Status
Not open for further replies.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
It's official now --
Excerpt from the latest addendum to the IATA (i.e. Int'l Air Transport Association) regulations governing carriage of dangerous goods:

- - - - -
Electronic cigarettes including e - cigars and other personal vaporizers containing batteries when carried bypassengers or crew for personal use must be in carry-on baggage only.

Recharging of these devices and/or batteries on board the aircraft is not permitted
andthe passenger/crew member must take measures to prevent accidental
activation.

Spare batteries must be i ndividually protected to prevent short circuits by placement in the original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch, and carried in carry-on baggage only.
In addition, lithium batteries are subject to the following conditions:

(a) each installed or spare battery must not exceed:
1. for lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, a lithium content of not more than 2 g;
or
2. for lithium ion batteries, a watt-hour rating of not more than 100 Wh.

(b)
batteries and cells must be of a type that meets the requirements of the UN Manual of Tests and Crit
eria, Part III, subsection 38.3

- - - - -

Mind you, it's the regs about carriage - each airline is still entitled to tighten the rules.
Also concerns itself only with the carriage. Doesn't say nothin' about allowing you to vape whil in flight. That's still 'house rules' of the airlines. Same with customs at the other end if travelling cross border...

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
1. for lithium metal or lithium alloy batteries, a lithium content of not more than 2 g;
or

(b)
batteries and cells must be of a type that meets the requirements of the UN Manual of Tests and Crit
eria, Part III, subsection 38.3
And the average traveler knows this info. I have to weigh my batts? Wow, what's the lithinum content of 5 erolls and an istick20. Watt-hour rating=no clue.
So this will all be ignored, because the screeners won't know either. Or maybe they will pretend to and take your stuff.
Is this information even available??

Reactions: nicnik

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
or

Naw, weighing won't be necessary.
Rule of thumb - if it's rechargeable, it's lithium ion.
Not sure what your point is.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
This is not an attack on vaping, IMHO.

This is a safety concern over lithium batteries on airplanes. E-cigarettes are mentioned because people often carry loose batteries with them (versus embedded batteries in, say, a laptop). Plus, you have things like mechanical mods that can be accidentally fired while in your baggage, potentially causing the battery to overheat and catch fire. There is some danger in having a high-amperage battery at 37,000 ft.

I haven't traveled much recently, but did travel extensively (by that I mean every other week or so) last year, with a fair amount of that international. Although I did occasionally get pulled out of line for a bag inspection due to my mod looking a bit "suspicious" (especially at London Heathrow, OMG!), actually having the e-cig was never an issue.

Kwtony

ECF Veteran
Nov 18, 2014
Key West
Here is what i was explained by many people working at airports....just dont be a Richard Cranium and start blowing massive clouds all over the place. Most employees apparently go to the bathroom and likely where you should take a hit or two.
There is nearly no reason to make a monster sized cloud anywhere, this attracts negative unwanted attention to yourself. Keep a nice overall demeaner with your actions, be respectful for those around you and dont abuse this. Othewise, you are just asking for problems.

MrAngry

Feb 11, 2015
Plover WI
I just did a fly and drive on a car I picked up down south to flip. No issues whatsoever with my MVP 3, or my Subtank nano. Tossed them in my backpack, powered off but still assembled even.

I even did a changeover at Chicago.

Actually, the cop that stopped me on the way back gave me more flack when he saw it sitting on the passenger seat of the Corvette I was brining back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread