Vancouver WA bans indoor vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Sorry to hear the nannycrats trespassed against individual freedoms and property rights again. However, even though vaping has been banned in Seattle since 2010, I regularly ignore that absurdity and vape wherever I want anyways, stealth if I must, openly if I can.
I completely and heartily agree with your thinking it is amazing what a little civil disobedience can accomplish not immediately but eventually tyranny exists when we fail to stand or in the vernacular of the sixties sit - peace and vape strong and proud - wish I could be standing right there with you.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
thanks Robino 1 it was good to read the primer been there done that at least some of it. Never did get arrested though - the passions of youth! good write up the only other thing I might ad to it was the refusal of Quakers to remove their hats and the resulting persecutions and the Underground Railroad of course that info is not as frequently known but if I recall I do believe some RSOF are still refusing to pay tax that supports war efforts however I think the amount is set aside for a peace purpose

greatimp81

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Portland, Oregon, United States
Is this ban only for public places? if so i think that is fair because even though i am a vapor, I don't think others, including their children, should be subjected to it in a indoor pubic place.

While I tend to take my vape outside no matter what except in my home. I do not like these laws shutting down vape lounges. Since that is one of the best ways to sample new liquid flavors and get to meet some of the local people in your area that vape. While I do not want to expose people in my work place or a restaurant to vape if they are not comfortable. Vape lounges are places where people get together an vape and buy supplies and equipment. The lack of exemption is just to shut down business they do not want and cannot ban for other reasons.

Reactions: nicnik

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
While I tend to take my vape outside no matter what except in my home. I do not like these laws shutting down vape lounges. Since that is one of the best ways to sample new liquid flavors and get to meet some of the local people in your area that vape. While I do not want to expose people in my work place or a restaurant to vape if they are not comfortable. Vape lounges are places where people get together an vape and buy supplies and equipment. The lack of exemption is just to shut down business they do not want and cannot ban for other reasons.

While I understand the viewpoint of wanting to come to a compromise on some of these issues, there is one basic truth that persists in politics. If you start in a position of compromise, you are very likely to lose on nearly all points (if not every point) in the debate. If we have any hope of a decent compromise solution, we must ask for much more than we really want and then only give up on points that matter the least.

For example, businesses that cater to adults only (bars, vapor shops, etc) should be exempt from any restrictive legislation other than age restrictions. Any ordinance that puts vapor products in the tobacco category should be a non-starter. Any legislation that requires licensing, zoning, or other local restrictions should be written in a way that any changes to the requirements and enforcement cannot be made by committee alone and requires the legislative process for alteration.

Basically, we need to make them work hard for any concession that we're willing to concede, and we need to keep them in check.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Is this ban only for public places? if so i think that is fair because even though i am a vapor, I don't think others, including their children, should be subjected to it in a indoor pubic place.

I like altruistic thinking. Except when it's not. More than 30% of these "public spaces" were built with smokers' tax money. What shall we do about them?

Reactions: DrMA

greatimp81

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
While I understand the viewpoint of wanting to come to a compromise on some of these issues, there is one basic truth that persists in politics. If you start in a position of compromise, you are very likely to lose on nearly all points (if not every point) in the debate. If we have any hope of a decent compromise solution, we must ask for much more than we really want and then only give up on points that matter the least.

For example, businesses that cater to adults only (bars, vapor shops, etc) should be exempt from any restrictive legislation other than age restrictions. Any ordinance that puts vapor products in the tobacco category should be a non-starter. Any legislation that requires licensing, zoning, or other local restrictions should be written in a way that any changes to the requirements and enforcement cannot be made by committee alone and requires the legislative process for alteration.

Basically, we need to make them work hard for any concession that we're willing to concede, and we need to keep them in check.
Well compromise is not always a bad thing. I agree that vapor products should not be in the tobacco category. I am not sure about no restrictions on adult only businesses. Since I am not a fan of drunk rednecks carrying guns (allowing concealed carry in bars). Still I do agree that most of the zoning and local restrictions as well as licensing should be done though vote and not committee. However the compromise that I make by going outside with the smokers to vape is a personal choice. I am not mandating that everyone join me on it. I just think it is polite. Since it does produce a cloud and some e-liquid has a scent when in vapor form.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Well compromise is not always a bad thing. I agree that vapor products should not be in the tobacco category. I am not sure about no restrictions on adult only businesses. Since I am not a fan of drunk rednecks carrying guns (allowing concealed carry in bars). Still I do agree that most of the zoning and local restrictions as well as licensing should be done though vote and not committee. However the compromise that I make by going outside with the smokers to vape is a personal choice. I am not mandating that everyone join me on it. I just think it is polite. Since it does produce a cloud and some e-liquid has a scent when in vapor form.

I agree with your points of being polite, and I exercise the same restraints with vaping as I did with smoking. If I'm in a crowd of people (regardless of location), I always ask if anyone objects to my vaping at that location. I don't go to bars anymore (I'm a bit old for that), so mostly it's at someone's house or back yard barbecue, but I always ask.

With that said, there's a difference between living in a polite society and trying to legislate that type of behavior. Being polite is a choice, and the choice not to be polite can have immediate consequences when you lose friends and you're not invited to the party any longer. Legislating social behavior (beyond murder, assault, theft, etc) should not be expected or accepted. Some people will choose to be intolerable, but that's still a choice that they should be able to make.

greatimp81

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
I agree with your points of being polite, and I exercise the same restraints with vaping as I did with smoking. If I'm in a crowd of people (regardless of location), I always ask if anyone objects to my vaping at that location. I don't go to bars anymore (I'm a bit old for that), so mostly it's at someone's house or back yard barbecue, but I always ask.

With that said, there's a difference between living in a polite society and trying to legislate that type of behavior. Being polite is a choice, and the choice not to be polite can have immediate consequences when you lose friends and you're not invited to the party any longer. Legislating social behavior (beyond murder, assault, theft, etc) should not be expected or accepted. Some people will choose to be intolerable, but that's still a choice that they should be able to make.

I agree as well. The only social behavior that should be legislated are those that take from others (murder, assault, theft ...). Still this is the same mentality that lead to the prohibition measure and the only amendment repealed. Still many cannot learn that many laws do not make a good society.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
I agree as well. The only social behavior that should be legislated are those that take from others (murder, assault, theft ...). Still this is the same mentality that lead to the prohibition measure and the only amendment repealed. Still many cannot learn that many laws do not make a good society.
I agree BUT if this faulty mentality did not exist we would not have had colourful people like Al Capone and my great great granddaddy would have been hungrier because the east coast fishermen would not have been able to smuggle rum- prohibition was a law that made many many people very rich. if they don't have laws how can they have mega taxation and if they can't have taxation all things fall apart laws create the ability to create taxation and fines and keeps all things going around it ain't personal it's just business

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Well I am aware of taxation. I have been paying taxes since 1993. I as well had a few family run that prohibition line making shine in TN and delivering it to cities. Still that does not mean we can stand against the excessive taxation. It just requires will.
oh my I so wish you were right but I suspect it takes mass numbers and even then I suspect it will fail perhaps not right away but slowly and insidiously -tobacco control and the craziness did not happen overnight it happened in dribs and drabs until stupidity ( because of the bottom line-mass propaganda and a generation of growth) eventually won out until even the non smokers could see through the charade

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Let's get 1 thing straight. You can't ban something just because you don't like how it looks. There's no more scientific basis to ban vaping indoors that there is to ban breathing or looking left. This is what "arbitrary & capricious" means
yep you have my vote BUT sadly it is hard to stop a runaway train-laws are made and not made by the whim of he who carries the fattest wallet BT BP BG have way too much to lose not to fight in every way possible so what has worked in the past big unions ( for a little while) revolutions (except they are messy) the whole TC shebang has been arbitrary and capricious from the get go but it did get going in a very real way they will ban in incremental steps and tax to death the rest nothing else is acceptable - is it right absolutely not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread