Orfun or Kaychid v4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmeinder

Nov 12, 2014
Alberta, CA
So I got pretty sick of my KF4 clone resistance issues and fiddliness.... Also not a big fan of the vape.
I had a spare orchid v4 base, and thought hmmmmm.... Measurements look pretty close, let's give it a try.... And wholly crap!

No leaks, no dry hits, and the absolute best flavour compared to squape reloaded, aqua v2, orchid v4, subtank mini, and as said.... The KF v4 base itself.

I absolutely love this thing! Hope this post is useful to others wanting to frankentank.... Haha

f8fd0955fb475898de0b6402c080a306.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Haha,i was thinking of those same names just the other day.I seen a post a while back of an orchid base,kayfun v4 chamber part,and a kayfun bell cap.When i seen it,i ordered the parts to build it,so i have thinking of what to call it.Glad to hear the flavor is still good with that base,and especially that it's not leaking,that was my big concern was whether that chamber would create a good seal on the orchid base since the chamber has holes in it.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I use the kf4 chamber with an orchid base and a bell cap, it's the best tank I have
proxy.php
Yep,you are the one who inspired me to do the same haha.i ordered all the parts from fasttech,but the chamber was on back order,so they shipped the orchid base and bell cap and i got those,but they just shipped the chamber out yesterday so i have a while yet.I may steal the one off my kayfun just to run through a tank on this setup so i know what to expect haha.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
To clarify, I'm not doubting this works, but can anyone explain in a bit more detail how the orchid base mates up to the kayfun chamber? I'm still not understanding how this setup works, the KF4 chimney is smooth with an o-ring and the orchid has threads, do you have to use the orchid chimney inside the kayfun chamber or something like that?

Does this retain the ability to remove the build deck without emptying the tank? And is there any reason you couldn't use the KF4's stock top fill design? if using the full KF4 tank setup?

Thanks for sharing, I've seen these hybrid setups posted before and I've always been curious how they work.

Last edited:

doofy666

Dec 31, 2014
Wales, UK
The K4 tank section screws onto another atty's base in exactly the same way as it screws onto the K4's base. The "chimney" (evaporation chamber) is threaded and all else follows.

With a hybrid you get access to the build deck on demand. As with the K4, the whole tank simply unscrews.

Top filling on the K4 works in conjunction with juice control. With no juice control, I'd expect a leak/flood when filling so have never tried it.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Ah the loss of top filling makes sense now, thanks! Although I'm still confused about how the chamber and chimney area match up. On the KF4 there is a tiny sleeve that screws over the threads on the KF4 build deck area, and then right below that is the o-ring on the juice control. My question I guess is how does the Orchid build deck area seal against the inside of the chimney, since the orchid just has exposed threads where as the KF4 build area has the sleeve and o-ring? Do you also have to use the KF4 chimney/sleeve over the orchid threads before inserting into the KF4 Chamber?

I'm sure once I understand I'll feel like a dummy for not getting it before, I'm just having a hard time visualizing it all.

Thanks for your patience ;)

vapero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 13, 2013
monterrey,mexico
Ah the loss of top filling makes sense now, thanks! Although I'm still confused about how the chamber and chimney area match up. On the KF4 there is a tiny sleeve that screws over the threads on the KF4 build deck area, and then right below that is the o-ring on the juice control. My question I guess is how does the Orchid build deck area seal against the inside of the chimney, since the orchid just has exposed threads where as the KF4 build area has the sleeve and o-ring? Do you also have to use the KF4 chimney/sleeve over the orchid threads before inserting into the KF4 Chamber?

I'm sure once I understand I'll feel like a dummy for not getting it before, I'm just having a hard time visualizing it all.

The orchid deck does have threads but you don't use them with the kf4 chamber. The chamber threads thread onto the orchids base threads... There is a small tolerance between the threaded orchid deck and the smooth kf4 chamber that makes it work perfectly

Reactions: UncleChuck

tehmidcap

Verified Member
Mar 13, 2015
PA

You're talking about the congestion ring in kf4 terms. You don't need that with hybrid setups -- you don't even REALLY need it with with stock kf4.

With hybrid setups the easiest fill method is through the evap chamber ala the Aqua v2... But you CAN still top fill (you just have to close airflow or hold your fingers over the holes. You still get very minor leakage but not much more than an ordinary kayfun 4.

Reactions: UncleChuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread