Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
aaahahh Thank you! I haven't read anything about that, until now. I was just told that you don't draw from it, as hard as a regular cig. I will practice this technique, and see how things change. I have cut down soo much on the regular ones. I am excited to ge rid of them all together! So, are you completely done smoking now? Congrats on figuring that one out, to help you along :D

Yep, haven't had a smoke since July 24. Which was actually my 2nd time quitting with e-cigs, due to some major health problems last summer. But that first time, at the end of Feb '14, once I figured out I needed to vape that way *especially* in the morning, to get the nicotine up as fast as possible (I also used some higher-nic juice in the morning for a few months), it solved that morning-smoke problem completely. Once I had been smoke-free for probably 6 months-ish, I realized that I no longer felt that hard compulsion in the morning, so now I don't have to use higher-nic juice or start vaping the instant my feet hit the floor; now it's usually 15-20 mins before I have my first vape, pretty similar to how I smoked -- asthma is always worse in the morning. Because of the morning coughing, I do tend to prefer something with a softer throat hit when I first get up, instead of the huge throat hit I enjoy the rest of the day.

Andria

Reactions: Vannie

Vannie

May 19, 2015
Clifford Pa
Yep, haven't had a smoke since July 24. Which was actually my 2nd time quitting with e-cigs, due to some major health problems last summer. But that first time, at the end of Feb '14, once I figured out I needed to vape that way *especially* in the morning, to get the nicotine up as fast as possible (I also used some higher-nic juice in the morning for a few months), it solved that morning-smoke problem completely. Once I had been smoke-free for probably 6 months-ish, I realized that I no longer felt that hard compulsion in the morning, so now I don't have to use higher-nic juice or start vaping the instant my feet hit the floor; now it's usually 15-20 mins before I have my first vape, pretty similar to how I smoked -- asthma is always worse in the morning. Because of the morning coughing, I do tend to prefer something with a softer throat hit when I first get up, instead of the huge throat hit I enjoy the rest of the day.

Andria
Great :D Congratulations!! The other usual times for smoking, have been pretty easy to replace. I thought my biggest would be, after eating. I am SHOCKED at how easy that one went down! So glad to read, you are smoke free now. I hope you are feeling MUCH better :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Great :D Congratulations!! The other usual times for smoking, have been pretty easy to replace. I thought my biggest would be, after eating. I am SHOCKED at how easy that one went down! So glad to read, you are smoke free now. I hope you are feeling MUCH better :)

Yeah, I can walk twice as far up a hill without getting winded, as I could as a smoker, and most of the time I can even keep up with my ex-Marine husband, walking thru parking lots. :D I'll always have asthma, but I don't have that huge load of crap in my lungs to cough up every morning, and that is a HUGE blessing -- also not waking up sounding like a water pipe, grabbing for the inhaler before my eyes are even open.

I also found those after-meal cigarettes the easiest to replace, which completely shocked me too; but after I eat anything, I find the throat hit AMAZING, and I'm sure that helped a lot. Anytime I start feeling any lack of throat hit, I grab a little snack, and after that, BANG, throat hit is back!

Andria

alopezg1

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Cornwall uk
Hello

Yes i have experience with this . My theory is that it has nothing to do with vaping per se , as in vaping does not cause it , but rather it is a result of stopping smoking . As someone has previously mentioned smoking is not just about nicotine , tobacco is a complex plant. It seems that missing from 'normal' eliquid is the MAOI , which has an anti anxiety effect . You can choose to use WTA and snus if you like , or just keep going and eventually you will re-adjust , but i would look at other ways of coping with your anxiety , definitely , cognitive behavioral therapy can be very helpful as can mindfulness, regular meditation and exercise . You say 'there is no way I'm altering my nicotine level' why are you so adamant about this ? the priority should be staying off the cigs , however you may go about it . It sounds like you are going to fast and putting yourself under too much pressure , two months is nothing really , it's a great achievement but you will need more time to recover and you want to make it as smooth a transition as possible , why jeopardize it by making drastic demands on yourself ?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Hello

Yes i have experience with this . My theory is that it has nothing to do with vaping per se , as in vaping does not cause it , but rather it is a result of stopping smoking . As someone has previously mentioned smoking is not just about nicotine , tobacco is a complex plant. It seems that missing from 'normal' eliquid is the MAOI , which has an anti anxiety effect . You can choose to use WTA and snus if you like , or just keep going and eventually you will re-adjust , but i would look at other ways of coping with your anxiety , definitely , cognitive behavioral therapy can be very helpful as can mindfulness, regular meditation and exercise . You say 'there is no way I'm altering my nicotine level' why are you so adamant about this ? the priority should be staying off the cigs , however you may go about it . It sounds like you are going to fast and putting yourself under too much pressure , two months is nothing really , it's a great achievement but you will need more time to recover and you want to make it as smooth a transition as possible , why jeopardize it by making drastic demands on yourself ?

Exactly right. Pressure is the enemy of anxiety, and the enemy of quitting smoking... if you have anxiety and you're trying to quit smoking, pressure is the VERY LAST way to go about it -- because it just won't work that way. That's exactly why I took my time, and let the switch-over take a full month, both times I did it -- I knew if I did it in any other way, it simply wouldn't work. There does come a point where you have to decide: keep smoking a few a day, or go ahead and switch completely -- but that should only come after you're already down to like 2-3 a day, where doing without those 2 or 3 won't cause any grievous discomfort. The first time, I didn't make the full switch till I had been at ONE a day for 3 straight days... so I knew, if I could get by with just one a day, I could probably also get along just fine without it.

Andria

Reactions: Katmar

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
And I think it's different for everyone, too. Even those of us with anxiety. I quit smoking 6 days after I started vaping. The anxiety didn't hit right away. I think I was so enamored of the fact that I quit, I focused on learning more about vaping and experimenting with different flavors. When the anxiety DID hit, it was hard, fast and strong. I am almost 6 years out, still have the anxiety, but it no longer has me, if you can understand that. In other words, I don't let it rule my life anymore. I accept I have it and move in. It has eased bit by bit and one day I will be no more anxious than a "normal" person.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
And I think it's different for everyone, too. Even those of us with anxiety. I quit smoking 6 days after I started vaping. The anxiety didn't hit right away. I think I was so enamored of the fact that I quit, I focused on learning more about vaping and experimenting with different flavors. When the anxiety DID hit, it was hard, fast and strong. I am almost 6 years out, still have the anxiety, but it no longer has me, if you can understand that. In other words, I don't let it rule my life anymore. I accept I have it and move in. It has eased bit by bit and one day I will be no more anxious than a "normal" person.

One of my absolute worst anxieties is when riding as a passenger in a vehicle. Getting a pickup truck has eased about 95% of that one; I sit up high, I can see all around, I don't feel I'm about to be squashed like a bug by everything from SUV's to semis, and a chevy silverado is pretty sturdy, it would take some serious momentum and/or size to do it much damage.

As far as smoking anxiety, I still have that last open pack in the freezer, which gives me the freedom and security to choose to vape instead... but if that pack wasn't there... well, I probably would have already gone back to smoking, and had to give it up AGAIN. :D

Andria

C0NPAQ

Jun 5, 2015
I'm having serious trouble dealing with the after-effects of quitting. It seems all my muscles have gone permanently tense, as per a normal anxiety issue. The worst part of this is that two months into it now, I've started to get a panic attack from nearly everything. I haven't had a flat out panic attack in years, but now...walking up stairs, going anywhere (including staying in a truck and going through a drive-through lane at the bank), stores, shops, even my therapist...it's all an instant panic attack. It's gotten so bad that all my years of practice have started to give way and I'm sinking into cardiophobia. (i.e. maybe it's not just panic). Has anyone else been through this? Did it end? Ease up? Anything to give me hope...I seriously considering buying a pack this morning.

I have various mental health issues (particularly ADHD, autism, multiple drug addiction) but not axiety disorder. My mother has schizophrenia, so that's maybe something in the background that I have to watch out for.

I quit without substitutes. The first 2 month I was just always tired and everything would be difficult. I did weight lifting, that somewhat kept the blood pressure up, and I was still coping. Then I basically crashed psychologically 2-4 month into it. I would always be afraid and sometimes had panic attacks about minor things. After 3 month I clearly felt that my body was changing, especially blood vessels in the brain. I would get corresponding sensations and anxiety about the changes. I had trouble to concentrate on anything and sleep 12 hours at least per day if not more. This never got better, but only worse, the more I tried to fight it. After 9 month of trying to work, failing all the time, not finishing any projects etc. just doing very simple tasks, I was taking more drastic measures. First I would force myself even more by even less reasonable levels of willpower and persistence. But this effectively implied that I was so overcharged at the problems at hand, that it made me essentially psychotic. And this only created more disorder and exhaustion in my mind and life. Realizing how harmful it was, I then shifted towards using self-prescribed drugs. I started with Modafinil, but it didn't cure the problem at all. Then I tried an array of other nootropics/drugs and finally weighted the disadvantages of this all against using nicotine gum again. When I did this, in combination with other drugs I took at the time, my psyche basically rebooted from zero.

Even month after this experience, I am still essentially recovering from all the psychological changes that I induced prior to falling back to nicotine to force myself to concentrate, in lack of other options at the time. Instead of just using a psychostimulant drug like nicotine, which I deprived myself of, I would for example believe that I was losing my job and couldn't buy food the next month, or even put myself actually into this situation, to pressure myself enough to concentrate on the task. I would create similar doomsday scenarios for much of everything I did to just be able to focus on what I had to do in life. When I was able to concentrate, my blood pressure would go up too high from emotion like worries, anger, survival instinct and whatever I could hold on to that worked and I would get headaches from it. I also had issues with tense, rigid partly cramping muscles, that disappeared after a year or so. I would feel physically sick from pressuring myself and also needed more sleep in direct relation to work I could finish with those methods. I overreacted to everything around me and often of course that was not functional. After the many month of feeling in such extremes as this, it also blunted me quite a lot to respond to serious scenarios at all, since I fooled myself with them just many times too often. I was aware of all of this, but it was just that there weren't any other options available. To concentrate, you need to be able to mobilize cognitive resources. And just natural emotional incentives weren't nearly enough to make much of anything work for me. In fact, they have never been in my entire life. I believed I could somehow make this work. But in the end, everything I learned from all this now only poses an obstacle to function in everyday life. But unrelated to functioning in life, from a perspective of general life wisdom and my own personal worldview, overcoming my smoking withdrawal was the single most comprehensive and difficult problem I tried to solve in the last 10 years. It was so comprehensive, that I couldn't escape to have learned a whole lot about this world and the people in it, from it.

The realilty of things is that I started smoking in my teens and I smoked very very consistently and persistently and never stopped. I chose to be very good at computers and programming, with interests in math and science in general because I could easily follow the content and be productive if I did put the effort into it. Now I realize that I simply wouldn't have been able to do this, if I had not used nicotine from smoking all the time. Hence I would have lived a different life to begin with, because I wouldn't have been able to become the same person.

I even chewed gum in additon to smoking at some points in my life, because it lead to much improvement. The option to quit nicotine and and to keep the life I have grown into at the same time, simply never was there. And I was not willing to accept this. Thus for the major relevant part, I tried the impossible. And as described it also deteriorated my psyche. Because I not only changed a working system, I rewrote the very foundation of it.

Change is good though and so is wisdom and experience. I do not regret this experience at all. But for me it involved quite a lot of agony and quite a lot of failures in life I could have avoided that I am unhappy with. And I am still struggling with the aftermath.

So maybe you are cycling through something similar. Maybe you are not taking enough nicotine. I vape 30-100mg per day, depending on how much I have to concentrate, and also recently started smoking a couple of cigarettes per day again (3-5). Unfortunately I don't know what your particular issue is. You have to discover that for yourself, and draw honest instead of illusory conclusions about it. Maybe it means you want to live without nicotine or without tobacco, maybe it doesn't. Surely living without any drugs is worth a solid attempt.

My particular issue is that I can't ever function in any sane manner without stimulant drugs. From my experiences, I strongly believe that I would actually develop schizophrenic psychosis if I was deprived of functional alternatives for too long. I only have to rely on nicotine in particular, because Ritalin is essentially [names of direclty comparable US schedule I class stimulant drugs not allowed on this forum] in pill form and it is just too addictive and powerful to ever touch again. I tried to abuse nicotine but it is just too displeasant and not powerful enough on the long run.

Anyway, I hope this related in-detail withdrawal story helps you. Withdrawing from drugs you have grown into, over the course of a decade or so, is just not so easy. You believe you know the world around you, but this knowledge is only superficial. Drugs change everything, and so does not taking them. A lot of things need to be reformulated and understood from this new perspective, before you will experience the same level of emotional comfort.

Don't take nicotine lightly, just because other people can apparently just stop smoking when they want to and don't suffer much from it, although addiction may just get back at them. To most people, nicotine is a recreational aspect of their lifes. They primarily derive just additional pleasure from it. To other people, nicotine/smoking is partly or exclusively self-medication for real and serious mental health problems. This connects it to much more than just recreational activities and the impact of withdrawing from it will equally be as comprehensive in your life. Some people are also just more sensitive to drugs. Especially people with autism, anxiety and also OCD seem to fall in this category.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread