Vaping Zone Concentrated DIY Flavors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
OK, I'm mixing by weight in grams. That gives me consistency, at least, regardless of what is going in the mix.

I've read that (maybe in other flavors) when DIY'ing, we assume that concentrated flavors are 1 gram to the milliliter. That assumption allows us to greatly simplify things. We can always tweak the recipe, which we always do when starting a new recipe.

So, since the VZ SC are so strong, should I assume 1g = 2 ml? That would place them twice as strong in the assumption as other flavors. 3g = 1ml? Three times as strong.

Just looking for a place to start. My order comes in today and I want to mix up a bunch of small samples. Lots of tobacco flavors coming my way. (Other flavors, too.)

Thanks!
-Johntodd

Reactions: Debadoo

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
PS, I'm not saying the 100 drop won't work using VZ ... But make two bottles, and let one steep.
That's the only way you will be able to see the difference.

I mix more than one bottle of juice at a time, so they have no choice but to "sit"
Unless you mix each morning .. for the day, .. even the 100 drop test will "sit"
To me the the 100 drop method was designed to be vaped right away, and is mixed strong enough to have a flavor right off the bat.
Now, .. what happens when you don't get to it right away, and it sits .... time will bring out the flavors (except solo fruits), and with the added time, it's going to be over flavored, maybe to the point of having no flavor.
It's great for people that want to mix and vape, but that's not the way I operate, so it doesn't work for me
The 100 drop method is designed to skip the steeping time, and may be just right for your mixing style.
TFA works great using that method,... just not sure the VZ will .. for me, the VZ flavors are slow to mature.

Last edited:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
So, since the VZ SC are so strong, should I assume 1g = 2 ml? That would place them twice as strong in the assumption as other flavors. 3g = 1ml? Three times as strong.
I have not found VZ's S, SC, or SCG to be that much more concentrated than any other flavoring.
There are a few exceptions in every company, that are overpowering, but in general, I have not found any difference in some of VZ's concentrate's and the same flavor by another company.
Unless you have a few reviews to read and compare, and some feedback on EFC to read, take the claims by the company with a grain of salt :rolleyes: ... you just have to try it for yourself, because what's strong for another maybe weak for you, so you can research all you want, but you won't know for sure until you try it.
There are a few that everyone agrees on, and TFA Caramel Cappuccino is one of them :thumbs:

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
Wow! Got my order yesterday, mixed up 5ml samples for the tobaccos I got, 2 hrs in the crockpot and an overnight rest, and here are the results from me and my wife.

IGO-W, dual coils on cotton cloud, 20watts, unless noted.

Virginia Flu Cured 20w- light, pear/apricot sweetness, light tobacco, smooth.
French Pipe Pipe tasting. Tasty,nice. Sweet. Slight cherry or fruit note. Less fruit than #1.
Seven Star Cannot pick out inidividual flavors! Like reviewers said. Warmer at 20w than previous.
Tab DK-TAB flavor. Very nice. Nutty, Salty, tobacco, slight sweet.
555 Sweet, light, traditional tobacco.
Mild Seven Slightly spicey tobacco. Some complexity. Slight Maple/Chimpo aroma.
Djarum Nice clove cigarette taste! Smooth and slightly sweet.
Honey Flu Mild honey and tobacco, almost even. Smooth, and sweet.

Virginia Flu Cured 20w – woody. Tastes like tobacoo. Smooth
Seven Star Good, tastes sweeter. Different aftertaste. Not as woody as #1. Tobacco.
French Pipe 13w – nuttier, small taste of tobacco.
Tab Tingly in mouth, slight sweet, small tobacco.
555 Full-flavor cigarette.
Mild Seven Tobacco, funny taste on tongue.
Djarum Favorite so far.
Honey Flu Pretty tobaccoy. 13W – unidentifiable flavor in there. 8W- likes it!

All I can say is WOW! I've never had ejuice this good outside Nicoticket. And these are just the straight up flavors, 2 drops into 5ml of VG @3mg Nic.

If this is what they taste like (almost) fresh, then these will be killer after a good steeping!

Thanks!
-Johntodd

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
So, we need a recipe collection strictly for VZ flavors. I went looking and found no such thing, or even single recipes using only VZ flavors.

Since VZ is all I have, I've had to try and adapt other recipes. Here's my first contribution to start this collection off:

Cool Breeze:
27 drop Menthol Ice (VZ SC)
4 grams 100mg Nic
54 ml Vegetable Glycerin
Brings us to 6mg/ml Nic at roughly 2 oz. (60ml) of vapable juice.

I like this, it's a Cool Breeze, not a Blowing Blizzard "freeze your head" type of flavor.

My second recipe is this one, but I have yet to vape it:

John Tab:
55 milliliter Nic Base 6%
60 drop Hangsen TAB (VapingZone)
15 drop Maple
15 drop Pralines and Cream
Steep for 2 hours in a crock pot on Keep Warm. I will test this one starting Friday, since I mixed it up at noon today. Delightful nutty tobacco smell from the bottle. Slightly chemical smell, too, which will subside after more steep time.

And another quickie:

Dark Honey Tobacco Clone (based upon Aroma's DHT)

3 milliliter Honey Flue Cured from 2-drop-5ml tester*.
2 drop Cheesecake.

*My 5ml tester used 2 drops of HFC into 5ml of 3% Nic Base, VG. I only had 3ml left of this when I added 2 drops of cheesecake to it. Vaped it after 2 hours steep, almost nailed Aroma's flavor. Let it sit a few days and it's much smoother.

Your thoughts?
-Johntodd

Last edited:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
So, we need a recipe collection strictly for VZ flavors. I went looking and found no such thing, or even single recipes using only VZ flavors.
Hi Johntodd, great idea.
But ... it would be a big help if you posted your recipes in percentage's
That way, someone can make the test size they want to make ... a 2ml test, or a 120ml test.
A large majority of us use the e-juice-me-up calculator, and you need to enter the % of each flavorings your using so it can come up with a recipe.
You can't enter "drops" or ml's

That said, you mention solo flavors .. there are a lot of VZ flavoring that I like in recipes, that are also good without adding anything else.
Each one of us has our own fussy taste buds, so take it as a suggestion only.
I like these as solos
Cake SCG - Cappuccino SC - Caramel Cream Puff SC ... strong flavor -Chocolate Truffle SCG
Cinnamon Danish C - Coffee Mocha SCG - 1% or (1 drop in 4ml) - Dark Plum SC - Dragon Fruit SC
Melon SC - Sweet Cherry SCG - Vanilla Sponge Cake SCG - Watermelon SCG

A lot of recipes use VZ flavoring, but have another one thrown in there too .. you may have to expand your collection :p
I wish I could find all the GOOD flavorings in one company, but each company has the "best' of just a few flavors.
I tried 5 different company's before I found the strawberry I liked, and that holds true for most of us. We all have flavors from several company's .. it's like trying to find a good juice.
I hope this idea takes off
Thanks

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
How can I convert drop to %?

Since the VZ SC testers I made were 2 drops in 5ml, I just scaled up from there and tweaked the drops to make the final recipe. How to convert?
And I vaped some of John's Tab last night. It is delicious already!
Okay, here we go ... :p This is for the "drop" method for making smaller test batches. Larger size bottles are mixed differently, since your not going to count out 300 drops here, and 250 there. :w00t:

Everyone has their own way of measuring and different "tools" they use to measure with .. this is the way I do it.
First, You have to find out how many drops per ml you get of the PG/nic, the plain PG, the Flavoring, and the plain VG, unless your nic is in VG, in which case you would count the drops per mil of the VG/nic base, the plain VG, the Flavoring, and the plain PG.
To do this, you have to decide what you going to use as a container to always drop from ... eyedropper, squeeze bottle etc, and that will be what you always use so your count will be consistent.
Count the drops it takes to make 1ml, (of each one separately ) and write it down.

Next, you need to pick out a calculator you like. A good one is the e-juice-me-up.
http://ejuice.breaktru.com/ Simple, and comes with a bunch of recipes, plus you can add your own.
You will be using it to create a recipe with the information you enter ... you can also "tweak' the recipes, changing the percentages of everything in it, just by changing the numbers.
I always print the recipe out, then I know what, and how much I used of everything in it.
I keep that until I vape the juice, and then I make all kinds of notes on it for the next time I want to make ... or adjust it.

There's a little trick to using the e-juice-me-up calculator ...
It only gives you one little box to enter your drop count in.:( It really needs a box for each.
So, I use that to put my nic base count in. ... then after I print it out, I change it three times to match the count of each the PG ..VG..and the Flavoring count. I re-calculate each one, and then I cross off the count on the printed sheet, and write in the correct one.
I do this because my counts for each vary so much. I get 28 for the PG/nic, 23 for the plain PG, 18 for the VG, and 32 for the flavoring. It sounds complicated but it's super fast and simple.
That's the only way I know my recipe is correct according to the drops per ml count.

Now, in your case, I played with the numbers (in reverse) until it told me to add 2 drops of flavoring (for 5ml). With my drops per ml count, it came out 1%. If I told it to add 2%, it told me to add 3 drops.
So DarthEmma and I both agree you used 1% of flavoring in your 5 ml's of base.
But I'm not smart enough in math to do it DE's way :lol: ... I let the calculator do it for me.

In any case you will need a calculator someday, unless you keep making 5ml at a time with the drop method, besides they call for % when entering the ingredients, so check some of the different calculators out.
It's almost impossible to create a recipe with more than one flavor without using a calculator, let alone getting it to turn out tasting the same each time.

Hope one of us helped you ... have fun

Johntodd

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2011
USA
OK, I have been testing "John's TAB". It is very nice, but ...

Plenty of flavor, but it's very smooth. It's a little too smooth. It needs something to make it POP.

I'm a total newb to DIY and this is my first real "recipe" with more than one ingredient.

What can I add to make it 'POP'?

Thanks!
-Johntodd

EDIT:
I need the "anchovies" of e-juice. I'm a cook, so I've learned that many restaurant use anchovies all the time in their sauces - it makes things POP and makes them more savory, but they don't use enough for you to taste anchovy.

What is the anchovy of e-juice?
:D

DarthEmma

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
Ohio
I've heard some people say they use a tiny amount of ACETYL PYRAZINE to make juices pop. Don't use too much though or your juice will taste like Fritos chips.

Or some people use lemon flavor.

I sometimes use Malt flavor to make my flavors have that extra little something. (I use NF Organic Malt Flavor Extract that I get from High Desert Vapes.)

It really depends on the flavor... if it's fruits then I think lemon works well... if they are bakery flavors then I like the malt.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
It's a primary tobacco (TAB) with Maple and Pralines and Cream.

I'm thinking a touch of ACV.

Anyone?
Jup. (wow, just realized I got sidetracked and never finished this and posted it, so may be totally obsolete now) but ....... I would say try 2-3 drops per 10 ml and maybe go up a bit from there if that's not enough

Reactions: Johntodd

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
I know a lot of folks that use apple cider vinegar, .
They each change the PH of the juice in an different way.
Lemon juice for the fruits. (yup, that little yellow guy in the plastic lemon from the store.)
Apple Cider Vinegar for the tobaccos, and "darks" like chocolate
Either one, I use about a drop per 2-3ml. You don't taste them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread