az

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
I was hoping for more sources.
This is another supplier if your in the area (shipping adds up)
TheRingLord.com Chainmail Jump Rings jumprings Scalemail Jewelry Supplies and Wire - Anodized Titanium Wire

I think Reactive Metals in Arizona also carry Ti wire used for jewelry.
Sorry. I may have misunderstood what you were asking. I just wanted to mention a US supplier that I have found reliable and that provides excellent titanium wire in a large number of gauges based on my own personal experience. I thought it might be helpful to others but perhaps I was mistaken.

Reactions: aikanae1

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Your fine. My fingers were crossed probably for something that doesn't exist for some strange reason. I use Ti in jewelry and the prices in EU are drool worthy.
I'm not sure what were you looking for? The wire I mentioned has been laboratory analyzed and found to have excellent chemistry and mechanical properties. It is a local US supplier and I find the prices competitive. Is there some other issue that I've missed?

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I'm not sure what were you looking for? The wire I mentioned has been laboratory analyzed and found to have excellent chemistry and mechanical properties. It is a local US supplier and I find the prices competitive. Is there some other issue that I've missed?

Nope. Just always looking.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Nope. Just always looking.
OK,
Crazy Wire currently lists 21 gauge as their finest wire and I was thinking that was probably too heavy for most coils vapers would use so I thought that a wider range of wire gauges might be helpful. Crazy Wire's price is good but with intercontinental shipping it's not cheap to the U.S. I guess I don't see how their product is very useful at least to me. Maybe they will be handling some finer gauges in the near future.

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I think Ring Lord carries 30ga CP1 (chemically pure) wire. I haven't looked at Reactive Metals catalog for awhile. I usually do better calling these places since they often have unpublished stock. I know Ring Lord used to carry wire sample kits and a variety of stainless steel wire. Alloys in stainless can be tricky. The medical grade (surgical steel) releases more nickel than regular. It's a misleading term. Personally, I'd stay away from stainless. Maybe I don't understand what your goals are.

Hey, your next door to me (location). Reactive Metals is in Clarksdale. You want to know anything about Ti or other metals, talk to the guy there. Their warehouse used to be open to the public, but I'm not sure it is anymore. He wrote the book.

Last edited:

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
OK, Crazy Wire currently lists 21 gauge as their finest wire and I was thinking that was probably too heavy for most coils vapers would use so I thought that a wider range of wire gauges might be helpful. Crazy Wire's price is good but with intercontinental shipping it's not cheap to the U.S. I guess I don't see how their product is very useful at least to me. Maybe they will be handling some finer gauges in the near future.

Yeah, you must have missed my discussion a couple of pages back. Their current Titanium range is not meant for vaping - large sizes as you said. I emailed them a month ago and then again on Friday to ask them to increase their range to meet the needs of vapers. In the Friday email I detailed all the recent advances in the vaping world around Titanium, such as Joyetech's and Dicodes' new mods with specific Ti support. They responded quickly and said that based on this new information they will start offering a full range of Titanium at gauges suitable for vapers. They expect to have it in in about two weeks.

I'm hoping that they might also offer treated wire, such as annealed to make it softer and easier to manage - I asked them for that as well, but don't know yet if they will act upon it. Their Ni200 wire is both annealed and tempered to make it super soft and malleable, or they offer a Hard Drawn option for greater strength. There's also the possibility in future that they might offer twisted wires, as they do with Kanthal - but not from day 1 I would expect.

The shipping to the US is a bit expensive, but that's what the postal service charges unfortunately. They will likely work out cheaper if you buy a large enough quantity - they have various deals such as five-for-the-price-of-four and 10-15% off every weekend.

And for non-EU customers all their prices are 20% cheaper than the price shown on the website because you don't have to pay the VAT - this will be discounted automatically at check out once you've given your address as non-EU, eg US. So a spool listed as £2.10 ($3.25) will actually be £1.75 ($2.71) before any other discounts.

I'll update again when the Ti wire becomes available.

Last edited:

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Yeah, you must have missed my discussion a couple of pages back. Their current Titanium range is not meant for vaping - large sizes as you said. I emailed them a month ago and then again on Friday to ask them to increase their range to meet the needs of vapers. In the Friday email I detailed all the recent advances in the vaping world around Titanium, such as Joyetech's and Dicodes' new mods with specific Ti support. They responded quickly and said that based on this new information they will start offering a full range of Titanium at gauges suitable for vapers. They expect to have it in in about two weeks.

I'm hoping that they might also offer treated wire, such as annealed to make it softer and easier to manage - I asked them for that as well, but don't know yet if they will act upon it. Their Ni200 wire is both annealed and tempered to make it super soft and malleable, or they offer a Hard Drawn option for greater strength. There's also the possibility in future that they might offer twisted wires, as they do with Kanthal - but not from day 1 I would expect.

The shipping to the US is a bit expensive, but that's what the postal service charges unfortunately. They will likely work out cheaper if you buy a large enough quantity - they have various deals such as five-for-the-price-of-four and 10-15% off every weekend.

And for non-EU customers all their prices are 20% cheaper than the price shown on the website because you don't have to pay the VAT - this will be discounted automatically at check out once you've given your address as non-EU, eg US. So a spool listed as £2.10 ($3.25) will actually be £1.75 ($2.71) before any other discounts.

I'll update again when the Ti wire becomes available.
No, I saw your discussion earlier. When Crazy Wire has finer gauges they'll be a real bargain for European vapers. I was just mentioning a source that has good wire for decent prices on the U.S. side of the Atlantic since there seemed to be a question about local suppliers.

Reactions: TheBloke

aikanae1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2013
az
I was pointing out sources on this side of the pond. I've dealt with the Etsy dealer before, he's a good guy but a jeweler. Understanding metals at the level it sounded like what you were looking for might not be optimal. I don't build or do my own coils, but I've always been interested in metals. I think there's a significant opportunity here.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
I was pointing out sources on this side of the pond. I've dealt with the Etsy dealer before, he's a good guy but a jeweler. Understanding metals at the level it sounded like what you were looking for might not be optimal. I don't build or do my own coils, but I've always been interested in metals. I think there's a significant opportunity here.
I spent most of my working life in titanium alloy development. First in the nuclear industry and then the bulk of it in developing titanium alloys for the aircraft gas turbine industry. I had the Etsy wire analyzed by my buddies where I used to work. He may be a jeweler but I can personally attest that his wire is technically of the highest grade. There is a lot of "commercially pure" Grade 1 wire that is dodgy. The Etsy wire is excellent.

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
So I bought some Ti wire from the etsy vendor that was linked in one of the posts. Doesn't look clean. Has somewhat a tarnished look. Are these no good? Should I just throw these away or am I supposed to wash them? If someone already answered this, my apologies. So many posts to read lol
Most all wire is supplied with a residual lubricant used in the drawing process and should be cleaned prior to winding a coil. I generally pull the wire through a fine abrasive such as a "green scrubby" with a little dishwashing detergent and water then through a paper towel with isopropyl alcohol. I've found if I don't clean any wire then some really bad tastes occur.

Also note that commercially pure or Grade 1 titanium is inherently sort of dull grey rather than shiny silver in color. Even with a pristine surface it doesn't look like silver or nickel.

foliagegreen

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2013
New York, NY, USA
Most all wire is supplied with a residual lubricant used in the drawing process and should be cleaned prior to winding a coil. I generally pull the wire through a fine abrasive such as a "green scrubby" with a little dishwashing detergent and water then through a paper towel with isopropyl alcohol. I've found if I don't clean any wire then some really bad tastes occur.

Also note that commercially pure or Grade 1 titanium is inherently sort of dull grey rather than shiny silver in color. Even with a pristine surface it doesn't look like silver or nickel.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Been using nothing but nickel up to this point so I figured Ti would have the same clean look. Will use the cleaning method you suggested. Can't wait to build with this wire!

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Been using nothing but nickel up to this point so I figured Ti would have the same clean look. Will use the cleaning method you suggested. Can't wait to build with this wire!
You might find that cleaning nickel wire is a good idea too. Most nickel wire benefits greatly from cleaning also. Also applies to Kanthal. :)

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Right it's 04.30, I've been playing with Titanium and Nickel Purity since before midnight. I must go to sleep now. But some quick thoughts:

• Nickel Purity works and is incredibly easy to use!
    • I did a lot of testing, matching the displayed resistance (the new Infinite board displays live resistance throughout the vape, incredibly helpful) against the displayed temperature, and then using a Coefficient of Resistance calculator to work out what coefficient it used.
    • Didn't take too long because it turned out to be really simple, easy, and logical: the 10-100 scale is simply the desired Coefficient, 10 = 0.001, 100 = 0.010.
    • So Titanium is 35 for 0.0035
    • I am vaping at 420°F with no burnt/dry hits, good vapour, etc. Dual coil 28G 8 wraps, 0.17 ohm.
    • Ditto cotton burn test produced no burning at same temp (where a control test without Nickel Purity using the same coil made very black cotton)
  • Titanium has to be some of the worst wire to work with :) Soooo springy. But I didn't try the torching yet, I will try that tomorrow
  • But it is very nice having contact coils for TC!
  • I made some twisted (2x28G) and that was a bit better, if only because twisting straightened it out. Still hellishly springy to work with, even more so I guess.
  • I didn't end up using the twisted wire to vape because I couldn't fit dual coil in my Aqua SE. I will try with an RDA tomorrow
Anyway I am happy and I think I will really like Titanium once I get used to it.

And I'm particularly pleased that Nickel Purity works, and even better/more easily than I could have hoped.

Tomorrow I am going to try SS317L stainless steel as well - where a setting of 10 should work (coefficient = 0.00094).

druckle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
Right it's 04.30, I've been playing with Titanium and Nickel Purity since before midnight. I must go to sleep now. But some quick thoughts:

• I did a lot of testing, matching the displayed resistance (the new Infinite board displays live resistance throughout the vape, incredibly helpful) against the displayed temperature, and then using a Coefficient of Resistance calculator to work out what coefficient it used.
    • Didn't take too long because it turned out to be really simple, easy, and logical: the 10-100 scale is simply the desired Coefficient, 10 = 0.001, 100 = 0.010.
    • I am vaping at 420°F with no burnt/dry hits, good vapour, etc. Dual coil 28G 8 wraps, 0.17 ohm.
    • Ditto cotton burn test produced no burning at same temp (where a control test without Nickel Purity using the same coil made very black cotton)
  • Titanium has to be some of the worst wire to work with :) Soooo springy. But I didn't try the torching yet, I will try that tomorrow
  • I made some twisted (2x28G) and that was a bit better, if only because twisting straightened it out. Still hellishly springy to work with, even more so I guess.
  • I didn't end up using the twisted wire to vape because I couldn't fit dual coil in my Aqua SE. I will try with an RDA tomorrow
Anyway I am happy and I think I will really like Titanium once I get used to it.

And I'm particularly pleased that Nickel Purity works, and even better/more easily than I could have hoped.

Tomorrow I am going to try SS317L stainless steel as well - where a setting of 10 should work (coefficient = 0.00094).
Wow. That's really useful information. I think I just may have to buy another mod. Wait.....I didn't want to buy one right now. You Sir are a sabateur (of my budget) and I couldn't be happier. :)

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal

Great report :)

When you torch it, be very gentle and quick. Just heat up the coil enough so that it stays together. Watch the wire's color. I would even suggest you making a sacrificial coil and then gradually torching it more and more so you learn where your limit is. It will first turn yellow/gold, then blue, purple and finally dull light grey. you don't want to torch it to light grey :)

SotosB

May 25, 2015

Is it Grade 1 Titanium that you used? I've seen Titanium alloy but it's resistance is far from grade1 Ti. And it's coefficient I suppose. I'm waiting for my Infinite 60W and I want to get into Ti as soon as it arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread