Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Afternoon, Voltalytes.

I've got to be a record holder in shopping at Costco. I was in and out in under a half hour with a cart piled high. It is a big advantage knowing the layout of the store and having a list, and sticking to that list (well sort of anyway. I just feel like I left my right arm and first born at the register though.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
OK, all you avian fans I need some help. Some birdies have a nest in an evergreen right next to the sidewalk where we pass getting to the cars. Of course, they are being protective of their hatchlings and swoop at us, and Bo, every time we go within 100 feet or so. It's getting to be a pain. Anyhow, who can identify this bird for me? I just spent an hour looking at bird photos and struck out...I need help (obviously, I know).

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    looks like what we call a catbird, @awsum140. It might not be its real name though. :unsure: We called them that because every spring, they'd attack our local critters for their fur. Those pesky birds lined their nests with stolen furs!!!! Maybe we shoulda named 'em cruella de fowls instead!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol: :evil:

They're mean things, one attacked my neighbor. Imagine a little 90 yr old lady flappin' around her front yard cuz one got stuck in her hair!:lol::lol::lol: She was okay, though, no scratches or anything.

tmcase

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    OK, all you avian fans I need some help. Some birdies have a nest in an evergreen right next to the sidewalk where we pass getting to the cars. Of course, they are being protective of their hatchlings and swoop at us, and Bo, every time we go within 100 feet or so. It's getting to be a pain. Anyhow, who can identify this bird for me? I just spent an hour looking at bird photos and struck out...I need help (obviously, I know).

If it is blue & white (can't tell by the pic) then it looks like a Blue Jay to me.

celticluvr

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    I don't think its a Jay Terry. Its gray and doesn't have the right head shape. Jays are very aggressive though. I used to toss COPYRIGHTDMCA near them to scare them away when I used to have a bird feeder. They scared all my doves, finches, and umm dangit forgot what birds used to come. But I did have four mated pairs of doves and a couple unattached ones. I miss my birds.:cry::cry:

tmcase

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    I don't think its a Jay Terry. Its gray and doesn't have the right head shape. Jays are very aggressive though. I used to toss COPYRIGHTDMCA near them to scare them away when I used to have a bird feeder. They scared all my doves, finches, and umm dangit forgot what birds used to come. But I did have four mated pairs of doves and a couple unattached ones. I miss my birds.:cry::cry:

I couldn't tell by the color but a Blue Jay has a black collar and this bird doesn't so not a Jay. :(

SandySu

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 24, 2011
    Trumansburg, NY
    I also vote for a catbird, aka a mockingbird. They can mimic other birds' calls and other similar sounds. In fact, when we lived in California, there was one in the yard who would mimic my phone ringing (the kind with a trill, not a bell ringing). At first, I thought I was hearing my phone and would rush inside, but soon I caught on. I called it "the phone bird."

Oh, yes. I heard they were called catbirds because their call (when not mimicking another bird) is a sound a bit like a cat's meow.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    @awsum140 . . .

Northern Mockingbird

northern-mockingbird-id.jpg

Northern Mockingbird, Identification, All About Birds - Cornell Lab of Ornithology

330px-Mimus_polyglottos_adult_02_cropped.jpg

EDIT: Okay "Sandy" posted before I finished creating the collage and posting, however it took "Me" a long time to Photoshop the pictures to show Ya' - so I'm leaving it as is . . . :img:

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    moanin', Voltville.

Thanks for the comments on the birdie. It is grey with white accents and belly so I think it is a cat/mocking bird. It is a little aggressive about it nest area but I haven't heard any of its calls. It sure won't get much hair off of Bo but Mrs. Awsum has fairly long hair so I'm surprised it hasn't tried getting nesting material from her, LOL.

I'm off to my daughters house today. They've been painting and her husband is afraid to use a ladder to paint the top of the stairwell. He did manage to get all but about the last three feet of ceiling and to foot or so of the walls done, but he chickened out. In all fairness to him, he does have a BIG fear of heights and working on the ceiling in a stairwell can be a little nerve wracking if you're not confident with a ladder and working at heights. Plus, none of us bounce like we used to.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 7, 2012
    Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
    We have a pair of mockingbirds in our yard.

I have gotten absolutely nothing done that was on my big holiday weekend list. I got the stomach flu and I am lucky to have survived yesterday. I may be well on my way to recovery although no guarantees.

I'm up to tea and toast and I decided I could keep an ibuprofen down.

I'm going with jello for lunch:)

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    Glad the duck is starting to walk, DuckLady. That's a good sign.

Lizzie, feel better. Maybe try some Gatorade to help get your electrolytes back to normal and yogurt to get the "flora" back where it belongs. Stomach flu is no fun at all.

I just got back from my daughters and the painting project. Turns out all I had too was show my son-in-law that the ladder was, indeed, safe and wouldn't go through the wall at the top or bend in the middle and he was good to go and did the painting himself. I did take the light fixture down and fixed the light at the top landing as well. That one was hanging cockeyed when it should have been flush to the ceiling. Turns out the screws for the mounting bar had been stripped at the original installation and it was up there with only one screw holding it on one side.

As a reward, I got a pressure washer that SIL says won't "run". From what he described it needs a carburetor cleaning, plug cleaning and a load of fresh gas. We shall see. A pressure washer will come in handy so I am hoping I can bring it back to life, it's pretty much brand new.

Semiretired

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 24, 2011
    Middle Georgia
    From what he described it needs a carburetor cleaning, plug cleaning and a load of fresh gas.

Many of the smaller engines just cannot handle the ethanol gas - gums them up. I have had to clean up many of my small engine tools including my pressure washer - now I only use non-ethanol gas in them. We have two stations around here that offer it - costs a little more, but should pay me back over time by not killing my tools...

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    Yeah, the ethanol gums things up and softens/rots gaskets if it is left sitting in the carburetor bowl. I tried it out, started on the third pull and ran well but when load hits it dies out. The governor seems to be working fine, but the carb just isn't supplying enough gas, I think. I'll have a real "dig" at it next week when have some time to play with it. I couldn't find any of the typical air or fuel adjustment screws on the carb. I've got to look it up online and see if there's a service manual. It's a Troy Built.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2011
    Twilight Zone
    Many of the smaller engines just cannot handle the ethanol gas - gums them up. I have had to clean up many of my small engine tools including my pressure washer - now I only use non-ethanol gas in them. We have two stations around here that offer it - costs a little more, but should pay me back over time by not killing my tools...
    Another alternative is use Marine Stablizer in the gas. I have to drive a pretty good way to a marina to buy non ethanol but an outboard mechanic told me the marine version takes care of it. Cost is higher than for regular stabilizer but I haven't had a problem in years since I started using it in all my 2 and 4 cycle small engines. Weedeater, mower, tiller, chain saw, blower etc.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread