Tobacco vs. nicotine: Vaping might be way to curtail greater harm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydroscopic

Mar 6, 2015
United States
Tobacco vs. nicotine: Vaping might be way to curtail greater harm via News Observer
http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article21612225.html
In June, the FDA is expected to announce plans for regulating vaporized nicotine. I support FDA oversight, including bans on selling electronic cigarettes to children. But because vaporizing is not smoking, the rules that govern electronic cigarettes should probably not be as stringent as those that govern tobacco. Just as important as appropriate regulation is the availability of robust, long-term funding to support research into the safety and effectiveness of vaporized nicotine and other tobacco harm-reduction strategies.

Once in a while it is good to see an op-ed piece that is not absolutely anti-vaping.

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
I'll give him a B+ on this one, the only thing that bothers me in it is his use of tobacco instead of cigarettes, he hasn't quite moved over to THR fully. He only brings up the one question that many on ECF have, what are the possible long term affects of inhaling ingredients long considered safe when used in food and he doesn't use it as a club to beat on the use of e-cigarettes.

:2c:

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
and it doesn’t mean users suffer no ill effects. Novices can experience transient dizziness, nausea and vomiting, and in large doses nicotine can, in fact, prove fatal, although such poisoning is rare.

A few lies, and fear mongering....

Nicotine’s relative safety is further underscored by the drug physicians routinely recommend as a proven aid to quitting tobacco.

Not true. The percentage of long term cessation is low.

Like many other drugs, nicotine use breeds dependence through an insidious process that is both physical and psychological.

We're finding (and there are studies on this) that this is less likely than believed.

It’s worth stressing that much is still not known about the long-term safety of vaporized nicotine.

Felt to be almost a required statement, by anyone who isn't an ANTZ. :facepalm: I praise those who don't stoop to it.

I support FDA oversight, including bans on selling electronic cigarettes to children. But because vaporizing is not smoking, the rules that govern electronic cigarettes should probably not be as stringent as those that govern tobacco.

"Probably" ?? Lame attempt to sound 'reasonable' (weasel words - despicable).

Just as important as appropriate regulation is the availability of robust, long-term funding to support research into the safety and effectiveness of vaporized nicotine and other tobacco harm-reduction strategies.

Iow, we need more tax money anyway to find out if they are 'probably not' as harmful as cigarettes.

For those who have fought the good fight against a tobacco industry that, like a multi-headed hydra, responds to tobacco control measures with a panoply of subversive marketing ploys –New flavors! Lights! Camel Cash!

"Subversive"?? Yep this guy loves Senator Harkin and Rockefeller.

D+ is about the best I'd give him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread