Kayfun LITE - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Andria you might want to try one of these heat sinks.
It will add fins to the bottom of your KFL and is a 22mm diameter spacer that should keep juice off of your istick.
Find the Atomizer Cooling Fin Online Here - Viper Vape
hcigar_heatfins__83488.1419885485.600.600.png

fasttech has some as well, but I guess the quality of the threads on theirs are hit or miss.

Reactions: Sunray

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Where do I get a Ming, from Fasttech here? $1.78 Hybrid Ming Vase Drip Tip at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And pardon the silly question, what is a hybrid drip tip?

I got mine at MadVapes -- though I got mine in the store near us, rather than online -- I was already awaiting my pink genii, so I wanted a good drip tip ASAP. They call them "dynasty" but they're Ming everywhere else -- they're also pretty large, as you can see from that pic I posted up there, the one on the black kayfun. I could taste so much more, the minute I switched it for the short straight one, just an amazing difference. I also have one of of those in "gun metal" (black chromed stainless) on my gold kayfun. Outstanding vape from those driptips. Both the chromed stainless and the anodized will get pleasantly warm, but never hot.

Andria

ETA: "hybrid" is like stainless-and-acrylic, or copper-and-glass, or something along those lines -- got a couple of those, but they're too wide-bore for me.

Reactions: TrollDragon

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
I found a possible source for the whistling sound in some of my kayfuns. The air flow screw had some sharp edges and burs at the very tip. Polished the tip with some fine sand paper and the whistling sound went down considerably. Polishing inside of the air hole with a diamond tip will also help. Same goes for aligning the air hole on the base with the hole on the center post.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
I found a possible source for the whistling sound in some of my kayfuns. The air flow screw had some sharp edges and burs at the very tip. Polished the tip with some fine sand paper and the whistling sound went down considerably. Polishing inside of the air hole with a diamond tip will also help. Same goes for aligning the air hole on the base with the hole on the center post.
When the KFL Pluses were first released, whistling was a common problem. It was discovered by some KFL PLus enthusiasts that rounding over the tip of the AFC screw helped dramatically.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
When the KFL Pluses were first released, whistling was a common problem. It was discovered by some KFL PLus enthusiasts that rounding over the tip of the AFC screw helped dramatically.

Was it mentioned anywhere in this or the old thread? Too bad I had to re-invent the wheel when someone could have mentioned the solution months ago when I asked .... right here in this particular thread.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Was it mentioned anywhere in this or the old thread? Too bad I had to re-invent the wheel when someone could have mentioned the solution months ago when I asked .... right here in this particular thread.
Indeed it was. Several times over. And I certainly would have mentioned it to you if I saw when you had asked. Oh well, you got it figured out. Some even chamfered the air hole on the side of the base. Just a touch.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Indeed I did ask, but the only answer I got was from HB recommending a piece of wax paper in the air hole :). Unlikely as it was, it did help a bit though. Anyway I was feeling like a genius until you mentioned I am late to the party. Altogether though I am happy I can now enjoy my vape in relative silence...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bronze

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Just when I thought I was out... they pulled me back in!

CAM01249.jpg

So I was going through all my unused vape gear and decided to get rid of my spare kayfun parts since my Kayfuns are so neglected these days. Figured I'd pass my kayfuns along to my sister or someone else. Posted the add for the parts, cleaned up all my kayfuns and was preparing to box them up when I got the sudden urge to build one.

Threw on a 1.2 ohm 28g 2mm ID coil wicked with some cotton pad, loaded the tank with Cuttwood's monster melons and cranked the power down to 15W and took a Mouth-to-lung vape. Pure bliss! How I missed kayfuns! At 15W I'm just as satisfied as I am with an orchid or goblin at 35+ watts and the flavor is significantly better.

This isn't the first time I've reverted back to Kayfuns from other RTAs but every time I do I'm always surprised by the flavor difference and how much performance you can get for so few watts. I still have no clue what makes the Kayfun so special for flavor, I've tried the vast majority of RTAs out there with the exception of the Rose V2 and the Erl and IMHO nothing comes close to touching the Kayfun Lite (although I do hear amazing things about the Rose V2!)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA

So I was going through all my unused vape gear and decided to get rid of my spare kayfun parts since my Kayfuns are so neglected these days. Figured I'd pass my kayfuns along to my sister or someone else. Posted the add for the parts, cleaned up all my kayfuns and was preparing to store them away when I got the sudden urge to build one.

Threw on a 1.2 ohm 28g 2mm ID coil wicked with some cotton pad, loaded the tank with Cuttwood's monster melons and cranked the power down to 15W and took a Mouth-to-lung vape. Pure bliss! How I missed kayfuns! At 15W I'm just as satisfied as I am with an orchid or goblin at 35+ watts and the flavor is significantly better.

This isn't the first time I've reverted back to Kayfuns from other RTAs but every time I do I'm always surprised by the flavor difference and how much performance you can get for so few watts. I still have no clue what makes the Kayfun so special for flavor, I've tried the vast majority of RTAs out there with the exception of the Rose V2 and the Erl and IMHO nothing comes close to touching the Kayfun Lite (although I do hear amazing things about the Rose V2!)

I think it's the shape of the top part of the chimney, it makes sort of like a dome inside; the magma has an actual dome shape inside the top cap, and it also produces magnificent flavor.

Andria

ErnieKim

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2014
venice florida
Uncle,
Great Quote, Love it!

I'm with you all the way. I used to use only Kayfuns. Then other manufacturers started making little changes to the design to get more air flow, bigger juice holes, bigger tubes etc.. They kept going a little more, and a little more, and now they're to the point where the modifications have gone so far that they leak and loose flavor.

They're kind of chasing their tails now: more air flow, bigger juice holes, more air flow and on and on. They've gotten to the point where they leak no matter how you wick them. Some say they have good flavor but it seems to me that all they really do is burn more juice; higher power, more coils, more volume = increased flavor., but! WAY more juice is burned up.

I just think that they've pushed the design too far. The Kanger Subtank did OK, but I think that's the limit. So I went back to my old Kayfun too, they had it right to begin with in my humble opinion.

Of course I did enlarge the air hole just a wee bit.... Hey, it wouldn't be a hobby if you did nothing to it! :)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: stanleybb50

ErnieKim

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2014
venice florida
Having said all that, I have also switched to 100% VG so I may have to open the juice channels a bit too. So here I go again, but I've learned not to go too far with it.

So, I guess my questions to the experts here are:

1) Which Kayfun authentic has the most air flow, but not too much?
2) Which Kayfun authentic has the biggest juice channels, but not too big?
3) Which Kayfun authentic has best coil wire capturing design? The old eye-hand coordination ain't what it used to be.

I think/hope you're going to say the Svoemesto Kayfun Lite Plus V2. If so, where should I buy one?

Sincerely,
ErnieKim

Last edited:

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Indeed I did ask, but the only answer I got was from HB recommending a piece of wax paper in the air hole :). Unlikely as it was, it did help a bit though. Anyway I was feeling like a genius until you mentioned I am late to the party. Altogether though I am happy I can now enjoy my vape in relative silence...
I kind of remember HB talking about the waxed paper. Anytime I see someone complaining about the whistling I will bring up the solution you found for yourself. It's possible I missed your post or sped read it and it didn't sink in. You're still a genius if you figured it out on your own, though. :)

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012

So I was going through all my unused vape gear and decided to get rid of my spare kayfun parts since my Kayfuns are so neglected these days. Figured I'd pass my kayfuns along to my sister or someone else. Posted the add for the parts, cleaned up all my kayfuns and was preparing to box them up when I got the sudden urge to build one.

I was just talking about the Kayfun last night on another thread. Here's the deal. There hasn't been a tank atomizer released since the Kayfun was introduced that hasn't copied at least a portion of the Kayfun design. Additionally, even drippers have copied from the Kayfun (the direct-to-coil airflow). Most everything these days is a modified Kayfun to one extent or the other. Some of these modifications are worthy for different segments of the market. But make no mistake, the Kayfun lives and breathes in just about every atomizer available today.

It's pretty much all we have to know.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Having said all that, I have also switched to 100% VG so I may have to open the juice channels a bit too. So here I go again, but I've learned not to go too far with it.

So, I guess my questions to the experts here are:

1) Which Kayfun authentic has the most air flow, but not too much?
2) Which Kayfun authentic has the biggest juice channels, but not too big?
3) Which Kayfun authentic has best coil wire capturing design? The old eye-hand coordination ain't what it used to be.

I think/hope you're going to say the Svoemesto Kayfun Lite Plus V2. If so, where should I buy one?

Sincerely,
ErnieKim
The Kayfun V4 is exactly what you need.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I was just talking about the Kayfun last night on another thread. Here's the deal. There hasn't been a tank atomizer released since the Kayfun was introduced that hasn't copied at least a portion of the Kayfun design. Additionally, even drippers have copied from the Kayfun (the direct-to-coil airflow). Most everything these days is a modified Kayfun to one extent or the other. Some of these modifications are worthy for different segments of the market. But make no mistake, the Kayfun lives and breathes in just about every atomizer available today.

It's pretty much all we have to know.

Maybe having the airflow right under the coil in the Magma is as much a factor as the inner dome-shape of the top cap; that's really the only thing I've tried that vapes anywhere near as well as a Kayfun. Once I got accustomed to the magma, I opened my kayfuns' airflow controls to match it, and now the vape is nearly indistinguishable, between magma and kayfuns.

Andria

Stablemates

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone. I've been lurking for a while and just put together my first Kayfun with parts I got at FT. My rebuildable experience to this point has been with a Lemo Drop. I gotta say, this little rascal is performing wonderfully. I just ordered parts to roll up another.

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
Maybe having the airflow right under the coil in the Magma is as much a factor as the inner dome-shape of the top cap; that's really the only thing I've tried that vapes anywhere near as well as a Kayfun. Once I got accustomed to the magma, I opened my kayfuns' airflow controls to match it, and now the vape is nearly indistinguishable, between magma and kayfuns.

Andria
The direct-to-coil airflow design is a major flavor factor. Make no mistake. Any dripper I purchase must have direct-to-coil airflow. I also hate leaks and this is why I prefer the Achilles and Veritas drippers. They have direct-to-coil and they don't leak.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
The direct-to-coil airflow design is a major flavor factor. Make no mistake. Any dripper I purchase must have direct-to-coil airflow. I also hate leaks and this is why I prefer the Achilles and Veritas drippers. They have direct-to-coil and they don't leak.

I have the Veritas too... it's pretty good, but maybe not quite as good as the Magma for flavor... haven't really tried it out enough to know about the leaking, but it does look like a better design in that regard. If only it had a dome-shape inside the cap, it would probably equal the magma (if not surpass it).

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread