Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Las Vegas NV USA
Last edited:

sdmf74

ECF Veteran
Aug 1, 2013
IOWA
No but thanks I was just placing an order and shipping from SV to the Usa is expensive...
I ordered tempered NI200 29awg last time and it works ok but I want to order something thicker, Has anyone tried the tempered 27awg or thicker NI200 wire???
I am wondering if the large amount of wraps will offset the benefit of thicker wire.

I will just make twisted wire from my remaining tempered 29awg NI200, works great in the lemo 2 so I have to assume 27awg or lower will work.

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    No but thanks I was just placing an order and shipping from SV to the Usa is expensive...
    I ordered tempered NI200 29awg last time and it works ok but I want to order something thicker, Has anyone tried the tempered 27awg or thicker NI200 wire???
    I am wondering if the large amount of wraps will offset the benefit of thicker wire.

I will just make twisted wire from my remaining tempered 29awg NI200, works great in the lemo 2 so I have to assume 27awg or lower will work.
    I use 28 and 30 tempered. If you use the no tracking shipping option, its about $6.00, takes about 5-6 days.
    Still a lot cheaper than Lightning Vapes charges, for 28ga
    LV- $22 per 100ft+shipping
    SV- $13 per 164ft+shipping

Reactions: Phone Guy

ATylerRose

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV USA
    Reactions: dems86

Phone Guy

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2013
    Arlington, Texas - USA

Rikk

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2014
    Utah
    Damn, you'd have to wrap some big ... coils with 27ga. That's why I even stay away from 28ga because I have a hard time getting my coils to fit in my tanks. I guess in a dripper it would work, but I don't drip so couldn't say for sure. I'm really liking 29ga right now and I found 30ga to be ideal when I first started wrapping nickel. And this is all tempered nickel of course. Ordered from SV. I've ordered from SV twice and have been very happy with them.

Reactions: Phone Guy

sdmf74

ECF Veteran
    Aug 1, 2013
    IOWA
    Actually I have been talking to Temco about it since March and I got a response from them yesterday. It seems its a process and takes time because tempered can be 25% 50% 75% or "full hard"
    as they put it. So they have been testing and say that it will be available very soon! They are going to release 28awg at first and then other gauges will follow.
    It kinda sucks that LV beat them to market but Im sure the Temco will sell very well.

ATylerRose

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Las Vegas NV USA
    I went ahead and ordered a 25ft roll of 28g from LV yesterday and I'll just have to wait and see how it compares to SV. It's a $7 investment and should be here by Friday. I didn't have any 28g tempered just 29g, 30g and 32g to twist. I'd much rather have Temco and we need a U.S. Vendor. All in good time I'm sure.

OooHhh 4 "The Love of Vaping"

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    how do you guys remove gunk from your nickel builds? Ive tried switching to wattage mode and dry burn it at 10w but it seems to ruin the coil. also tried torching it but dosent work. It sucks to have to rebuild it every time I change cotton. Please help!
    I lightly brush the coils, with an old toothbrush, under running water. That's only if they're badly gunked, otherwise I just wipe them lightly with a piece of tissue or cotton. I use tempered ni200 though, which is more rigid.

BNEAT

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    Louisville, Kentucky
    how do you guys remove gunk from your nickel builds? Ive tried switching to wattage mode and dry burn it at 10w but it seems to ruin the coil. also tried torching it but dosent work. It sucks to have to rebuild it every time I change cotton. Please help!
    I dry-burn just like I do with Kathal, then wash with heavy duty automotive detergent (like 409 or Fantastic on steroids)...

I'll make sure my wife posts the autopsy report:thumb:

Reactions: KTMRider

KTMRider

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 5, 2014
    NJ

I lightly brush the coils, with an old toothbrush, under running water. That's only if they're badly gunked, otherwise I just wipe them lightly with a piece of tissue or cotton. I use tempered ni200 though, which is more rigid.

I use an old toothbrush too and I use regular ni200.

Magaro

ECF Veteran
    Mar 7, 2015
    Corning, NY, USA
    Playing around with hybrid builds today. Currently have a 28 ga Ni 200 over 26 ga Kanthal A1 Clapton in a Twisted Messes atty on a VS rDNA 40. Six wraps on a 2.5 mm mandrel clocked in at 0.23 ohm. Haven't tried to work out the temperature correction for this, but I've gotta say it really vapes nice. Good clouds, decent flavor and set at 410F the temperature protection doesn't kick in until the wick runs dry, and no detectable char so far. Think I'll try a dual coil build after I play with this one for awhile.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Afcarmona

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 9, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN

Same way I do Kanthal except at a lower wattage. I only use enough wattage for the coil to glow, usually around 7-8 watts and don't put any power to it past just starting to see a glow. Once I start seeing a glow I let go of the power button and place just the coil under running water really quick while it's still hot, the water cools the coil back down while rinsing the build up off the coil. I repeat a few times if needed, dry it off and I'm ready to wick.

taxciter

Jun 21, 2010
    Virginia Beach
    I'm currently using a 1/4" phone jack cleaning brush, similar to a mascara brush. I screw it in and out of the 30 g coil very carefully, and very lightly brush where I can get to the outside of the coil. I use alcohol for a solvent, then rinse with water. I would try a tiny round brass brush if sized right, but don't know if it would work better than the plastic one I'm using.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread