Box mod: Sigelei mini 30w, iPV Mini 30w, or ZNA 50w?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
Hi guys,
Coming from variable wattage tube mods (vamo, svd), I am thinking of getting a box mod after posting questions on this board. Which one would you think the best choice out of these 3 mods? sigelei mini 30w, iPV Mini 30w, or ZNA 50w? I am leaning on the sigelei Mini 30W base on price. Or does anyone know anything better out there? Price does matter to me, and I like to use my 18650 instead of fixed battery type.

Additional questions:
- do these box mods have circuit protection from short circuit, too low of the atomizer resistance?
- can it read atomizer ohm? battery's voltage?

Adittional info:
- I plan on keep using my old 18650 batteries: PD, PF, CH, and couple B.
- and also keep using my genesis RSST and Kraken 2.5ml. I love the kraken 10ml, but it's width is 28mm while the mod's width is only 22mm-24mm

On kanthal, I have been using 32ga and plan on changing to 28ga on ss cable wire and ss mesh.

$45.84 ZNA 50 Style Variable Wattage APV Mod - 7W-50W / 1*18500 or 1*18650 / stainless steel + aluminum at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$39.99 Authentic Sigelei Mini 30W VW Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - 5.0-30W / 1*18650 / aluminum alloy / black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$49.01 Authentic Pioneer4You iPV Mini 5-30W Variable Wattage APV Box Mod - aluminum alloy / 1*18650 / gold at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Thank you, and sorry for too many questions.

orion7319

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
All of these mods should have short circuit protection, and they won't fire if the ohms are to low for what they are specked to fire and they can all read the ohms (how reliable are the readings they give should be the question you are asking). The fastteck ZNA clone you have linked to, I have no idea how good that would be, some clones can be great, some not so much. I know there is one particular ZNA clone that people say is great... Don't think that ones it though. Most people who own the Sigelei really like them. I don't own one as some people are having issues with the threading on the 510 connection wearing out, which is the only issue I have ever heard about from them. I own an IPV mini 30 watt myself and I really like it. It's very heavy though, but that's because it's built like a tank. I have taken mine completely apart and it's very solid and smartly designed. All the internal electrical connections are very sound, none of the components on the inside should come loose very easily and it's very well put together. It's a mod that I feel comfortable surviving accidental drops and I haven't had any issues whatsoever with it. The only negative with it is the screw in battery cap. It's the most flimsy part of the mod, and it can be difficult at times to screw into the base. I tend to be careful with it because I don't want to mess up the threads. I charge my battery with the mod itself, so I don't really worry about it that much to be honest. As far as the batteries I've only got the 18650 flat tops so I can't help you there.

ChuckB

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Uvalde, Texas
Of the one's you list I have the Segelei mini 30w. I've only had it about a month now, so can't really address long term on it, but so far I really like it. I've been using it daily all with the same tank and juice and it's been flawless. It does require flat top batteries, button tops don't fit. I have read about issues with the threading on this device and quite a few others out there, my solution on all of my mods has been to put one of these: Tank Airflow Controller on the mod before I ever use it. That becomes married to that mod and never comes off.

When I purchased my Segelei I also purchased two matching batteries. The way I look at it that makes it a kit. Those two batteries are for that mod and I don't use them on any of the others. I do have other batteries that would work, but to get the most out of the mod I want to use the best batteries for that mod and I want to keep them with that mod. I try to keep batteries with the mods that they were purchased for. I have a few Volcano LavaTubes and matching batteries for them and a couple of button top high drain batteries that are for my mech mods exclusively.

The Segelei can charge the battery internally, but I've not used that feature. I'd prefer to swap batteries and use an external charger. It also came with a plastic sleeve but I don't use it.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I would choose the Sigelei or ipv. Both use the Yihi sx130 chip, so form factor is probably the deciding factor over which one. You can definitely find the Sig here in the US, and for less money. Check Fluidvapes, 101vape and Vaporrange.

Yes, the 510 threads can be a weak point on both. The more you are unscrewing/screwing on attys, the more likely you are to wear them out. Adding a heatsink can help protect them.

I think I saw the ipv mini2 at Vaporrange for a really good price? You might consider that one instead. It does have an sx330 chip, which is better than the sx130.

rnln

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2013
SCal
Thanks for all inputs.

Wow, Vaporrange.com has Seiglei 30w for cheaper than fasttech. I always thought Fasttech was the cheapest. Look like many things have changed in only several months. Anyone know any other sites I can check?

Wait, I should also ask about kathal. I currently use 32ga and want ot try 28ga. Is there anything else better than kathal, health should be the primary factor to consider.

Thanks again.

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
Love my 2 Sig Minis, they replaced my Vamo v7. My first one had thread issues but it was because the 510 was too high. My newer one is perfect though.

As for the wire gauge, it depends on your atty and your vape preference. I use 29 in my Kayfuns but 26 in my drippers. 32 I used in my old Protank heads but the resistance is just too high for how I like to vape now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread