• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Best RDA for beginners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retcon-Rocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
VY Canis Majoris
Hello!,

Thinkin' of taking a dive into the world of rda's and am currently stuck deciding between the Plume Veil or IGO W, anyone have any experience with these two beginner bad boys?, would you recommend them?

As for what I'll be powering them with would be an istick 20w, will that be sufficient?

Anyone got recommendations on the best rda for a beginner?

TIA!

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Most RDAs are the same thing really. The difference is the way the coils are secured and the way the airflow comes in.

I would recommend starting with a 3-post atomizer (or with a positive post block like the plume veil). Plume Veil does have airflow through the negative posts too, so that can leak if you don't wick / drip right. Even simpler would be something like a Tobh, Stillare, Tugboat, Troll, CLT, etc.... they are all basically three post atomizers with different airflow from the side. Master these and you can do they all.

20 watts can do it for a single coil, but once you start building with multiple coils or lower gauge wire, you are going to want more power.

Reactions: Ennsem

Ennsem

Jan 22, 2015
Pelangi
Yup Dave Signal is right.. Most RDAs are the same thing actually.. you just have to note the number of posts (3 or 4) and the air flow control.. also note how you are building your coils, most will cater to usual horizontal builds but not vertical coils.

Something simple and functional (flavour + clouds) would be a derringer.. its small but packs a punch.. i run dual vertical coils(26 gauge) at 0.3ohms and 28watts..

20watts would be sufficient initially but if you are going to sub-ohm which will happen soon when you have your hands on an RDA, you will need more power.

Always vape safe my friend!

Minzy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2014
Syonando
Hello!,

Thinkin' of taking a dive into the world of RDA's and am currently stuck deciding between the Plume Veil or IGO W, anyone have any experience with these two beginner bad boys?, would you recommend them?

As for what I'll be powering them with would be an iStick 20w, will that be sufficient?

Anyone got recommendations on the best RDA for a beginner?

TIA!
As the others have said, most RDAs are pretty much the same. i suggest you get familiar with those before looking into the more unique ones like the Veritas or the Marquis. Go with the Derringer. can't go wrong with that little beast.

Jun Andaakabaa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2014
Little Red Dot
Not sure 'bout IGO-W but Plume veil has two low airflow holes at the sides that leads to the juice well, most certainly it would leak like a MF without covering them up, no idea why is needed to be there at the first place. Also, if its a replica you're getting, avoid 'gold plating' decks as there were cases where it flakes off easily. Yucks!

Now, I like the multiple airflow option of the mutation x v4 which can either be a flavor or a cloud chaser type of RDA. Something you can consider and take advantage of since you're just starting out, and it could very well be the only RDA you ever need.:thumb:

Last edited:

zeef

Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Singapore
Not sure 'bout IGO-W but Plume veil has two low airflow holes at the sides that leads to the juice well, most certainly it would leak like a MF without covering them up, no idea why is needed to be there at the first place. Also, if its a replica you're getting, avoid 'gold plating' decks as there were cases where it flakes off easily. Yucks!

Now, I like the multiple airflow option of the mutation x v4 which can either be a flavor or a cloud chaser type of RDA. Something you can consider and take advantage of since you're just starting out, and it could very well be the only RDA you ever need.:thumb:

Wow mutation x v4....looking to get my hands on one of it...hahaha...

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'd go for a Tugboat V2. Simple to build and to use, there are very cheap clones too. Make sure the centerpost is not brass or copper. Best suited to be used with coils around .5 to 1.2 ohm (in fact I have a 1 ohm nickel build that's been going like crazy for the past two months)

Ennsem

Jan 22, 2015
Pelangi
LOL.. dont we all have this "syndrome" when we look at something say for example a Derringer, "oh that's the only thing i'll need and it would be sufficient".... then when something else comes out, we'll be in a dilemma to get or not to get??

I'll be honest, i battle with this "syndrome" alot! LOL (sorry a bit off topic)

nuvole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2014
Sillypore
My first RDA is a Genesis, and as expected for newbies I've trouble with mesh.

I then hop over to Sofia by Leo and brought 7 of those. They are small, with all parts available to be purchase individually.
Only issue is that you have to get NR-R-NR wire, and tank separately.

I'm currently going back to Genesis... Rather a pain to build, but they (imho) vape the best.

chia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2014
Red Dot
LOL.. dont we all have this "syndrome" when we look at something say for example a Derringer, "oh that's the only thing i'll need and it would be sufficient".... then when something else comes out, we'll be in a dilemma to get or not to get??

I'll be honest, i battle with this "syndrome" alot! LOL (sorry a bit off topic)

no dilemma.. just get it! lol

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
my dilemma is different. More like "that cherry bomber works exactly the same way as the Dimitri that I already have.... but the button is in a different place and I can get it in full copper.... hmmm." or something similar goes through my head every time something new comes out, which happens at least once a week.

But nobody really needs to get the latest stuff. Its just fun if you can afford it and enjoy playing with new stuff.

Retcon-Rocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
VY Canis Majoris
Most RDAs are the same thing really. The difference is the way the coils are secured and the way the airflow comes in.

I would recommend starting with a 3-post atomizer (or with a positive post block like the plume veil). Plume Veil does have airflow through the negative posts too, so that can leak if you don't wick / drip right. Even simpler would be something like a Tobh, Stillare, Tugboat, Troll, CLT, etc.... they are all basically three post atomizers with different airflow from the side. Master these and you can do they all.

20 watts can do it for a single coil, but once you start building with multiple coils or lower gauge wire, you are going to want more power.
I've narrowed it down to a Derringer or Tugboat for my first RDA, sold out for the time being though. [emoji20]

I'll be getting a 30w cloupor soon, yes, like the others have mentioned, i don't want to be limited in future.

Thanks for the info, it was really informative!

Retcon-Rocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
VY Canis Majoris
Most rdas are very similar in design.. Personally dun like plume veils.. As they can leak if not wicked right.. I would look for small chambers and deep juice well.
Narrowed it down to a Derringer or Tugboat, both of which are sold out at the moment [emoji20]

Thabks for the information on the plume veils man!

Retcon-Rocket

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 18, 2013
VY Canis Majoris
I have a plume veil n it leaks...sometimes even spit out of the airflow if dripped too much or wick wrongly...try tugboat, stillare, derringer maybe...
Yep!,

I am thinking of a Derringer or Tugboat, gotta wait till their in stock tho, but still, definitely getting them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread