The ProVarinati Diner & Saloon #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Good luck KAS! Keep an eye on the classifieds too, rumor has it they tend to pop up there after a sale...

I did find out one thing in all this, that I could buy the stabilized wood myself, and send it to Rob and have him make it for me. That opens up a lot of options. :)

KAS

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I did find out one thing in all this, that I could buy the stabilized wood myself, and send it to Rob and have him make it for me. That opens up a lot of options. :)

KAS
Yeah, I picked up on that chatter. I couldn't figure out is if he would only do it in concert with a run though? I've got a Grand in with him now getting the new 510, asked if he could mill it to super light and was told they do not do that. In the past he wouldn't sell me just the old style 510 center pin/juice nipple, but you can buy them in the re-build kit. You would need to clear that up with him, I would think. I know a great source for stabilized burl wood, I'm curious to know how this all works myself...

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Yeah, I picked up on that chatter. I couldn't figure out is if he would only do it in concert with a run though? I've got a Grand in with him now getting the new 510, asked if he could mill it to super light and was told they do not do that. In the past he wouldn't sell me just the old style 510 center pin/juice nipple, but you can buy them in the re-build kit. You would need to clear that up with him, I would think. I know a great source for stabilized burl wood, I'm curious to know how this all works myself...

Even if I had to wait till the next run that would be okay, just knowing that I could get one custom made, gives me something to think about. I would have to buy the stabilized wood first, it would be nice to know, that it would be mine, and not have to F5 battle to get it. :)

KAS

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
I finally got 2 REO woodvil's ordered today my first choice was sold but I got my 2nd choice, I also ordered one in Oak and Quilted maple Maple. I received a Chalice 3 yesterday. :)

KAS

I don't see the Doc, but there's lots of other stuff, like:

Aliens and a giraffe being attacked by a jellyfish monster

kas_reo_2.jpg

A dog, a thing getting sick, a balloon, a rat, a snake eating a fish getting killed by a beaver, and a happy mime.

kas_reo_1.jpg

There are more things, but my eyes are getting tired.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I don't see the Doc, but there's lots of other stuff, like:

Aliens and a giraffe being attacked by a jellyfish monster

kas_reo_2.jpg

A dog, a thing getting sick, a balloon, a rat, a snake eating a fish getting killed by a beaver, and a happy mime.

kas_reo_1.jpg

HA! I was not even thinking about looking for stuff like that, I know this one I will like more than the other, but I will have to look at it closer when I get it. :)

KAS

Reactions: The Ocelot

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Well, it's just preference really...
The poly is going to be "slick" - like a table or bar that's been "varnished"? Not super thick, but a glossy clear coat. Shiny and a little easier maintenance. The oil, that's going to have natural feel of very smooth but "raw" wood. You'll need to oil it more often.

Either one (but especially oiled) you periodically re-oil, so the wood doesn't get dried out, and also so it doesn't absorb too MUCH moisture from the air (or, for instance, the door could warp a little and become a tight fit) if you hang out someplace humid.

Question.....since I can't seem to "x" the site out, lol!! What are anyone's opinions on poly finish and oil finish on the Reo's?? Going to bed but looking forward to some reading with my morning coffee!! :w00t::thumb:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
HA! I was not even thinking about looking for stuff like that, I know this one I will like more than the other, but I will have to look at it closer when I get it. :)

KAS

I always think about stuff like that. It's the way my brain is wired.

ETA: I'll bet this is the first time the phrase, "a snake eating a fish getting killed by a beaver" has been posted on the internet.

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Question.....since I can't seem to "x" the site out, lol!! What are anyone's opinions on poly finish and oil finish on the Reo's?? Going to bed but looking forward to some reading with my morning coffee!! :w00t::thumb:
I like oil finished wood myself, it still feels like wood. Polyurethane finish feels like plastic. I have some tung oil and some Danish Watco oil in my woodworking stash, so I can touch up the finish every six months to a year on my new baby.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I'm confused. Rob isn't milling down Grands anymore?

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
I'm confused. Rob isn't milling down Grands anymore?
He still mills them down to low pro. I got one done a couple weeks ago.

Oh he'd grind down the top to make it "LP". I think Enaud wanted one turned "SL" - the ones with holes in 'em...
images

Yeah, he won't do that...kinda bummed me out, I was hoping he would and even would have paid whatever he asked, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread