Vaping at Disney (And Around Annoying Smokers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
In fairness though, some e-juices put off an odor that have a more...um...distinctive smell lol than others. vaping around my son when he stops over helps. Brutal honesty from the overgrown moyuk! He tells me which ones 1) don't smell like anything a'tall 2) which ones smell pretty good and 3) which ones I should NEVER vape in public.

NOT that I'm excusing what BlueCanary's "friends" did in that car. That was beyond rude. I don't care WHAT she was vaping, they had no right...

I agree, about the odor of some ejuice, and sometimes it might not even be the ejuice itself that smells so bad -- if I let my gunk problem run amok and my juice gets very dark, my husband complains about it a lot -- he says it smells like "burnt crap" (except he uses the S word ;)).

But for smokers to say that ANY ejuice "smells disgusting".. well, that's just downright hilarious. Pot, kettle, black, etc, and given what we've ALL experienced about our sense of smell coming BACK after we quit smoking... :lol: :D

Andria

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
So I went to Disney World last weekend. I had planned as if vaping would be limited to designated smoking areas, even though I didn't find anything one way or another posted on site that said that…I'd read online that Disney had made statements to that effect. Which is fine. I felt no more need to vape than I used to feel a need to smoke at a place like that, and I was traveling with three smokers. So, pretty much half of our days were spent finding out where the smoking sections were, walking to the smoking sections, and then sitting in the smoking sections while the smokers got their fix.

What I wasn't expecting was that I would get really annoyed at my smoker friends. REALLY annoyed. It started in the car on the way down, traveling with a close friend who I've known for about 4 years. She was chain smoking on the way down…I mean literally lighting one off the .... of another. Which, fine, I'd be lying if I said I'd never done the same thing. But since I've stopped smoking, I am aware of how horrible it smells, and how nasty the smoke is. I would never presume to tell her she couldn't smoke in her own car, and I live in fear of becoming one of "those people", the reformed ex-smoker, possibly only slightly less annoying than the loud door to door religious proselytizer. But it was super bugging me. And then, she starts complaining about my vaping. It smells. It's giving her a migraine. If I'm going to do it, I need to roll the window all the way down and not just crack it, and make sure I blow "that stuff" completely out of the car. (She's only cracking her window to smoke, mind you, because it's pouring down rain outside)

So fine. I have an eGrip with an rba and am currently vaping my own mixture of Rear-Diff/Charlie's Custard/Valyrian Ore that I like to call "Death By Pumpkin.' I'm not blowing huge clouds, and I don't ever blow my vapor in anyone's face. But it acts similar to smoke, enough that in a moving car some of it is going to get sucked back in and haze around inside. How she could smell it over the reek of burning turd that is cigarette smoke, I don't know. She continues to chain smoke the entire trip, pausing only to occasionally hose herself down with Vanilla body spray (which will give me hives if it gets on my skin, but that's my problem and so I'm careful not to come into contact with it rather than complaining because she's using it).

But this BS continued the entire trip. Apparently, any flavor that I vaped produced a "smell" that was horribly nauseating and bothersome to three adult chain smoking women who were also all bathing themselves in body spray between smokes. I had to be careful in the smoking areas to stand so that my vapor went away from their direction, or they'd start coughing. They were acting about my vaping the way non-smokers act about smoking. I tried not to let it get to me, but it put a serious damper on the trip. I felt like a leper, like even in the smoking section I was the one doing something super bothersome and so I had to segregate myself further away from even the smokers just to do my thing. I only saw one other person vaping the entire trip…and he was puffing on an MVP walking right down Main Street in Magic Kingdom and nobody said boo to him.

And at the end of the trip, there I was, my eyes feeling like they were full of gravel, my throat raw, my hair and clothes smelling disgusting, between the three of them smoking in the car and hanging out in the smoking section all day…I might as well have just smoked. It really made me think about the practice of putting vapers in the "smoking" section. Part of the reason I quit smoking was to get away from the smoke and the smell, but there I was in the middle of it. And being groused at by smokers, like I was the low person on the totem pole and my habit was somehow worse than their habit. I don't know if my vapor really is that bothersome (my husband, my non-smoking mom, and my non-smoking friends all say NO) or if…and this might be stretching…my smoking friends were somehow bothered because I wasn't "one of them" anymore and were trying to bully me back into the fold. (They did offer, repeatedly, because they just couldn't see how vaping was as "good" as a cigarette, and didn't believe me when I told them I found it much more pleasurable.)

I just erred on the side of keeping the peace, kept my mouth shut, and went on with my trip. Has anyone else experienced this kind of stuff from smoking friends? Is it possible that vapor could cause or worsen someone's migraine? I'm trying not to continue to have hurt feelings about it, but TBH it kinda makes me not want to hang out with these friends again in the future. If I were constantly bugging them about smoking, trying to convert them to vaping, etc I could maybe see them acting this way…but that is really not who I am, and I only discuss vaping and the fact that it helped me quit smoking with people if they ask directly.
perhaps not relevant but perhaps a small bottle of no flavour for a situation might be helpful to you I was quite surprised that it was an okay vape not as much fun but maybe a solution to your situation if it arises again and you feel the friendship is important to you

Reactions: blivey

BlackCat7

May 15, 2015
I just have to say that my friends and both of my parents don't mind it at all. My dad is also a recent ex smoker who quit cold turkey and my mom gets migraines often and quit smoking years ago when she found out she had a brain tumor. They are happy that I now vape, and let me vape in their house with smiles on their faces. I think you're friends are jealous deep down because you were able to quit while they weren't. All of my friends who still smoke wish they could quit, but I have never heard anyone complain about my vaping. I'm really sorry you had to deal with all that. I hate the smell of smoke too now, and i agree it's best to just not say anything and not be one of "those people". Just keep doing what's best for you, and ignore the drama.

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Personally, I'm sick of smokers complaining about my vapor. And they're the only ones who complain. Non-smokers generally either like the smell or are ambivalent. I think the smokers are just mad there's one less smoker in the world, someone's left their fold.

No, headaches don't come from second-hand vapor, except in the rare case of severe sensitivity to one of the flavor molecules, or consternation over the visible vapor leading to stress and in turn causing a headache. They do come from excessive nicotine intake (chain smoking is one way) and from repeated dousing in body sprays or other perfumes/colognes.

If a group of my friends (and some of my friends are smokers, though they're generally just curious about vaping, not judgemental) treated me as it sounds yours treated you, I'd have three more aquaintances and three fewer friends. And maybe a few more new aquaintances since I'd have hitched back home. I don't treat people that way, and people don't (are not permitted to) treat me that way.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Personally, I'm sick of smokers complaining about my vapor. And they're the only ones who complain. Non-smokers generally either like the smell or are ambivalent. I think the smokers are just mad there's one less smoker in the world, someone's left their fold.

No, headaches don't come from second-hand vapor, except in the rare case of severe sensitivity to one of the flavor molecules, or consternation over the visible vapor leading to stress and in turn causing a headache. They do come from excessive nicotine intake (chain smoking is one way) and from repeated dousing in body sprays or other perfumes/colognes.

If a group of my friends (and some of my friends are smokers, though they're generally just curious about vaping, not judgemental) treated me as it sounds yours treated you, I'd have three more aquaintances and three fewer friends. And maybe a few more new aquaintances since I'd have hitched back home. I don't treat people that way, and people don't (are not permitted to) treat me that way.

I think that smokers perceive vapers as either a threat, or a negative judgment. Ditto for drinkers to non-drinkers when someone gets sober.

I think this is part of the reason why all the 12-step groups have their little motto about that; "if you want to change the game, you have to change the players" -- because if you continue hanging around with the folks with whom you pursued your addiction, whatever it is, you stand a MUCH greater risk of returning to active use yourself -- for all sorts of reasons, but perhaps also because of the ridicule and harassment the still-users mete out to the now-non-users. "Oh c'mon, ONE won't hurt you," never understanding that ONE is just the key in the ignition.

Andria

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014

Been there done that. As a smoker, I watched people going gum or ecigs or whatever. It is a reminder that it's probably high time that you do something about your heavy smoking habit too. And, if you're not really ready to go for it, this kind of reminder may be quite annoying. Annoyed by your own complacency that is.

Last edited:
Well, lucky for me I guess, two out of the three of them live in Florida and I'll probably never see them again. (They were more friends with my girlfriend who I was traveling with than with me to begin with) And the friend who I rode down with seems to have mellowed about my vaping and has not said a word about it or the smell since the trip. I think that it was the other two who were so anti, and she was just going along with them, and I was "odd girl out" for the trip. I won't make the mistake of traveling with them ever again.

In fairness though, some e-juices put off an odor that have a more...um...distinctive smell lol than others. Vaping around my son when he stops over helps. Brutal honesty from the overgrown moyuk! He tells me which ones 1) don't smell like anything a'tall 2) which ones smell pretty good and 3) which ones I should NEVER vape in public.

NOT that I'm excusing what BlueCanary's "friends" did in that car. That was beyond rude. I don't care WHAT she was vaping, they had no right...

Yeah, I had a green tea flavored juice that literally smelled like cat pee when I was vaping it. (I didn't have that on the trip, I only had pumpkin spice juice, which smells like vanilla) I have had to get rid of the green tea juice, because it grossed my husband out so bad, and it wasn't really good enough to be worth chasing him out of the room. :) Other than that, I've never had a juice that smelled bad. They're all mostly sweet vanilla-y, candyish smells that people seem to find pleasant. I've even had a friend request that I vape in her office because she wants the smell to linger in there.

Tomorrow AR

May 25, 2015
Arkansas, USA
Besides being thrilled that I don't smoke anymore my wife (non-smoker) loves the smell of my caramel and chocolate juices. She doesn't mind sitting right next to me while I vape my regular ole APV (no cloud chasing). She is actually jealous that I get all that yummy flavor without any calories! :) I, like many other ex-smokers, have come to realize just how much and how bad smoking really smells. When I am around my other family members who still smoke I just put up with it. I will roll down the car window for fresh air though. Fortunately they are understanding and considerate. My mom is actually getting curious about vaping and has mentioned that she might get one. Next time she comes to town for a visit I think we'll go over to the vape store and let her try some flavors and maybe get her hooked up with a starter kit. :)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Back on the Disney conversation, My wife and I are about the spend a week at Disney and Universal. I've read about the new Disney rules that include vaping and relegate all vapers to the smoking areas. Is it that hard to stealth vape and avoid the employee evil eye? I also wonder how many smoking areas are in the parks and whether they are conveniently located.

How about Universal Studios? Are they as adamant about vaping as Disney?

I'm a 6mg nic level vaper who tapered down from 24mg, but I'm thinking I should order a 50ml bottle of 24mg for the trip to level out the desire to vape constantly. It was a piece of cake to transition from 24mg to 6mg when i did that a year ago, so I won't be hooked on 24mg if I go back.

Thoughts?

Back on the Disney conversation, My wife and I are about the spend a week at Disney and Universal. I've read about the new Disney rules that include vaping and relegate all vapers to the smoking areas. Is it that hard to stealth vape and avoid the employee evil eye? I also wonder how many smoking areas are in the parks and whether they are conveniently located.

How about Universal Studios? Are they as adamant about vaping as Disney?

I'm a 6mg nic level vaper who tapered down from 24mg, but I'm thinking I should order a 50ml bottle of 24mg for the trip to level out the desire to vape constantly. It was a piece of cake to transition from 24mg to 6mg when i did that a year ago, so I won't be hooked on 24mg if I go back.

Thoughts?

There are lots of smoking areas, and they are clearly located on the maps. It wasn't that big a deal to go from smoking area to smoking area, at least for us, because we were usually waiting on our fastpass time anyway. I did see people vaping places, and nobody was saying anything to them, but I didn't try it myself. There are "Disney police" everywhere, apparently, because the girls I was with who have been to Disney a bunch kept joking "we can't do x thing, or the Disney police will get us." There were enough places that I was able to vape between rides that I wasn't jonesing or anything. Going up a nic level might be a good plan, though. I was using 12mg at the time of my trip (and have tapered down to 6mg now) but I did carry 18mg with me on the trip and was glad that I'd done so, both because of the more limited vaping opportunities and because of the stressful nature of the road trip. And I'm a person who vapes fairly constantly when I'm at home or in my car or somewhere that it is OK to chain vape. I think you'll be OK. I don't know what setup you are using, if you feel like you might be inclined to try to stealth vape the whole time you are in the park, I'd take a little eGo or some other really small stealthy setup and keep it with you just in case, but I really think you'll find that there are enough designated smoking areas and enough other stuff going on that you will be fine.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
There are lots of smoking areas, and they are clearly located on the maps. It wasn't that big a deal to go from smoking area to smoking area, at least for us, because we were usually waiting on our fastpass time anyway. I did see people vaping places, and nobody was saying anything to them, but I didn't try it myself. There are "Disney police" everywhere, apparently, because the girls I was with who have been to Disney a bunch kept joking "we can't do x thing, or the Disney police will get us." There were enough places that I was able to vape between rides that I wasn't jonesing or anything. Going up a nic level might be a good plan, though. I was using 12mg at the time of my trip (and have tapered down to 6mg now) but I did carry 18mg with me on the trip and was glad that I'd done so, both because of the more limited vaping opportunities and because of the stressful nature of the road trip. And I'm a person who vapes fairly constantly when I'm at home or in my car or somewhere that it is OK to chain vape. I think you'll be OK. I don't know what setup you are using, if you feel like you might be inclined to try to stealth vape the whole time you are in the park, I'd take a little eGo or some other really small stealthy setup and keep it with you just in case, but I really think you'll find that there are enough designated smoking areas and enough other stuff going on that you will be fine.

Back from the Disney/Epcot/Universal trip. I walked 26.2 miles in 6 days in the parks according the health app on my LG G3!

At no time did anyone acknowledge or comment on my open vaping inside any of the parks. I just blew down my shirt when I exhaled and even did that (accidentally) in front of park employees and in several park restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't attract attention, although anyone within 50 feet could have detected the Kayfun 3 on my Royal Blue 50W iStick.

18mg juice helped me to hit up some nic and only vape here and there. If I had vaped my normal 6mg juice I'd have been using it literaly as a pacifier. I vaped on the train in Frontierland and even vaped on the monorail, but we had a car to ourselves most of the time. I vaped while waiting for the kids to come out of kiddie land rides and vaped in the shade at the water park section while the nephews played in the water. I even vaped in line while waiting for Terminator to usher us into the show, as I did in all the other theater type attractions. Not once did I utilize a smoking section in the 6 days we were in the parks.

Overall, it was a great trip, just way too much walking for an old guy!

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Well, lucky for me I guess, two out of the three of them live in Florida and I'll probably never see them again. (They were more friends with my girlfriend who I was traveling with than with me to begin with) And the friend who I rode down with seems to have mellowed about my vaping and has not said a word about it or the smell since the trip. I think that it was the other two who were so anti, and she was just going along with them, and I was "odd girl out" for the trip. I won't make the mistake of traveling with them ever again.

It's strange how smokers can be the first to reject your vaping habit. They quote all the VapeNazi lines about how ecigs contain formaldehyde and other deadly chemicals. I guess it makes them feel better about not being able to quit smoking. I just keep on vaping my Hangsen tobacco flavors (which aren't offensive at all) and inform them that there's no tar and virtually no detectable level of carcinogens as long as you vape reasonable voltages.

I enjoy telling them that the same PG base is in their toothpaste, pie fillings, the Coca-Cola they drink (de-foaming agent), and most cakes, pies, candies, and a host of other food products. i make sure they know that it's in their toothpaste, hair products, and lots of lotions. It's the main ingredient in eyedrops and a carrier in many medicines. If you have a breathing treatment in the hospital it makes the fog that carries medicines to the lungs.

Then I say, "So why would you think that vaping is dangerous? Those cigarettes are tested and guaranteed to shorten your life and are a number one cause of emphysema and a major contributor to heart disease ." ;)

But, I would only do that to people who complained about my vaping while blowing smoke in my direction!

Last edited:

Tomorrow AR

May 25, 2015
Arkansas, USA
  • Deleted by DreamWithin
  • Reason: Quote of deleted post

hurricanegirl100

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2012
The burbies of Cleveland
That thing is pretty hilarious. I'd vape it, in public, just to be obnoxious. Though what they were thinking their market was when they made it I'm not sure….

Chris Birks built that mod as a chuckle...he did a truly great YouTube video back in 2009. His video was one of the first e-cigarette YT videos I ever saw.

He built an Altoids double barrel mod for me - it's one of my most prized possessions. Good guy..

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Personally, I now avoid controlling people whenever possible. In particular my choice of friends. This stuff is all about control and controlling personalities. Something too little discussed.

My parents are that sort, total control-freaks; naturally now I hate control freaks... so what did I do? I married one, of course! :facepalm: That mistake didn't last long, thank goodness, and the guy I've been married to for nearly 28 yrs now is NOTHING like that! What luxury! Someone who's just fine with ME being ME! :D

My son called me a control freak once; I laughed at him, and invited him to compare me with, oh... his grammy? He apologized immediately and said of course I was not a control freak. :D

Andria

Reactions: VNeil

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
Andria, it's all relative :) On the subject of control freaks... let's say you are in a bar, and the bar allows vaping. There are 100 people in the bar, and 99 of them have no issue with your vaping and it is not bothering them. One person goes up to the manager or a bartender, behind your back, complaining. You are now asked to stop vaping. You don't even know who it is was, or if you really bothered them in any way other than the fact they don't want to even see this behavior they object to.

Now... is that the ultimate in control or not? Doe sit bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?

That happened to me several times the past 9 months or so, so it is a real thing with me, not theoretical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread