zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

DeathFox

May 6, 2015
This site will help you do "Hat If" scenarios...

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

But you have to have a Way to Check your Ohms when you Physically build a coil.

i dont understand it,
plus i dunno what kind of kanthal it is i got " ud kanthal" i set the wire to kanthal a1, diameter to 24 (guess thats guage?) setup dual coil. target resistance .2 and 3.5 of inner diam and length to 5? and it says 4 wraps and each coil would be 0.4ohms . If this is right i make a 2 5 inch 4 wrap coils on a 4mm bit?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
i dont understand it,
plus i dunno what kind of kanthal it is i got " ud kanthal" i set the wire to kanthal a1, diameter to 24 (guess thats guage?) setup dual coil. target resistance .2 and 3.5 of inner diam and length to 5? and it says 4 wraps and each coil would be 0.4ohms . If this is right i make a 2 5 inch 4 wrap coils on a 4mm bit?

All the various Kanthals have About the same Resistance per gauge.

The Important thing is you DO Need to know what Gauge you have. And that Small Numbered Gauges are Thicker Wire. And Larger Numbered Gauges are Thinner Wire.

I don't worry to much about the Leg Length. 5mm works as an All Around good length.

Anything bigger than a 3.5mm Coil Diameter is kinda big. And might not fit in your Deck very well. Most people use from 2.5mm ~ 3.5mm

Until you get the hang of things, I wouldn't suggest you build anything much lower than .5 Ohms or so.

DeathFox

May 6, 2015
All the various Kanthals have About the same Resistance per gauge.

The Important thing is you DO Need to know what Gauge you have. And that Small Numbered Gauges are Thicker Wire. And Larger Numbered Gauges are Thinner Wire.

I don't worry to much about the Leg Length. 5mm works as an All Around good length.

Anything bigger than a 3.5mm Coil Diameter is kinda big. And might not fit in your Deck very well. Most people use from 2.5mm ~ 3.5mm

Until you get the hang of things, I wouldn't suggest you build anything much lower than .5 Ohms or so.

the guage is 24 i know that, i just wanna know the size of the drill bit and and how many wraps on each coil to build dual coils, so i can go get a drill bit before i get my rda tommrow. for a .5ohm

speedy_r6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 25, 2015
Illinois, US
I just used coiltoy real quick to come up with some ballpark numbers. I personally wouldnt aim for the 0.2 ohm spot, but that is just me.

These are assuming 5mm free length, no spacing, and the number of wraps are for each coil(this is assuming you are doing a dual coil).

1mm drill bit
11 wraps --> 0.2 ohm
29 wraps --> 0.5 ohm

1.5mm drill bit
9 wraps --> 0.2 ohm
22 wraps --> 0.5 ohm

2mm drill bit
7 wraps --> 0.2 ohm
18 wraps --> 0.5 ohm

2.5mm drill bit
6 wraps --> 0.2 ohm
15 wraps --> 0.5 ohm

3mm drill bit
5 wraps --> 0.2 ohm
13 wraps --> 0.5 ohm

Depending on the price, you can probably pick up more than one of the drill bits. I know I got my drill bits on amazon for pretty cheap(under 3 bucks per drill bit). If the store is kind of pricey, I would just say to get a 2.5mm to start with and do 10 wraps per coil. That should put you at roughly 0.3 ohms. As always, be sure to check your build on the ohm meter before you use it.

Reactions: Jbwrecked

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
the guage is 24 i know that, i just wanna know the size of the drill bit and and how many wraps on each coil to build dual coils, so i can go get a drill bit before i get my rda tommrow. for a .5ohm

I would pick up a 3mm (1/8") and a 3.5mm (9/64) Drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread