steam eng coil question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
so im trying to figure out how to make a 24g kanthal single coil around 3 ohms its tell me 2 wraps isent that to small? i got 3mm 2.4mm 1.4mm and 2mm bits i can wrap on.

also where can i find a video or somethen that shows how to wick japanese cotton on a single coil, everythings dual coil

Um. Getting 3 ohms with 24ga just isn't really practical. It'll take you like 30 wraps, even with a 3mm diameter, to get to that resistance. You'd probably have more luck with 28 or 30 gauge. If you had an inner diameter of like.. 10mm? You can probably get it in 8 wraps or so with 24ga.

Additionally, wicking a dual coil would be the same as wicking a single coil. You just do it once instead of twice.

DeathFox

May 6, 2015
Um. Getting 3 ohms with 24ga just isn't really practical. It'll take you like 30 wraps, even with a 3mm diameter, to get to that resistance. You'd probably have more luck with 28 or 30 gauge. If you had an inner diameter of like.. 10mm? You can probably get it in 8 wraps or so with 24ga.

Additionally, wicking a dual coil would be the same as wicking a single coil. You just do it once instead of twice.
i dont know what to do to get sub ohm all i got is 24g it would take days to get any other guage in the mail

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
i dont know what to do to get sub ohm all i got is 24g it would take days to get any other guage in the mail
You could do what I do:
2.4mm screwdriver
24g
7 wraps
0.5 ohms
It's not super sub ohm, but it's still a nice vape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014

Wait, did you mean .3 ohms? That would make a LOT more sense.

Also, the "vapor" compared to sub ohm tanks depends entirely on what wattage you're putting through the coil. You using a mech mod, or a VV/VW device?

DeathFox

May 6, 2015

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
With a tiiiny inner diameter (this is gonna be a real tiny micro coil) that'd be like.. 5 wraps.

If you want vapor, you want surface area. I think you're building for the resistance, rather than building for what will provide a good vape. What VV/VW device do you have? Since it's adjustable, you can build virtually any ohm coil and then adjust the voltage to fit the vape you're looking for.

DeathFox

May 6, 2015
With a tiiiny inner diameter (this is gonna be a real tiny micro coil) that'd be like.. 5 wraps.

If you want vapor, you want surface area. I think you're building for the resistance, rather than building for what will provide a good vape. What VV/VW device do you have? Since it's adjustable, you can build virtually any ohm coil and then adjust the voltage to fit the vape you're looking for.
i have a few diffrent ones all the way to 100w can you give me a mm to work with all i got 1.4mm 2mm 3mm 2.4mm screwdrivers i can wrap on.

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
i have a few diffrent ones all the way to 100w can you give me a mm to work with all i got 1.4mm 2mm 3mm 2.4mm screwdrivers i can wrap on.

If you have such disposable wattage, why not take advantage?

To answer your question. Around a 1.4mm you'd do 5 wraps. Around a 2mm you'd do 4 wraps. Around a 3mm you'd do 3 wraps. You can try that, but I suggest trying a 13-wrap dual coil around 3mm. It'll put you around .6 ohms, and it'll provide MUCH more vapor than a .3 ohm/5 wrap build (it'll also be a cooler vape, surprisingly). You might even have a tough time not getting hot legs at higher wattages with so few wraps.

DeathFox

May 6, 2015
If you have such disposable wattage, why not take advantage?

To answer your question. Around a 1.4mm you'd do 5 wraps. Around a 2mm you'd do 4 wraps. Around a 3mm you'd do 3 wraps. You can try that, but I suggest trying a 13-wrap dual coil around 3mm. It'll put you around .6 ohms, and it'll provide MUCH more vapor than a .3 ohm/5 wrap build (it'll also be a cooler vape, surprisingly). You might even have a tough time not getting hot legs at higher wattages with so few wraps.
what watts will be good for those those builds then ill let you get back to your day kind sir!

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
what watts will be good for those those builds then ill let you get back to your day kind sir!

With .3 ohms, and so few wraps, I'd be wary and start off low. You're gonna have to "feel out" the appropriate wattage to not get a burnt hit. This will also depend on your wicking technique.

At .6 ohms, there will be slightly noticeable ramp-up time at about 50W. I hit a large surface-area .6 ohm coil for about 2 seconds at a time at around 70W. Nice, big, dense + flavorful clouds. Cool vape, no burny-throat feeling. Only get a dry hit if I'm taking a stupid-deep 5-second lung inhale or something wacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread