Status
Not open for further replies.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
Bloodwoods are +7 crit and disregard armor. They also have one of the highest dps's when wielded with NT. Great for melee.
BOY Papa ... all of that went right over the top of my head :cry: ???

Seriously, now, people. There's a coco on the site that's been texting me and leaving messages on my facebook all day. Somebody give it a good home, the little scamp.
Gee, I wonder if that's the one that's been bugg'n me too. I just don't know if I like the dark shades that much ... thinking it might be good "trading" stock :thumb:
I won't mention the # ... someone else may decide to check it out .. literally"
I may have to wait and see what Rob throws out when he get's the fish smell off his hands.
This is as bad as pre-sale. Now it's the Cocobolo against the unknown .. what to do :rolleyes:

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Seriously, now, people. There's a coco on the site that's been texting me and leaving messages on my facebook all day. Somebody give it a good home, the little scamp.

Seriously, Papa, it's been texting YOU. Personally, I've always felt that it's better to go down in flames, than to rust out on the runway...... :)

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
I know....there are some buy NOW woodies that I'm seeing when I close my eyes....

buy NOW BUY NOW BUY NOW

MUST RESIST!

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I don't have anything yet, maybe I will get some of the howard's UV to use on the purple heart, it would be nice to preserve that purple. I will read more into it later, I don't even have them yet.
It was either Karen, or another very knowledgeable reonaut who said that actually, the purple heart (oh be still my heart)
love sm batts eyelashes, tiny hearts fly up.gif
actually benefits from some UV lighting as it really brings out the purple in it.
Then something someone posted about wood says that if you let it be exposed to UV it'll turn brown. So...... I'm wondering........ do you expose it a lil bit to bring out the purple, then start protecting it....... dunno, but thought I'd toss that out for yur consideration!

Pay no attention to the fuzzy blue thing behind the curtain, she has no idea what she's talkin about.......read Karen's post down there
Look eyeballs with finger pointing down.gif

...and if someone else picked up three (when only one was planned) ...
hehehe When da girl makes up her mind........she really makes up her mind!! 4 Reos now with nary a squonk yet! lol Love it!!!

Last edited:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
It was either Karen, or another very knowledgeable reonaut who said that actually, the purple heart (oh be still my heart) View attachment 459652 actually benefits from some UV lighting as it really brings out the purple in it. Then something someone posted about wood says that if you let it be exposed to UV it'll turn brown. So...... I'm wondering........ do you expose it a lil bit to bring out the purple, then start protecting it....... dunno, but thought I'd toss that out for yur consideration!

hehehe When da girl makes up her mind........she really makes up her mind!! 4 Reos now with nary a squonk yet! lol Love it!!!

It was NOT me that said anything about Purpleheart benefiting from UV! I strongly suggest that the UV protection is needed to maintain the color of that wood. I have seen Purpleheart that has never been waxed. It is a deep brownish purple. My own Purplehearts purchased new and waxed with a UV protected wax maintain their original color.

Purpleheart wood varies in color. Some are a lighter purple some darker. I have seen brand new Purplehearts that were totally different in the amount of purple and the lightness of the wood.

For me, any Purpleheart or Cocobolo I might get will quickly receive a coating of a UV wax.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
For me, any Purpleheart or Cocobolo I might get will quickly receive a coating of a UV wax.
Thanks for clarifying Karen!!!! I may have misunderstood what was posted, dunno, but very glad you chimed in to clarify that!! Sorry for da cornfoozlement

Reactions: Slots

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
does mineral oil do anything to protect from UV? I want to use mineral oil because of no odor (I know Howard's smells good...still don't want to use anything with odor on my mod, just a sloth thing). But I also want to protect from UV, wenge is already really dark, dont want it to turn black :)

Samasa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2013
Huber Heights, Ohio
This is what Rob replied to me when I asked about the purple heart:

The purple heart looks faded because the pics were taken in direct sun light . Not to mention as long as one doesn't use the mod they are always welcome to return it for a full refund . If you take purple heart and put it directly under a florescent light it will get more vibrant purple It takes a few days . I don't think once it has a poly coat this would work .

I didn't quote that right, I don't know how to quote from one thread to another. This was in the Woodville finish pics thread.

I decided to get a cocobolo rather than a purple heart with this run. This will be my first woodville, so I am hoping when he does a run of 18490 woodvilles there will be some pretty purpleheart to choose from.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
does mineral oil do anything to protect from UV? I want to use mineral oil because of no odor (I know Howard's smells good...still don't want to use anything with odor on my mod, just a sloth thing). But I also want to protect from UV, wenge is already really dark, dont want it to turn black :)
This may be redundant, I apologize if it is, just thought I'd add it. I have an ebony and quilted maple from the last sale. Don't get me wrong, absolutely beautiful mod, and I love it! I picked it up second hand. The previous owner used Howard's Wax. The ebony is now completely black. He sent me pictures of what it looked like new, much lighter. He did say the extreme darkening was from the Howard's Wax. I'll be curious to answers to your question. I would much rather use mineral oil on my new one, if it protects as well?

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
www.facebook.com

Mineral oil does not have UV protection. From what I have read Wenge will lighten over time.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
This may be redundant, I apologize if it is, just thought I'd add it. I have an ebony and quilted maple from the last sale. Don't get me wrong, absolutely beautiful mod, and I love it! I picked it up second hand. The previous owner used Howard's Wax. The ebony is now completely black. He sent me pictures of what it looked like new, much lighter. He did say the extreme darkening was from the Howard's Wax. I'll be curious to answers to your question. I would much rather use mineral oil on my new one, if it protects as well?

Look at this: Preventing Color Changes in Exotic Woods | The Wood Database

My experience with my over 30 wood REO's might not be the best advice. But from my own research and my choice of the Howards WITH UV protection I am pleased with the results. My wood REO's don't really get out in full sun. But I protect them anyway since UV is not only something that is outside.

I have Ebony that was bought new. Always got Howard's with UV. It is still the same.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
www.facebook.com
This is what Rob replied to me when I asked about the purple heart:

The purple heart looks faded because the pics were taken in direct sun light . Not to mention as long as one doesn't use the mod they are always welcome to return it for a full refund . If you take purple heart and put it directly under a florescent light it will get more vibrant purple It takes a few days . I don't think once it has a poly coat this would work .

I didn't quote that right, I don't know how to quote from one thread to another. This was in the Woodville finish pics thread.

I decided to get a cocobolo rather than a purple heart with this run. This will be my first woodville, so I am hoping when he does a run of 18490 woodvilles there will be some pretty purpleheart to choose from.

Fresh cut wood will change colors. It takes awhile for it to mature and change into a settled color.
I got that from here:
Preventing Color Changes in Exotic Woods | The Wood Database

I am searching for the info about taking mature Purpleheart and putting under florescent lighting to force a change in color. Here is what I found so far: The Grape Popsicle of Woodworking: Purple Heart Wood (Peltogyne spp.) «

Question on sanding & finishing Purpleheart wood - by buckeyedudes @ LumberJocks.com ~ woodworking community

Peltogyne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Look at this: Preventing Color Changes in Exotic Woods | The Wood Database

My experience with my over 30 wood REO's might not be the best advice. But from my own research and my choice of the Howards WITH UV protection I am pleased with the results. My wood REO's don't really get out in full sun. But I protect them anyway since UV is not only something that is outside.

I have Ebony that was bought new. Always got Howard's with UV. It is still the same.
That was extremely helpful, thanks! I'm going to go ahead and stick with the Howard's.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Is it Thursday, Woody Day, yet???

Had a package delivered late afternoon yesterday with 3 Grands in it; a package due tomorrow with a new woodie, another package probably Friday with another new woodie. So it will continue to be a real fun week, and endless fun after playing with all of them. Even considering going to see what Woodies are left I can't live without. The best things in life come in 3's, 5's or by the truck load don't they? So far it seems my Reos do. :)

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Thanks Rob but I may want to see it compared to the stabilized one. I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little concerned about your post saying how the wood caused you so many problems.
nervous-2.gif
Oh it did I believe it wasn't baked long enough . I wasn't able to poly your mod it wouldnt dry odd for stabilized . I ended up using a oil finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread