Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePaladin

Jedi Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Virginia, USA
Well, it must be worth the price because pricing is very consistent across the board on it!

FWIW, the question I asked Baditude was about chargers. His choice is the xtar VP4, too. My research and testing suggests that xtar is the way to go, though I wound up with the VC because it was cheaper and made use of the AC usb chargers I have EVERYWHERE in my house...

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I'm curious as to what distinction you draw between a clone and a counterfeit. Is it still a clone if it has the original manufacturer's name and distinctive artwork on it?

I think that's the point. I have a counterfeit Ruzgar that I bought out of curiosity. It says "Ruzgar' on the box (no umlaut) and the Highwind Innovative Designs logo on the body, but isn't made by Highwind and the quality sucks. It's the use of another company's logo and packaging that makes it a counterfeit in my book. If I buy a Kayfun clone (like a Tobeco or Ehpro), knowing it's a clone because an authentic one is out of my budget is one thing, but buying a Kayfun that has svoemesto and the SM logo on it because it appears I'm getting a good deal on an authentic is another. Why use a fake logo except to confuse buyers?

This is a clone:

ehpro_kayfun_lite_clone_gotsmok-660x330.jpg

This is a counterfeit:

fasttech-svoemesto-kayfun-lite-rba-clone-gotsmok-660x330.jpg

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
FWIW, the question I asked Baditude was about chargers. His choice is the Xtar VP4, too. My research and testing suggests that Xtar is the way to go, though I wound up with the VC because it was cheaper and made use of the AC usb chargers I have EVERYWHERE in my house...

Bad and I are usually on the same page. :)

Reactions: ThePaladin

ThePaladin

Jedi Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Virginia, USA
I think that's the point. I have a counterfeit Ruzgar that I bought out of curiosity. It says "Ruzgar' on the box (no umlaut) and the Highwind Innovative Designs logo on the body, but isn't made by Highwind and the quality sucks. It's the use of another company's logo and packaging that makes it a counterfeit in my book. If I buy a Kayfun clone (like a Tobeco or Ehpro), knowing it's a clone because an authentic one is out of my budget is one thing, but buying a Kayfun that has SvoëMesto and the SM logo on it because it appears I'm getting a good deal on an authentic is another. Why use a fake logo except to confuse buyers?

This is a clone:

ehpro_kayfun_lite_clone_gotsmok-660x330.jpg

This is a counterfeit:

fasttech-svoemesto-kayfun-lite-rba-clone-gotsmok-660x330.jpg
You and I are on the same page. My thought is that when you use the REAL manufacturer's name and logos on your "clone", it's a counterfeit, period.

Reactions: The Ocelot

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I'm curious as to what distinction you draw between a clone and a counterfeit. Is it still a clone if it has the original manufacturer's name and distinctive artwork on it?
if the clone maker/seller makes no effort to ensure it is advertised and sold as a clone so there is no doubt in the customer's mind. That is what bothers me.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012

ThePaladin

Jedi Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Virginia, USA
if the clone maker/seller makes no effort to ensure it is advertised and sold as a clone so there is no doubt in the customer's mind. That is what bothers me.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that it's okay as long as the customer understands it's a counterfeit, or am I missing something?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that it's okay as long as the customer understands it's a counterfeit, or am I missing something?
Counterfeit to me is when the atty is made to look exactly like the original and it is sold as if it is the original. If someone is going to make and sell an atty that is not authentic, I want them to make it clear they are not authentics.

Reactions: karlmetz

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
This is killing me! "Ro" ??? hard read Ao in OLED
123776276.sEWWM3V3.awfulfunny.gif
rut roh

0050471ef57a2d4b786c9d86f9b3d8b4_l.jpg

1.consecutive five click enter setup function
2.screen display"Pu" click button voltage up
3.screen display"Pd" click button voltage down
4.screen display"Po" click button system ON/OFF,if in OFF state no working
5.screen display"Cb" detection battery life
6.screen display"Ro" detection atomizer resistance (??????)
7.screen display"Lo" click button OLED screen ON/OFF,if screen OFF,no working
shiny cap from leftover Vamo!

Last edited:

ThePaladin

Jedi Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2013
Virginia, USA
Counterfeit to me is when the atty is made to look exactly like the original and it is sold as if it is the original. If someone is going to make and sell an atty that is not authentic, I want them to make it clear they are not authentics.
Got it! Thank you for the clarification.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Got it! Thank you for the clarification.
Somebody like Ehpro, Tobeco, Hcigar, Infinite, others make it totally clear their products are clones (not authentic). Those are less controversial than when you go to a vendor and they pass it off as an authentic. The latter is just plain wrong. The former is open for debate and I see both sides of the argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread