have used nicotine to benefit Alzheimer's if I recall one of the Alzheimer's drugs is a nicotine derivative.
There's a lot of people that self medicate with nicotine or tobacco. I know that before I started vaping, there were times I'd throw a chew on and chain smoke for half an hour. Stress combined with social anxiety is not a lot of fun.... mix in a toxic work environment, and they're lucky I didn't put a little whiskey in my coffee.

Reactions: Cacique

RebornLincoln06

ECF Veteran
Nov 11, 2014
Grapevine, TX
The issue here is teens thinking it makes them "look cool" to have an e-cig and show their "manliness" by vaping with nicotine. It happens here in my high school (I'm a senior) and it's seriously pathetic. But, (without going off on a tangent) I think it's a cultural generation issue. Let's be honest here, vaping is pretty cool. I'm always trying out new RDA's, mods, etc. but I think it's an issue on people not understanding responsibility and a lack of maturity.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
The issue here is teens thinking it makes them "look cool" to have an e-cig and show their "manliness" by vaping with nicotine. It happens here in my high school (I'm a senior) and it's seriously pathetic. But, (without going off on a tangent) I think it's a cultural generation issue. Let's be honest here, vaping is pretty cool. I'm always trying out new RDA's, mods, etc. but I think it's an issue on people not understanding responsibility and a lack of maturity.
I was once in high school. We drank alcohol and smoked cigarettes to show how cool we were. I think vaping is much much better, even if you learn something in the process :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread