Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Nicely done, sir.

You're going to love that little beast of an atty. I run at least one derri every day and it's going to take something very special to knock it from top of the heap.

One niggling note (and not to be a downer) - you might want to consider running the positive legs a tad longer so that the coils are as close to "parallel" with the outer lip of the base (and thus, the air holes) as possible. This would get you more consistent air over the length of the coils.

Nice, tight coils and a good build, otherwise. :toast:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Nicely done, sir.

You're going to love that little beast of an atty. I run at least one derri every day and it's going to take something very special to knock it from top of the heap.

One niggling note (and not to be a downer) - you might want to consider running the positive legs a tad longer so that the coils are as close to "parallel" with the outer lip of the base (and thus, the air holes) as possible. This would get you more consistent air over the length of the coils.

Nice, tight coils and a good build, otherwise. :toast:
It's interesting you say that...for as long as I can remember I've done that, so that the coil is incredibly close to the deck wall and truly paralell, ie each end of the coil is just as close to the airhole, not leaning away at an angle. But I experimented recently and didn't notice too much of a difference in flavor or vapor. The only thing I noticed is the coils fire a little more "readily" but that's because I always pulled at the coil a bit to stretch the positive leg out and "turn" the coil towards the airflow.

2 of my D's are done like that and one is done like Alawot's. It's tough, but if I had to be nitpicky and say which of my coils are best...I'd say that the one more like Alawot's fires the best because I did virtually zero adjusting after tightening down, just made sure the height was correct and the coils were even on the horizontal plane. It's responsive by like, an extra few milliseconds. But I'd say the others taste a hair better, just a hair - and seem to cool down faster after a long lung hit. I attribute that to the fact that the airflow is hitting them more directly.

Just thinking out loud...in no way disagreeing, at all. Like I say I always built like that but I noticed a lot of people (Russ, among many others) tend to have a slight angle because they're not pulling the coils or what have you, with the idea being "mess with it less." So I tried it with that natural angle. My jury is still out on how to build going forth. The one thing I've realized in all my fiddling is how goshdarn important coil height is. If my coils are even slightly too high, I wind up with "sizzling" after a long lung hit, and sometimes, an off taste because of it.

Good conversation material! :)

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Brotha Alawot that vid was awesome man. You should post that in Tom's thread too if you haven't already. I bet he'd love to see it. I already told you but I'll tell you again bro, for your first dual coil build ever, that's unbelievable!!

Can you all believe how awesome a job for a first time dualing!? I remember my first set of duallies, man they were nowhere near that good. Took me a while to get it down but Alawot here is a pro off the bat.

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
Does anyone know if the derringer is only good at sub-ohm. I build dual coils that net about 1-1.3 on my nuppin and that's about where I like em
Mmm never tried, my guess is, meh...the chamber is small but everything is relative. Maybe someone else will weigh in from experience.

My guess is it's a good vape but not nearly as flavorful as the Nuppin in that ohm range

Reactions: Debadoo

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Does anyone know if the derringer is only good at sub-ohm. I build dual coils that net about 1-1.3 on my nuppin and that's about where I like em

I like it best at dual 1ohms on my derringer.. using 30 gage X2 2ohm coils 7 wraps using 2.5 bit on the coil master and kgd.

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
oh kewl! and you get really good flavor from that? I used 30g wire also, have been doing 8 wraps on a 2mm ID and kgd

Flavorless but I know it's good cause it really pronounces the vg as its really warm and sweet. I've tried 2mm coil and like 2.5 better.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
It's interesting you say that...for as long as I can remember I've done that, so that the coil is incredibly close to the deck wall and truly paralell, ie each end of the coil is just as close to the airhole, not leaning away at an angle. But I experimented recently and didn't notice too much of a difference in flavor or vapor. The only thing I noticed is the coils fire a little more "readily" but that's because I always pulled at the coil a bit to stretch the positive leg out and "turn" the coil towards the airflow.

2 of my D's are done like that and one is done like Alawot's. It's tough, but if I had to be nitpicky and say which of my coils are best...I'd say that the one more like Alawot's fires the best because I did virtually zero adjusting after tightening down, just made sure the height was correct and the coils were even on the horizontal plane. It's responsive by like, an extra few milliseconds. But I'd say the others taste a hair better, just a hair - and seem to cool down faster after a long lung hit. I attribute that to the fact that the airflow is hitting them more directly.

Just thinking out loud...in no way disagreeing, at all. Like I say I always built like that but I noticed a lot of people (Russ, among many others) tend to have a slight angle because they're not pulling the coils or what have you, with the idea being "mess with it less." So I tried it with that natural angle. My jury is still out on how to build going forth. The one thing I've realized in all my fiddling is how goshdarn important coil height is. If my coils are even slightly too high, I wind up with "sizzling" after a long lung hit, and sometimes, an off taste because of it.

Good conversation material! :)

I would imagine that with many inhale styles it wouldn't make much of a difference. I tend to take longer DL hits these days and the difference in coil temp from one end of the coil to the other when they're at an angle to the air holes is noticeable - results in some after-fire sizzling and/or juice cooking at the "inner" end of the coil at times.

I suppose I picked up the practise from using a Cyclone and other small diameter atties where the delta in coil end distance from the air hole is greater as a percentage of the deck size when they're even a little off - little adjustments make such a difference in that environment.

Agreed about the coil height, too. Huge factor in the vape quality.

malkuth

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2013
Gray, TN, USA
You will find that the Derringer is good with your coils. However, if you over squonk, it will leak badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread