Status
Not open for further replies.

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
The other day I was looking for a drip tip that would fit the diameter of my Derringer rda. For some reason the outside diameter of the hole where you put the drip tip is smaller than a normal RDA. I put on an older skinnier stainless steel dip tip I used on cartomizers. What I didn't realize was the base of the tip was longer and actual touched the center post of the RDA. If you have one, you'll notice how close the positive pin is to the top of the atomizer. As soon as I fired it, I knew something was wrong. Wires started glowing even after I released the button. I immediately unscrewed the RDA and removed the batteries. It all happened really quick. You could smell the burning wires. Needless to say it quit working. So my question is, was it the stainless steel touching the center post the cause? And, can the Mod be salvaged? Thanks for any help. Should also add, my batteries did not get hot and the RDA is fine too.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
So my question is, was it the stainless steel touching the center post the cause?

Yes. You essentially created a direct short between the positive (center post of your Derringer) and negative connection (top cap of your Derringer) of the mod. Same as if you let your coil touch the inside of the cap. Bam. Shorted. Though in that case the Kanthal might just melt before the mod wiring burns up.

And, can the Mod be salvaged?

Don't know if the mod can be salvaged without seeing it, but very likely needs to be re-wired, possibly needs a new mosfet - not sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: john333

john333

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
Indiana
Yes. You essentially created a direct short between the positive (center post of your Derringer) and negative connection (top cap of your Derringer) of the mod. Same as if you let your coil touch the inside of the cap. Bam. Shorted. Though in that case the Kanthal might just melt befor the mod wiring burns up.

Don't know if the mod can be salvaged without seeing it, but very likely needs to be re-wired, possibly needs a new mosfet - not sure.
Thanks for confirming. May take it to work and see if my maintenance man wants to check it out. Fortunately not a big money loss. Thanks again Stewie!

Reactions: gpjoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread