Not open for further replies.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Recently Robino edited old soldier's 'break links' sticky:

PLEASE READ! Breaking Links to Junk Science and Other Rubbish Posts | E-Cigarette Forum

Instead of spaces, we are to use [ plain ].... [ /plain ] (without the spaces in the brackets), which puts the url into 'plain text'.

The above link would look like this:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/please-read-breaking-links-to-junk-science-and-other-rubbish-posts.272086/

... unclickable.

I've read in the google forums that address this a few different answers, but the general sense is that the google crawl will not 'normally' index plain text... but... IF the plain text is in a recognizable format - http://, etc. it may 'investigate' further.... however, if it decides it's actually a link, it will downgrade the importance since it is in plain text. That's a summary of what I gathered from some posters there - some from google and some webmasters who run tests for things like that.

Retired is right in that 'unlink' will not 'unlink' all the time. I tried to unlink the url above and failed. And I've unlinked other urls - not ecf's - and it has worked.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
I've never been able to unbreak them though. I copy it and paste it into my browser, and take out all the spaces, but it never works, what else do I need to do if I want to view it?
Depending on the browser you're using, it may be converting the spaces in the url to %20 -- they all used to do this, but these days I think most of them will do a search if they don't think it's a valid url.

Reactions: Debadoo

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Recently Robino edited old soldier's 'break links' sticky:

PLEASE READ! Breaking Links to Junk Science and Other Rubbish Posts | E-Cigarette Forum

Instead of spaces, we are to use [ plain ].... [ /plain ] (without the spaces in the brackets), which puts the url into 'plain text'.

The above link would look like this:

https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/please-read-breaking-links-to-junk-science-and-other-rubbish-posts.272086/

... unclickable.

I've read in the google forums that address this a few different answers, but the general sense is that the google crawl will not 'normally' index plain text... but... IF the plain text is in a recognizable format - http://, etc. it may 'investigate' further.... however, if it decides it's actually a link, it will downgrade the importance since it is in plain text. That's a summary of what I gathered from some posters there - some from google and some webmasters who run tests for things like that.

Retired is right in that 'unlink' will not 'unlink' all the time. I tried to unlink the url above and failed. And I've unlinked other urls - not ecf's - and it has worked.

Thank you so much for this! I went hunting online yesterday for all BBcode tags, but found that the 'noparse' tag doesn't work.

Andria

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
I saw a nice way a member broke a link that I would prefer to use if it's ok -

domainiwontlinkto
.com/page.html

Nothing tries to fix this link, not even google, yet it's really easy for me to copy and paste it. Thoughts?
This is exactly the way I do it, before posting paste it in, remove the http://www part, and return before the .com, etc. Can be copy/pasted into new tab just fine that way, and no Google juice attached. :)
(If editing after the fact, just click edit, then click the wrench icon on the right to go to the BBCode editor, and can remove the [ URL] tags and follow the rest of the above process).

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
This is exactly the way I do it, before posting paste it in, remove the http://www part, and return before the .com, etc. Can be copy/pasted into new tab just fine that way, and no Google juice attached. :)
(If editing after the fact, just click edit, then click the wrench icon on the right to go to the BBCode editor, and can remove the [ URL] tags and follow the rest of the above process).
Yep I think you WERE the one I saw using this technique, and thought it was a great idea!!

Reactions: sonicdsl

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
I've noticed a couple of times that when I reply to a post, then decided that I didn't want to go ahead and post the reply, that I can't delete, or cancel the post. It is there, greyed out, until I over write it and post. How do we delete or cancel a post? I hope you get what I mean here.

Reactions: kathi17

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've noticed a couple of times that when I reply to a post, then decided that I didn't want to go ahead and post the reply, that I can't delete, or cancel the post. It is there, greyed out, until I over write it and post. How do we delete or cancel a post? I hope you get what I mean here.

I highlight/delete, then click the Floppy picture up by the camera^^^to delete draft

oplholik

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 22, 2011
    San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
    What happened? I clicked on new posts, and started going down thru the threads, and realized there were 10 pages where I normally have only seen 8 or 9 since the new s/u here. Once I got thru the 10 pages I went to mark all forums read, and didn't see the Mark forums read button. Then I saw that I had apparently been logged out, and had to log back in. First time that has happened to me here. When I logged back in there were only 8 pages showing. Weird, to me anyhow.

RedhatPat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lancaster, Pa
    One more question and then I will return to reading this thread from end-to-end.

In the old formus I uploaded my avatar picture and the system resized it for me I believe.

Now it displays an error when I attempt to upload the very same image, below is the original:

image.jpg

Could someone resize this according to ecf's rules for me? I'm on an iPad and not very computer savvy

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2011
    The Reef just off the Florida coast
    Where do I go to increase how many posts I would like displayed on threads I visit?

Thx in advance,

RHP
    Nowhere. On the old software you could select the number of posts displayed. With the new forum that is currently not an option. It is fixed at 20 posts per page.

kathi17

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    Nowhere. On the old software you could select the number of posts displayed. With the new forum that is currently not an option. It is fixed at 20 posts per page.

I sure wish we could choose fewer posts, On my slow internet, if there are a lot of photos or videos on the page, it hangs forever, then finally, all the graphics turn into X's.
    That never used to happen on the old forum.

I can't load a different page or "like" posts while I wait for the page to load either, because nothing else will work while ECF is trying to load all those graphics. This forum was supposed to be faster, but on slow internet connections, it takes so much longer than the old one, and I don't get to visit as many threads because of the problems loading pages.

(It doesn't matter which browser I use, it's my bad internet.)

Reactions: RedhatPat

Uncle

Resting In Peace
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 15, 2011
    Could someone resize this according to ecf's rules for me? I'm on an iPad and not very computer savvy

@RedhatPat

I'm not very computer savvy either, especially when using a tablet . . . However, here is "My" attempt at resizing the photo "You" posted to use as your avatar (100 x 100) . . .

O6oyNI.jpg

Hope it will work for "You" . . . ;)

kathi17

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2013
    Stonington, ME, USA
    Have you tried using your phone. ECF loads a lot faster on my phone than it usually does on my laptop's slow internet connection. And, now ECF is actually USABLE on my phone!

My internet is so slow that I if I start my phone, it uses too much bandwidth. I can only use either the phone, or the computer, but not both at the same time, and I prefer surfing on the computer, so I suffer it through.

(No cell phone signal here at the end of the earth)!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread