The Simpsons Cartoon attacking Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
It doesn't bother me that the Simpson's did this because I agree it is satire, but I saw another show where they had the bad guy vaping like how the vilified smoking the same way. It really ...... me off, and I felt really offended by it. I forget which show it was. Maybe criminal minds or castle or something. Anyway that really got to me.
Yeah, big difference between that and the Simpsons. I think that may be networks trying to get around the rating that smoking on screen gives them.

granolaboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Skidegate, BC, Canada
granolaboy.net
This wasn't the first time they've parodied vaping either.

In a previous episode, Marge's sisters come to stay at the Simpson household, but aren't allowed to smoke inside, so they try e-cigarettes (and find them quite unsatisfactory).

giphy.gif

Reactions: Lessifer

Das Auto

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2015
Pacific NW, USA
The show is satire, yes. The topics they cover are pretty much anything in the news that's worthy of satire. However, what I feel the OP was trying to highlight is how these types of images, that portray "vaping", are very accurate!
Think about Cigarette and malt beverage advertisements in the 90's and earlier? Where were they located? At eye level of children in EVERY convenience store! Now they sell Vape flavors = Bubble Gum, Watermelon Dream, etc. right at the counter of Convenience stores in almost any town in America. The similarities are quite obvious. And when mainstream culture starts to air scenes such as these it means there is/will be lots *more* focus coming onto vaping, and likely to be in a negative way! Parents don't want to think about there children smoking (of ANY kind, vaping including), and when Parents see these episodes, they will naturally appeal to parents sense of "Protecting" their children. Then the bans start!

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
It doesn't bother me that the Simpson's did this because I agree it is satire, but I saw another show where they had the bad guy vaping like how the vilified smoking the same way. It really ...... me off, and I felt really offended by it. I forget which show it was. Maybe criminal minds or castle or something. Anyway that really got to me.
I haven't seen vaping on Castle, but I've come up with a scenario for it, namely, Martha picking it up so she can shmooze with the "non-smoking" group at the theaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread