ElevenEleven

ECF Veteran
Jan 5, 2015

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
Those batteries are listed as having:

9. Continuous Discharging Current (Max.): 4.87A (0~ +40°C)

I would take that to mean that they are only able to deliver 4.87 amps continuously and not be anywhere close to safe.

I have a question for ya Speedy. I was looking at charts earlier today for the max wattage/voltage certain resistance atomizers can take before they "burn out". For my istick with the nautilus mini 1.8 ohm atomizer it was saying my max voltage is 3.9V (AKA 8.45 Watts). This means id be pulling 2.1 amps from the battery. The battery has a CDR of 4.87. Seems like theres a lot of wiggle room for the battery there. So should i go by the amount of Amps the battery can safely take to determine where i can safely maximize how much im vaping? Or should i be looking at how much the atomizer can handle according to these charts?

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
Do the easy thing...go to RTD Vapor and buy Sony or AW IMR batteries and a charger. They list the amp ratings, higher is safer.
Thanks for the advice ElConquistador, i will check them out. Im really curious about what i was asking Speedy though. What should i be focusing on; The amount of amps the battery can handle, or how many volts/watts the atomizer can handle? Or both?

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
If anyone hasn't recommended this yet, you might want to check out a blog from a ecf member called Baditude, the blog post is all about battery safety, which batteries you should get and stuff about ohms law, resistances, how they act and such. Sorry for not linking it here, but I can't find the link on my mobile but I'll post it here when I'm on my computer :)

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
If anyone hasn't recommended this yet, you might want to check out a blog from a efc member called Baditude, the blog post is all about battery safety, which batteries you should get and stuff about ohms law, resistances, how they act and such. Sorry for not linking it here, but I can't find the link on my mobile but I'll post it here when I'm on my computer :)

Thank you Lova! I would really love to read that post.

Mden89

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2015
Wahwik, Rhode Island
Thank you everyone for all the help. I think I have enough information to feel comfortable vaping with the sub ohm setup safely. I ended up buying two of the
2 Samsung INR18650-25R 18650 2500mAh 3.6v Rechargeable Flat Top Batteries. I dont need any more power than that to start off. Those have a 20 AMP max and i feel like thats more than enough for me. I cant imagine ill be vaping any higher than 7v with that .5 resistance stock atomizer. That puts me at 14 AMPs.

My only question I have left is how close can i get to the max AMP that the battery can handle while still being safe? 3/4 of the max? 1/2?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I have a question for ya Speedy. I was looking at charts earlier today for the max wattage/voltage certain resistance atomizers can take before they "burn out". For my istick with the nautilus mini 1.8 ohm atomizer it was saying my max voltage is 3.9V (AKA 8.45 Watts). This means id be pulling 2.1 amps from the battery. The battery has a CDR of 4.87. Seems like theres a lot of wiggle room for the battery there. So should i go by the amount of Amps the battery can safely take to determine where i can safely maximize how much im vaping? Or should i be looking at how much the atomizer can handle according to these charts?
This is a very tricky question and I will try to make it simple.

The 2.1 would be at a set voltage of 3.9.
When the battery is full this is fine.

As the battery gets weaker the mod still wants 3.9 but the battery is 3.7 now so the chip actually pulls more amperage from the battery and turns it into voltage .

Depending on how efficient ( or not) the chip is it could end up asking for more then that battery can deliver.

The other question- I usually go to 75 -80% of a cells rating, some people say 50%

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
Thank you everyone for all the help. I think I have enough information to feel comfortable vaping with the sub ohm setup safely. I ended up buying two of the
2 Samsung INR18650-25R 18650 2500mAh 3.6v Rechargeable Flat Top Batteries. I dont need any more power than that to start off. Those have a 20 AMP max and i feel like thats more than enough for me. I cant imagine ill be vaping any higher than 7v with that .5 resistance stock atomizer. That puts me at 14 AMPs.

My only question I have left is how close can i get to the max AMP that the battery can handle while still being safe? 3/4 of the max? 1/2?
Usually leaving a 20-30% headway is concidered safe, but Samsung 25R:s are rated 100A max pulse discharge, so in theory, if you took <1second drags you should be safe with 5-10% headway (16-18A max continuous discharge)

But you shouldn't really look at max pulse discharge when vaping, just the max continuous discharge. I personally use 35A batteries down to 0.15-0.2ohms, so 21A with fully charged (4.2V battery with no voltage drop) with the 0.2ohm build and 28A with 0.15ohm coils.

I suggest you also invest in a good charger,like the Luc V4 or Nitecore I4 or D4 for the batteries as usb charging them on a mod is kinda iffy in my opinion. If you plan on building your own coils, invest in an ohm meter also, those are cheap way to keep your hands intact.

Edit: Corrected specs

Last edited:

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
Holdit

Where you getting 100 amps from?
Samsungs official spec sheet for the Samsung 25R Max Pulse Discharge rating.

443332a6dc8716817f63c11d0515f492.jpg

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Less then 1 second..............

That should never ever ever have anything to do with a conversation around vaping.

The Samsung inr is used in cordless tool powerpacks and this is a trigger buffer so the cell is not damaged in the time it takes for the power pack overload switch to activate in a situation like the tool is jammed or overheating.

That is just for an unavoidable spike. There is no way it can continually sustain that type of abuse.

I went and dl'd the PDF, so I believe you.

No offense, I want happy, healthy and safe vapors so I had to ask;)

Carry on with the regularly scheduled thread

Reactions: Mooch

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
Less then 1 second..............

That should never ever ever have anything to do with a conversation around vaping.

The Samsung inr is used in cordless tool powerpacks and this is a trigger buffer so the cell is not damaged in the time it takes for the power pack overload switch to activate in a situation like the tool is jammed or overheating.

That is just for an unavoidable spike. There is no way it can continually sustain that type of abuse.

I went and dl'd the PDF, so I believe you.

No offense, I want happy, healthy and safe vapors so I had to ask;)

Carry on with the regularly scheduled thread
And that is pretty much exactly what I said in my comment which mentioned the 100A max pulse rating. And none taken, I just mentioned it and added that it should not be used with vaping.

Vape safe and vape on everyone!

Reactions: Mooch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread