Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
I just had a look at that list... not one of the DX flavors are on it. :(

Andria

Andria, I'm guessing the DX flavorings aren't on there because they're relatively new. You've been working with them - you have recommendations? I really haven't worked with the DX goodies (although my recent haul included a few) I would think they'd be pretty close (maybe 1% higher) than the non-DX?

Reactions: Slots

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Andria, I'm guessing the DX flavorings aren't on there because they're relatively new. You've been working with them - you have recommendations? I really haven't worked with the DX goodies (although my recent haul included a few) I would think they'd be pretty close (maybe 1% higher) than the non-DX?

I haven't tried too many, actually, and I've never tried the non-DX version of any of them, so I can't compare them. I do know that the DX Bavarian, used in the background cream/vanilla/sweetener mix, is very good, up to maybe 6.5%; after that, it's not terribly good, and I wouldn't think it would be too good as a stand-alone. I don't know how that would compare to using the regular Bavarian.

I find that a mix of the DX Bavarian with Vanilla Swirl, makes quite a "custardy" flavor, for those who really love that flavor but, like me, would rather avoid diketones. Might need a bit of sweetener too, of course, being TFA flavors -- it's good that one can customize a flavor so precisely with TFA flavors, being single-flavor notes, rather than a flavor+sweetener -- people do seem to vary quite widely on how sweet they like things.

I haven't yet gotten a good "read" on the DX Banana Cream; I was trying out that recipe with mixing some of that into the Cream Fantastico, and the results were... hmm. Uncertain? At first mix, not great, but not terrible either. It does seem "banana-ish" and didn't seem to have any kind of unpleasant whang, as some diketone-free flavors sometimes do.

The DX Cinnamon Danish seems to have a lot of acetyl pyrazine in it; that seemed the primary taste to me, even overwhelming the "cinnamon-ish" taste. I recently got some of TFA's Cinnamon Spice, to see if it was more bakery or aldehyde cinnamon; anyone know? I've started finding the aldehyde cinnamon unpleasantly metallic tasting, no matter how small a fraction of a percent I use, so I'm hoping the Cinnamon Spice really is spice, and not cinnemaldehyde. If that's the right flavor, it might improve the DX Cinnamon Danish considerably.

So far those are the only "DX" ones I've tried. I think there's a caramel DX flavor, but as I've noted before, not a huge fan of caramel, to me it just tastes like burnt sugar, so I'm really not any kind of judge of anything caramel-ish.

Andria

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
I recently got some of TFA's Cinnamon Spice, to see if it was more bakery or aldehyde cinnamon; anyone know? I've started finding the aldehyde cinnamon unpleasantly metallic tasting, no matter how small a fraction of a percent I use, so I'm hoping the Cinnamon Spice really is spice, and not cinnemaldehyde. If that's the right flavor, it might improve the DX Cinnamon Danish considerably.
I have the cinnamon spice as well,but like you haven't tried it yet.From what i've read about it,it is supposed to be more of bakery spice type flavor where as the other cinnamon they have is more of a mild red hot type cinnamon.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I have the cinnamon spice as well,but like you haven't tried it yet.From what i've read about it,it is supposed to be more of bakery spice type flavor where as the other cinnamon they have is more of a mild red hot type cinnamon.

Excellent news. I've just been doing my usual procrastination thing, but now maybe I'll get motivated to try some of that. :)

Andria

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Would steeping cause the alcohol taste to go away? Or do I use a much smaller amount of flavorings with ethyl alcohol?
Let your finished mix breathe for a while with the cap off,and the alchohol will start to evaporate out.

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Awesome, thanks.... I guess no one has used the tart granny Smith Apple flavor yet? No % by it. Im having a hard time with it because it has ethyl alcohol in it and it seems to be all I taste even at 2%
Anyone used this particular flavor?

I use the Granny apple in my caramel apple recipe.

Caramel Candy Apple (21%)

Granny Smith Apple - 6%
Cotton Candy - 5%
Caramel Candy - 4%
Caramel Extra - 3%
Bavarian Cream - 3%

The Creams, caramels and sweeteners work well together to soften the Granny Smith so that it doesn't stand out too much, but blends into the delicious treat I enjoyed as a kid, but without the fear of losing my teeth (now). A pleasant vape. Sweeten and "cream" to taste. A slight bit of vanilla (1 - 2%) would also move it along nicely. I would try the vanilla swirl. It's the caramel and granny smith tartness that pull this one across the goal line for me. Enjoy, and Good luck! :toast: :D

:2cool: :vapor:

Reactions: ItTechy

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I haven't tried too many, actually, and I've never tried the non-DX version of any of them, so I can't compare them. I do know that the DX Bavarian, used in the background cream/vanilla/sweetener mix, is very good, up to maybe 6.5%; after that, it's not terribly good, and I wouldn't think it would be too good as a stand-alone. I don't know how that would compare to using the regular Bavarian.

I find that a mix of the DX Bavarian with Vanilla Swirl, makes quite a "custardy" flavor, for those who really love that flavor but, like me, would rather avoid diketones. Might need a bit of sweetener too, of course, being TFA flavors -- it's good that one can customize a flavor so precisely with TFA flavors, being single-flavor notes, rather than a flavor+sweetener -- people do seem to vary quite widely on how sweet they like things.

I haven't yet gotten a good "read" on the DX Banana Cream; I was trying out that recipe with mixing some of that into the Cream Fantastico, and the results were... hmm. Uncertain? At first mix, not great, but not terrible either. It does seem "banana-ish" and didn't seem to have any kind of unpleasant whang, as some diketone-free flavors sometimes do.

The DX Cinnamon Danish seems to have a lot of acetyl pyrazine in it; that seemed the primary taste to me, even overwhelming the "cinnamon-ish" taste. I recently got some of TFA's Cinnamon Spice, to see if it was more bakery or aldehyde cinnamon; anyone know? I've started finding the aldehyde cinnamon unpleasantly metallic tasting, no matter how small a fraction of a percent I use, so I'm hoping the Cinnamon Spice really is spice, and not cinnemaldehyde. If that's the right flavor, it might improve the DX Cinnamon Danish considerably.

So far those are the only "DX" ones I've tried. I think there's a caramel DX flavor, but as I've noted before, not a huge fan of caramel, to me it just tastes like burnt sugar, so I'm really not any kind of judge of anything caramel-ish.

Andria

Regarding the cinnamon question, I prefer the spice over several other TFA cinnamon's. It makes for a nice background cinnamon in a blended HFM recipe, and doesn't kick one in the teeth as the tank cracking cinnamon does. Also, the stronger the cinnamon, the longer the blend time, i.e., breath, blend, aeration, bubble dissipation time. Always add the cinnamon last to the VG blend, to avoid the tank cracker effects of several of the cinnamon's.

The missus went back to the tank cracking cinnamon on her Peach Cobbler from the background cinnamon blends (cinnamon Danish, cinnamon spice, and cinnamon sugar cookie). The background secondary flavoring abilities of these flavorings is outstanding and allow that subtle and unmistakable background cinnamon that is so great in flavorings and ejuice. Apple Jacks is a good example of the background use of the cinnamon sugar cookie and dulce de leche combination that produces a truly magical blend. The flavorings are not necessarily great on their own and they all do require blendings with other primaries and secondaries to work "it" out. Once blended, the magic starts and truly works! Good luck to you! :toast: :D

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Regarding the cinnamon question, I prefer the spice over several other TFA cinnamon's. It makes for a nice background cinnamon in a blended HFM recipe, and doesn't kick one in the teeth as the tank cracking cinnamon does. Also, the stronger the cinnamon, the longer the blend time, i.e., breath, blend, aeration, bubble dissipation time. Always add the cinnamon last to the VG blend, to avoid the tank cracker effects of several of the cinnamon's.

The missus went back to the tank cracking cinnamon on her Peach Cobbler from the background cinnamon blends (cinnamon Danish, cinnamon spice, and cinnamon sugar cookie). The background secondary flavoring abilities of these flavorings is outstanding and allow that subtle and unmistakable background cinnamon that is so great in flavorings and ejuice. Apple Jacks is a good example of the background use of the cinnamon sugar cookie and dulce de leche combination that produces a truly magical blend. The flavorings are not necessarily great on their own and they all do require blendings with other primaries and secondaries to work "it" out. Once blended, the magic starts and truly works! Good luck to you! :toast: :D

Sounds great; exactly what I was looking for! I love the "apple cinnamon" flavor immensely, but since my tastebuds have revolted against the cinnemaldehyde flavor, I haven't been able to achieve anything I like, along those lines, which is why I thought I'd try the Cinnamon Spice. You mentioned adding the cinnamon last to the VG blend -- does that also apply, when there is very little VG present? My mixes are all 84% PG, so I wondered about that.

Thx!!!
Andria

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
This is a copy of #32 of Beard Vapors which is a Cinnamon Churro quite a tasty vape! :thumb:

FW Brown Sugar 2%
TFA Cinnamon Churro 9%
FW Cinnamon Roll 9%
FW Bay Cream 5%
FW Banana Nut Bread 1%

Capellas Super Sweet 2 drops per 30ml (this is personal preference)!

I got this from my son, and I have no idea where he got it from so if it's yours, claim it!
(Frankly he can't remember either...:facepalm:)

:toast: :vapor:

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion

Boy is that the truth!

Dulce de leche by itself...yecch! LOL!

Cinnamon Sugar cookie...very bland!

One Bill didn't mention Sweet Cream.....aka sour milk! (by itself)!

But that's what we have been saying all along...the flavors are all building blocks! :thumb:

:toast: :vapor:

Last edited:
Reactions: john333

ItTechy

Information Tragedy dOOd
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2009
The State of Confusion
{{{{Hugs}}}}, and/ or high fives to b.m.!!!!! Thank you sooooo much for info you gave me on pp cc's, able to use and order online...yay!!!

Huh? Wadda ya say??

LOL

BM' and PC' and PP'...

What's it all mean!

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
{{{{Hugs}}}}, and/ or high fives to b.m.!!!!! Thank you sooooo much for info you gave me on pp cc's, able to use and order online...yay!!!
no problem,glad it worked for ya.i knew mine has always worked,so i figured any with the logo should work as well.I'd be screwed if they didn't work because that's all i have haha.
Huh? Wadda ya say??

LOL

BM' and PC' and PP'...

What's it all mean!
It's an inside thing,ya just wouldn't understand haha.

No,seriuosly,it was about an issue she thought she might have when ordering some stuff,but i told her i do it all the time,and it seems to have worked out for just fine for her too.

Reactions: baseballmom

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
Lol, I hope it works...nt having sale, decide to try it out...pending....fingers crossed, then can use with bcv....I know all my letters, too lazy to type full words, have a great Memorial day guys/gals!

Gotta rework my mom's vanilla recipe, she says tastes like cream of wheat sort of, wants more vanilla and sweetener

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Lol, I hope it works...nt having sale, decide to try it out...pending....fingers crossed, then can use with bcv....I know all my letters, too lazy to type full words, have a great Memorial day guys/gals!

Gotta rework my mom's vanilla recipe, she says tastes like cream of wheat sort of, wants more vanilla and sweetener
Shouldn't be any issue,i've used it at both of those places and never had any issue at either.As long as it has visa/mastercard logo on it,it should register in their system the same as any other would.

Reactions: baseballmom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread