Why Mech mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
Due to the possibility of problematic regulations, everyone should learn how to properly use a mech, and own some.

I agree completely with that, they are good to have around, could last forever if they are maintained and always a backup. On a day to day basis though... I can't understand the appeal. Bad battery life, no way to adjust the power, hard to set down anywhere as it rolls away or has to be set up vertically.... locking rings.. and so on and so forth. Maybe because I personally find the flashy stuff embarrassing so I don't get the looks aspect.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
but I have a new iPad (see above) and don't wanna risk posting "other" pictures. =)

hey now ;)

hello ,sir.Mech mod is just supplying power for the atomzier.

Truest post in this thread.

All regulated mods are is user friendly. All you have to do is plug n play so noobs can build down to .1 or buy .2 coil heads and if they mess up it wont fire. If it fires then hey turn up the watts and we're chuckin. Its like vaping for dummies.

Harshest post in this thread.

In the end, I think it really boils down to aesthetics. In most cases you can recreate the same vapor production on a mech mod that you can on a regulated device (although, as I suppose I've learned, there certainly are exceptions). I have no problem lugging around a box mod, and I'm not gonna lie, sometimes it's a lil bulky for my preference. But I think a mech mod can have similar drawbacks -- you need to carry around extra batteries (in most cases), and while they're usually easy to repair, mech mods do have fiddly parts that can get messed up (locking rings, contacts, etc.)

There's no one that is better.

I suppose in a vapocalypse, it'll be super useful to have my mech mods around (and know how to build without the aid of a regulated device, which is knowledge I have had for some time). But until my regulated mods all die, and it's somehow impossible for me to replace them -- which honestly I don't see happening anytime soon -- I'm stickin' to 'em. They'll pull the regulated box mod from my cold, dead hands.

Reactions: Mr.Mann

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
They aren't all flashy. Some are very understated, and I think classy.

See, I disagree with the bad battery life. I'm not changing my batteries any sooner than I do with single battery regulated mods. I've gotten much better at building for mechs. A couple weeks ago, I ran a battery down to 2.96v :shock: It was still vaping pretty well. I didn't think that was possible, but I did. So now I'm being more vigilant about that. So it really is a matter of mastering a mech build :|

I admit I really like the battery life on my dual battery regulated mods though :). I don't need 100W, but I love the battery life.

Reactions: Thrasher

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
They aren't all flashy. Some are very understated, and I think classy.

See, I disagree with the bad battery life. I'm not changing my batteries any sooner than I do with single battery regulated mods. I've gotten much better at building for mechs. A couple weeks ago, I ran a battery down to 2.96v :shock: It was still vaping pretty well. I didn't think that was possible, but I did. So now I'm being more vigilant about that. So it really is a matter of mastering a mech build :|

I admit I really like the battery life on my dual battery regulated mods though :). I don't need 100W, but I love the battery life.
Beat me too it. The bad battery life myth came from the super subohmers. When your running some crazy 60 watt build of course the vapor will suck in 20 min but My Kayfun is .9 and runs fine for an easy 8 -10 hours, sometimes longer. I too, can run em down without noticing

Last edited:
Reactions: roxynoodle

Dioxyde

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
Oregon
Okay, to explain where I'm coming from on my comment about the battery life it's been my experience that to get a good warm vape off a mech I have to build coils that are very low resistance, even at .5 I feel the battery drop pretty quickly, and when you get even lower than that it zaps the battery life really bad. Sounds like I'm missing something though so feel free to drop some knowledge on me about how to get a nice warm vape off a mech without a really low build.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I'm not having a problem with duals in the 0.4-0.55 ohm range. I'm at least getting through a whole tank (RTA person), and down to at least 3.6v (and sometimes lower). I'm finding I want my single coil tanks in the 0.6-0.8 ohm range depending on the tank.

I do find some mods of course hit better than others. I love my copper Stingrays, and my Poldiac. My SS Nemis, not so much. I just got a Phenom, and so far it seems to be performing well. I have my new Aqua SE on it at 0.5 and its hitting hard all the way through.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey everyone, since I've started nearly a month ago I read a tone of information about vaporizers. But out of all one thing I still haven't understood is why use mech mods?

I see why people love to use dripping atomizer, since you can rebuild its coils and further customize your experience, etc. But why do they commonly attach a dripping atomizer to a mech mod? Instead, why not use a nice electronical mod where you can tweak the voltage or wattage you want?

Thanks people.

high powered regulated mods are still pretty new; just 2 years ago when I started vaping the common regulated mod was running at 10 to 15 watts, while mech users were basically shorting out their batteries and vaping at 50 to 100 watts.

Today, you can get those kinds of powers with regulated mods, so there is no longer a need to use mechs for that purpose; in fact you can use regulated mods with 2 and 3 batteries to get high power.

I myself only vape in the 10-20 watt range mostly, but I do have several mechs and 5+ kick modules for them. Having a mech is like having a bike you can ride if your car won't start. That's why most mechs are bottom switched instead of top switched

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
As with most things in life, it just depends. Not all mechanicals can be lumped together just as not all regulated mods can be lumped together. Some mechanicals have some pretty intricate and proprietary parts that will tie you to the vendor if the parts get lost or damaged -- so the mod will not be so easily fixed unless going back to the manufacturer. And many of these inexpensive (re: cheap) regulated mods won't be regulating much one day (and some ain't even doing it out of the box!), so then what?

There are some fantastic mechanicals I would buy in heartbeat (I am coming for you, Mr. Kuroyama) over some regulated mods, just as there are some regulated mods I want to have now! At the end of the night, there are pluses and minuses to everything. It's best to have a variety of vape gear to cover all bases. I say the hell with either/or and go with both/and. The best bet is to just get good and solid vape gear, no matter what category the gear fits in.

Reactions: Mooch

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
In the end, I think it really boils down to aesthetics. In most cases you can recreate the same vapor production on a mech mod that you can on a regulated device (although, as I suppose I've learned, there certainly are exceptions). I have no problem lugging around a box mod, and I'm not gonna lie, sometimes it's a lil bulky for my preference. But I think a mech mod can have similar drawbacks -- you need to carry around extra batteries (in most cases), and while they're usually easy to repair, mech mods do have fiddly parts that can get messed up (locking rings, contacts, etc.)

There's no one that is better.

I suppose in a vapocalypse, it'll be super useful to have my mech mods around (and know how to build without the aid of a regulated device, which is knowledge I have had for some time). But until my regulated mods all die, and it's somehow impossible for me to replace them -- which honestly I don't see happening anytime soon -- I'm stickin' to 'em. They'll pull the regulated box mod from my cold, dead hands.

Oops. Just saw this. I think I pretty much reworded your some of your sentiment.

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
first post on ecf after 2 years lurking! lol...
Mechs are the best if you like the technical side of hobby vaping. expertise in coiling a mech is a long term thing, and built well a mech can perform equally as well as a high watt reg. I run 60-90w always with my self made squonkers,(2 batt parallel) and get awesome performance and long life.
Regs are cracking right out of the box with any half decent build and cant be beaten for new vapers! I cut my teeth with gennys on ss wicks before cotton was even thought of, and it was awfully difficult to even get carto vape quality be several weeks practice! things were different back then. Vivi novas were considered a good atty with carto style drippers being the hotrods. damn that's funny....

Reactions: Mr.Mann

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
MOSFET-Metallic Oxide Semiconductor/Field Effect Transistor? (I didn't have to look that up).

The OP started vaping a month ago (congrats Jordan, keep it up!) and asked a basic question. In less than 12 hours it has become a p|ssing contest? Whatever keeps you from smoking cigs is the best one for you.

It may be a mech/regulated/jumper cables to an atomizer. Whatever works.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
first post on ecf after 2 years lurking! lol...
Mechs are the best if you like the technical side of hobby vaping. expertise in coiling a mech is a long term thing, and built well a mech can perform equally as well as a high watt reg. I run 60-90w always with my self made squonkers,(2 batt parallel) and get awesome performance and long life.
Regs are cracking right out of the box with any half decent build and cant be beaten for new vapers! I cut my teeth with gennys on ss wicks before cotton was even thought of, and it was awfully difficult to even get carto vape quality be several weeks practice! things were different back then. Vivi novas were considered a good atty with carto style drippers being the hotrods. damn that's funny....

I remember I resisted cotton for awhile. It just seemed so strange! But it sure didn't take as long as gennys to master (and I never did quite master them, though I got okay at it).

vkiwi

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
nz
www.vrwoodmods.co.nz
I remember I resisted cotton for awhile. It just seemed so strange! But it sure didn't take as long as gennys to master (and I never did quite master them, though I got okay at it).
yep, know what you mean, I never mastered them either! funny to see other veteran vapers in the noob forum. To the noobs, This is the best place to be, everthing you could need except hardware. Enjoy guys and welcome to the vape world!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I bought my first mech because I had pretty much bricked two vamos and I wanted something that would keep working no matter what I did to it(pretty much). Now they are all I use. Why? As has been said already, I like the looks of them, and with my vaping style(0.7-0.9ohm dripper) and the amount that I vape(<3ml/day) I can get almost two days out of a single 18650. I've thought about buying a regulated mod, but then I think about getting juice in the electronics, or dropping it, or something else that would make it stop working, and so I don't. I did just order an unregulated bottom feeder, not a mech, but close.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Well right at this moment I can't imagine building a mech mod, my three electronic contraptions work fine BUT I never in a zillion years would have thought I would quit smoking. I never thought I would DIY juice - but I vape a lot and $30.00 a week seemed like a lot and that's before the government regulates and taxes so who knows where this vaping idea will flow. I don't!

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I'm an equal opportunity vaper. I vape on everything that I can get my hands on, and what my budget will allow. I rebuild because I enjoy it, and it relaxes me.

As to mechs, I own about the same number of mechs as I do regulated mods. For me, there's just a certain element of satisfaction with wrapping a coil just right, wicking it perfectly, tossing on a mech, hitting the button, and having a nice vape.

It just feels good. That's why.

Reactions: DaveSignal

Martnargh

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Miami
I havent used any of my mechs since i got a hexohm v2. I like the idea of building up to around .3 and get full 100+w which provides warmer tastier vape than any of my mechs could. Few regulated mods can do this and no sigelei150 is not one of them that thing throws numbers out its bum and people eat em up.
Although i enjoy my hexohm more than my mechs we all have to admit a copper cherrybomber, fully mechanical box with almost no drop, will outperform anything on the market, thus bringing the power back to the mechs.

Reactions: vkiwi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread