Musing-My thoughts on what's to come-or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I do realize that when the hammer comes down it isn't going to come down from a federal level because of the few that choose to make a game of vaping. I realize that it is all about the money they are losing because we have found a way to put the smokes behind us and hopefully a way to keep anyone else from EVER picking up the habit of smoking. Their ONLY concern is lost revenue.

The taxes and/or restrictions are coming, Of that, I have no doubt. We have to do whatever we can to keep them from taxing/restricting us into oblivion.

When the smoking restrictions started it didn't start from the federal level. It started very small and grew into what we have today. It started in small towns, grew to counties and then to states and finally to just about everywhere.

Businesses were no longer allowed to choose how they would handle smoking/no smoking. It became law and they were forced to abide by that law or close their doors.

It happened so slowly that most of us didn't see it coming. We were the frog in the pot of water slowly being brought to a boil. Hopefully we are more aware this time.

Those that make a game of it will have an impact on how vaping is viewed by those that don't understand or even care what vaping is all about. I don't like it but there it is.

I am talking about at a local level. A local busybody, someone that has nothing better to do at the moment, sees something she/he doesn't understand so doesn't approve of. I'm not saying it is right but, let's face it, it happens way to often in every small town in America and sadly, around the world.

Ever hear the term, squeaky wheel gets the grease. Well, that busybody is the squeaky wheel. Every town has at least one and that person has the ear of the "powers that be" in that small town. That person manages to get the "powers that be" to force businesses in that small town to put up signs "No Vaping Allowed" just to appease that busy body. It is not right but it happens every day.

This scenario is being played out in hundreds of thousands of small towns all over the world.

When I joined this forum it was all about helping your fellow vaper. I still see some of that but sadly, I also see so much infighting. We have to work together if we are going to preserve this healthier alternative to smoking for not only ourselves but also for future generations.

The bottom line is. We have to find a way to stand together or we will end up regulated into oblivion. Please think before bashing those that see the writing on the wall. One of the best things one can do is join CASAA so that you may keep up with what is actually happening and then answer those calls to action. If we don't stand up for our rights we WILL lose them.

Please don't let that local busybody win in the end. Thank you for reading my thoughts.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I do believe that we are all ambassodors to the vaping cause. We have to be vocal with our reps, from local all the way to federal. We need to educate friends, family and co-workers - not just the smokers, in fact I think it's more important to educate the non-smokers at this point.

That said, I still think that inconsiderate jerks will always be inconsiderate jerks and we're not going to change that. I counter that image by showing the public how a responsible vaper behaves. I DO vape in non-smoking areas, but not in crowds, or where people are eating. I don't blow huge clouds in these situations, and I don't blow it in people's faces or on their stuff, I make an effort to keep it to myself. So those who see me and are still offended anyway are probably going to have an attitude about vaping no matter how nice ALL of us are, but the rest of the general population will hopefully see that there are 2 kinds of vapers -- the jerks, and the rest of us.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thank you for your thoughts Katt. I agree that there are jerks in all walks of life and yes, all we can do when faced with those that have closed minds is continue on with showing those with open minds what this is all about.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Mattiem, you said, "When I joined this forum it was all about helping your fellow vaper. I still see some of that but sadly, I also see so much infighting." I've seen more than a few people who used to help out on the noob forum say they don't anymore because they simply have no clue what a lot of those people are saying. Many of us haven't kept up with the newer flood of stuff coming onto the market. I admire the heck out of Susan and the gang that have stuck with it and help new members on a daily basis.

There's also a lot more young'uns on here now than there used to be. Used to be on here people that had smoked 10, 20, 30... 50+ years. I'm grateful many have only smoked a few years, realized they were in trouble and switched to vaping, but don't think they quite grasp the extent of the threat. Some do but most don't seem to understand or care.

We've all disagreed on topics but you're right, there does seem to be more vehement disagreements now. Not a lot, but a definite shift. Seems to be newer people and perhaps they haven't figured out they're not on reddit or the like. The media, legislation, FDA, ect. subforums do seem to be attracting more people these days getting indignant and fighting back and that gives me hope.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
I hope everyone takes the opportunity to write their positive story. As was said, writing to a federal legislator is not the priority, it is local. There is a sub-forum for success stories to use as examples. Sending it to the Editor of local papers for inclusion in the Opinion/Editorial (OP/ED) page is good. It usually is limitad to about 300-500 words though.

Sending to more newspapers is even better.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Calls to action from Casaa are easy enough to answer I work 50 and 60 hr weeks and I have no problem doing it.
Letters to editors of news channels or papers is a good thing. Throwing a little cash to Casaa is also needed. it dose not have to be much just a little from time to time will help the cause.

Fuzzy Bruce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2014
Fort Liquordale, Fl.
The cash cow that is big tobacco money at state level, spent before it is even received is a major roadblock for vapor users. As tobacco use starts to decline, so too does the money going into the pot of the politicians. This has more than a few of "our" legislators scrambling to find other ways to keep the cash flowing.

As a whole, if the folks who vape, voted as a block, there would be shattering proportions of politicians getting the boot from their "for the people" positions of leadership. Not to be a defeatist, but this can probably be said for other groups such as AARP, AAA and even the NRA. As best as I can tell, it is always best to fight for what you believe in, but,,, money rules the win.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
The cash cow that is big tobacco money at state level, spent before it is even received is a major roadblock for vapor users. As tobacco use starts to decline, so too does the money going into the pot of the politicians. This has more than a few of "our" legislators scrambling to find other ways to keep the cash flowing.

As a whole, if the folks who vape, voted as a block, there would be shattering proportions of politicians getting the boot from their "for the people" positions of leadership. Not to be a defeatist, but this can probably be said for other groups such as AARP, AAA and even the NRA. As best as I can tell, it is always best to fight for what you believe in, but,,, money rules the win.
Or at the county level. I wish I could write a responsible rebuttal, not my state and maybe I could do better if it was, but no one else has. Maybe someone here can. http://www.gazette.net/article/20150520/OPINION/150529792&template=gazette Seems that what they are doing is illegal but they don't seem to care who they hurt.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thank you all for reading and more importantly, understanding what I was trying to say. Thank you for your musings too.

I think most of us are on the same page but are all walking our own path. We want to help but don't know which way to turn. I find that reading comprehension has fallen by the wayside. So I can see how so many of the threads turn into a bashing. In fact, I ran across a reading comprehension test given to 12th graders just yesterday. Only 38 % of the students scored at or above a proficient level. It is usually not the students fault. Sadly, they are not being taught. Leave no child behind was one of the most detrimental programs ever thought up for our young ones. I do realize too that most teachers and the schools have their hands tied so I can't blame them either. :(

The blame has to go to that local busybody. That is where all of this starts. Just as in what we are fighting right now. It has always started because one or a very few, decide how they think everyone should live and act. The fight has to be fought at the local level and then spread out from there. I pray that it isn't to late and am working in hope that it isn't.

I wrote a piece to our local paper. I answer all calls to action. No matter where they are. I've not donated to CASAA but I plan to. I try to be optimistic and think small steps by thousands of vapers will add up to giant steps.

PS: I read that article FT and it made my blood boil too.

Last edited:

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Or at the county level. I wish I could write a responsible rebuttal, not my state and maybe I could do better if it was, but no one else has. Maybe someone here can. http://www.gazette.net/article/20150520/OPINION/150529792&template=gazette Seems that what they are doing is illegal but they don't seem to care who they hurt.
What a hateful piece. Its a shame we are under attack at every level. Personally I think all sin tax should be repealed. IMO its either legal or its not. Nothing should be taxed at a higher rate. It opens the door for to much mischief from the politicians. Next where is the money going to go? Just like the Tobacco settlements I have as yet to here of one person who recieved free health care for tobacco related illness, even though some states receive very large sums of money for just that each year!

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY
All this is only important to some people in some places. For many, and I'm gonna say Texas but I'm not actually sure, it maybe possible to fight for freedom. For people in places like NY its all but over.

NY is broke. And in debt to the gills. Taxes are already near 100% so raising them would be hard and the final straw in driving the last of the working class to other states. NY took loans against the cigarette money and its not pennies either IIRC its a billion dollars. Up until say a year ago vaping was a gnat buzzing around Albany. But lately gear has gotten so good I can't believe how fast smokers are quitting. When I'm at the smoking area at work I am just staggered that only one(1) person still smokes. Well Albany is staggered too. And they won't have it. An iron fist is gonna come down soon here. Report on the news the other day didn't say exactly when but my SWAG is by years end.

So its great many of you are fighting. I cheer you.

But in NY and other states its over. Best be hoarding, planning to quit outright or return to smoking.

The FDA is important because if it goes the right way smuggling may still be possible. And yes a state can outlaw things that others don't. Happens all the time.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Thank you Jugband.

I know I won't see it in my lifetime since I am on the downhill side of my lifetime but I have hope that one day cigarettes will be a thing of the past. I see that as possible but only if this life saving device is not regulated out of existence. I am trying to be optimistic but it is getting more difficult every day.

Reactions: FlamingoTutu

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Shall we all take a moment this Memorial Day to reflect upon and Thank all the ones that gave their lives to insure that we could keep the freedoms our forefathers fought and died for.

We are losing those freedoms one by one but that doesn't take away from their sacrifice for each and every one of us.

May God bless the families of all the fallen soldiers and give them peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread