Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Received the Tobeco KF4 clone 2 days ago, but last night the base locked on to the body, and I can not separate them. Help?!?

Watch Phil Busardo's video--he demonstrates the procedure. You can use a tiny screwdriver or a thumbtack.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
If the bottom cap won't turn, loosen the center contact screw a turn or so and try again. If that doesn't loosen it, use a small allen wrench in an air hole for leverage while turning the bottom cap. It will come loose.

Once you get it loose, add a drop of juice on the exposed o-rings every time you have it apart. They stick when they are dry.

AntC

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I tried to find an answer in this thread but there are ALOT of posts to go through. I'm wondering if there's a certain KF4 clone that is viewed by most (or all) to be better than the rest? I'd rather pay more to get better quality, just want a good clone. The people here on this thread seem to really know their stuff on this atty. Oh BTW I'm wanting this for nickel builds, if that matters. Thank you in advance, if anybody replies and has input.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
I tried to find an answer in this thread but there are ALOT of posts to go through. I'm wondering if there's a certain KF4 clone that is viewed by most (or all) to be better than the rest? I'd rather pay more to get better quality, just want a good clone. The people here on this thread seem to really know their stuff on this atty. Oh BTW I'm wanting this for nickel builds, if that matters. Thank you in advance, if anybody replies and has input.
Tobeco is one of the better clones. Some like the Infinite too. I got 2 Tobecos early on and they worked great. A few of us recently bought Tobecos from a blow out sale from Vapor Range (out of stock now) for $9.95 ea shipped and they seem to be better than the first batch. I think most clones are sorted out now so you can't go wrong with any of them. You might need to replace the #16 o-ring on some (12x1.5mm o-ring).

I should mention that one of the recent Tobeco KFv4 didn't come with the chimney o-ring (#36) but I had spares.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
My opinion is the Tobeco. I have 3 and they are PeRfEcT

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
You might need to replace the #16 o-ring on some (12x1.5mm o-ring).

What exactly is the problem with the #16 o-ring? How would I know if I need to replace it?

Having said that, my K4 Tobeco clone is a vaping dream come true. It's quickly become my favorite.

And now I have a question to y'all about coil building: do you prefer spaced coils or micro (touching) coils for your Kayfuns--I'm using kanthal wire.

doofy666

Dec 31, 2014
Wales, UK
What exactly is the problem with the #16 o-ring? How would I know if I need to replace it?

If you don't get leaks from the bottom then #16 is fine. The problem in some clones is that #16 sits too deep so doesn't make a decent seal. Hence recommendations to use an over sized one that sits prouder.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ

Having said that, my K4 Tobeco clone is a vaping dream come true. It's quickly become my favorite.

And now I have a question to y'all about coil building: do you prefer spaced coils or micro (touching) coils for your Kayfuns--I'm using kanthal wire.
What doofy said. If you get juice between #3 and #17, the #16 oring will help. I don't think it's necessary anymore though.

The KF v4 is my favorite. I have 7 and that's all I use. I'm using spaced coils because I use Ni200. Micro coils should be fine for kanthal.

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
I have had a few micro coils in the Infinite, last one was a twisted 28g and 0.5mm ribbon providing excellent flavor. Cleaned and rebuilt today with 8 spaced wraps of 26g on 3mm which works out to 1.1Ω so I can run it on the iStick 20W. Wicked with rayon and working like a charm.

VaPreis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO

I've developed a preference for spaced coils for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, they seem to deliver better flavor for the kinds of liquids I prefer. And secondly, time between re-wickings is increased for me.

The downside is that they usually need a little more wattage to come up to temperature as fast as a microcoil.

Current build in my Tobeco is 26ga kanthal, 2.4mm, 8 spaced wraps for 1Ω. I have the 4S kit installed for better airflow and enjoying this one at 22-24 Watts. :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
You can make micros with titanium that work with TC :)

Regards
Tony

Sent from my keyboard through my phone or something like that.

I know... :)

My question is, actually, what are the disadvantages of using spaced coils? I'm a low wattage vaper, MTL, and I've been vaping long enough to remember that we all started with non-touching coils, hand wrapped around a length of silica rope (often with a sewing needle threaded through it for stability :D) or a screwdriver. What exactly was wrong with that method? We used higher resistance wire, smaller coil IDs, and we were happy.

I don't even remember why I switched to microcoils. Probably because everybody was doing it. :facepalm:

Reactions: stanleybb50

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I wrap 3 pieces of 3mm silica with 30g kanthal spread out evenly on my KF4's. Cooking them at 12 watts. I use 100% PG liquids only. I am currently on the 18th refill on 2 of mine with quick cleaning and dry burns every 3 or 4 tank fulls. I use 2 different flavors daily. Loving these!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread