Watch out for fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsafisafi

May 23, 2015
i have been using {Company name} to purchase my cartomisers.I made a purchase on 5/20/15 and by 5/21/15 my bank account was empty.Someone used my credit card information on PayPal and spent over $800 in biker's jacket.So please be aware of what you are spending and monitor your account when making online purchases.

Last edited by a moderator:

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I'm not saying it wasn't {Company Name} cuz I don't know, but if you have made any purchases with that card in the last few months, it could be from any of them.

A few years back I was using network solution's hosted shopping cart on one of my sites when millions of cc numbers and accompanying id info was stolen from them. Network solutions didn't bother to notify me for a few months (they said because they were "internally investigating") so by the time I found out and scrambled to notify my customers, nearly 3 months had passed. From the info I was able to gather, the offenders sold the cc info - so some people were hit with fraudulent charges right away, others weren't hit until much later. I don't know how often it happens this way, I just know that it does happen.

Sorry this happened to you and I hope you get it straightened out without too much trouble.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
i have been using {Company Name} to purchase my cartomisers.I made a purchase on 5/20/15 and by 5/21/15 my bank account was empty.Someone used my credit card information on PayPal and spent over $800 in biker's jacket.So please be aware of what you are spending and monitor your account when making online purchases.
OK, I am watching.

RayN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2012
Texas
Yeah, important to never use a debit card anywhere online. Debit card you lose actual money and fight to get it back. Credit card you lose "available credit" during the investigation. One way might keep you from paying rent, the other maybe you'll have to buy that new mod you want after the investigation.

Prepaid are great, but some have fees that make them not worthwhile. Credit card you have $0 liability for the fraudulent purchase as long as you report it in a timely manner.

Reactions: DaveSignal

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
I do not know about other countries, but in Australia we can buy a card that we load up to as much money that I want at a time. i.e if I want to go shopping online for a total price $200 that is how much I deposit to the card and if any one wants to scam it then once the purchase is paid for there is nothing to scam. The other way to do it is open an account at a bank and get a plastic fantastic and do EFT transfers just before you make a purchase. At other times just keep a minimum balance in it. I have such a card with my bank and it is linked by EFT and never had a problem. That is the card I give to Paypal or any internet vendor. However I do not shop in the USA alas, as for some confounded reason the vendors do not accept paypal for vapes. I have been scammed by a couple of vendors allegedly in the USA but they were not. I paid for the goods and had to whistle dixie for them. The same has happened in China but there I paid by PayPal and got my money back. I will not deal with anyone that does not accept paypal.

Nsafisafi

May 23, 2015
A few months ago our credit card # was hacked just
a couple of days after ordering from {Company Name}. Don't
know if there's a connection but just wanted to mention
that. I haven't ordered from them since.

I have contacted them and let them know I won't be buying from them again.But it very aggravating work trying to fix this and making all the calls and being placed on hold for long period of time.Why I'm letting the ecig community know that they are taking risk purchasing front this company. I hope they still sending my last order out

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
i have been using {Company Name} to purchase my cartomisers.I made a purchase on 5/20/15 and by 5/21/15 my bank account was empty.Someone used my credit card information on PayPal and spent over $800 in biker's jacket.So please be aware of what you are spending and monitor your account when making online purchases.
I've been hit for amounts from around $30 to over $2500 over the years.

I check my credit card transactions a minimum of once a week, usually twice a week to keep an eye on things.

Fortunately I haven't had any issues with getting fraudulent charges removed in the last ten years or so.

Awareness is your friend.

Reactions: mattiem

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Yeah, important to never use a debit card anywhere online. Debit card you lose actual money and fight to get it back. Credit card you lose "available credit" during the investigation. One way might keep you from paying rent, the other maybe you'll have to buy that new mod you want after the investigation.

Prepaid are great, but some have fees that make them not worthwhile. Credit card you have $0 liability for the fraudulent purchase as long as you report it in a timely manner.
Exactly. Debit cards should never be used anywhere. You are giving your bank details away.
Credit cards do not touch your bank and you are not liable for a fraudulent transaction. The best creditors handle this stuff so fast that you could have your credit back within hours.

mcol

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 5, 2013
Missouri
Yup - I didn't mention it to them or in here because I can't
be sure it was them. It could have been a transaction months
ago or there could have been a data breach in the system.
However it just sorta left me with a bad taste and I haven't
ordered there again since that happened. Make sure you
keep your browser especially up to date, and yes Malwarebytes
is a free and good program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread