Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
When creating this thread, DrMA wrote
"The most expensive antismoker campaign ever turns out to be an abysmal failure."

This study was even worse junk science that Glantz puts out. The way the study measured the impact of the CDC's ad campaign was to track internet searches about quitting smoking (which is a useless way to measure anything).

This study is even worse than the CDC's study (that concluded their ad campaign was a huge success). Nothing like junk science being conducted to refute other junk science.

Seems like nobody who posted a comment on this thread even bothered reading anything about this so-called study other than the intentionally deceptive title.

And the last 15 or 20 replies on this thread are completely off topic.

OK, thanks for pointing this out, Bill. Here's the AJPM posting:

http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/S0749-3797(15)00133-6/fulltext

Yes, the title of the article DrMA linked to is misleading, and the study does seem junky, though they seem to almost admit that in discussing its shortcomings.

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
When creating this thread, DrMA wrote
"The most expensive antismoker campaign ever turns out to be an abysmal failure."

This study was even worse junk science that Glantz puts out. The way the study measured the impact of the CDC's ad campaign was to track internet searches about quitting smoking (which is a useless way to measure anything).

This study is even worse than the CDC's study (that concluded their ad campaign was a huge success). Nothing like junk science being conducted to refute other junk science.

Seems like nobody who posted a comment on this thread even bothered reading anything about this so-called study other than the intentionally deceptive title.

And the last 15 or 20 replies on this thread are completely off topic.

That's what the Peer-reviewed "science" said, that's what I reported. What? You don't like antz's own methods turned around and used against them? Fight fire with fire!

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
That's what the Peer-reviewed "science" said, that's what I reported. What? You don't like antz's own methods turned around and used against them? Fight fire with fire!

Better to fight junk science with good science. Except that hasn't been working. No reason to think fighting it with junk science will work any better.

Their junk science is hardball politics. Fight hardball politics with hardball politics, even if it has to take a different form than junk research. Science has been abused enough, already.

Reactions: DrMA

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
This war is for the hearts and minds of the general public. ANTZ have only lied to turn the tide of public opinion against vaping. Not one word coming out of their mouths has been true since the very beginning. I'm sorry if you feel like promoting this particular headline taints the purity of the cause, but I respectfully disagree. This IS hardball politics, it's a dirty affair and requires copious mudslinging.

The only way to win is to convince non-vaping non-smoking folk out there that purportedly-reputable orgs are actually sanctimonious parasites owned by nefarious private interests who waste taxpayer dollars to promote their own moralistic absurdity and the interests of their paymasters at the expense of 44 million American lives.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
This IS hardball politics

When the 'science' is so abused, this is the only rational conclusion - which makes the posts about politics more 'on topic' than any of the junk science back and forth. When it is politics or control over the people that drives the science, then the science is irrelevant.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
When the 'science' is so abused, this is the only rational conclusion - which makes the posts about politics more 'on topic' than any of the junk science back and forth. When it is politics or control over the people that drives the science, then the science is irrelevant.

Besides which... those to whom all the junk-science headlines are targetted, can't tell the diff between real science and junk science anyway... one pointy head is much like any other, to them. It's sad and alarming that people are so ignorant, but in a society that places such a low value on education, it's inevitable. Most schools nowadays teach only two things -- that everyone should get a medal just for turning up, and how to pass tests. :facepalm: Real education in the US vanished a long time ago.

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Besides which... those to whom all the junk-science headlines are targetted, can't tell the diff between real science and junk science anyway... one pointy head is much like any other, to them. It's sad and alarming that people are so ignorant, but in a society that places such a low value on education, it's inevitable. Most schools nowadays teach only two things -- that everyone should get a medal just for turning up, and how to pass tests. :facepalm: Real education in the US vanished a long time ago.

Andria

Right on. If science and logic were taught instead of indoctrination and propaganda, (and false self-esteem), we wouldn't be having these problems.

Here's how to kill self-esteem: Give something to someone who didn't earn or deserve it, OR take something away from someone who did.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Right on. If science and logic were taught instead of indoctrination and propaganda, (and false self-esteem), we wouldn't be having these problems.

Here's how to kill self-esteem: Give something to someone who didn't earn or deserve it, OR take something away from someone who did.

Heck, I'd be happy if they just taught Reading For Pleasure. Much education can be gotten from books, ANY books... but you have to read them to get it. If your reading skills aren't up to it... you don't read, and you miss out on all that COULD have been gotten from books. :facepalm:

Andria

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
That usually kills the sense of Justice not Esteem.

That too. There is a connection between the two.

Self-esteem is reliance on one’s power to think. It cannot be replaced by one’s power to deceive. The self-confidence of a scientist and the self-confidence of a con man are not interchangeable states, and do not come from the same psychological universe. The success of a man who deals with reality augments his self-confidence. The success of a con man augments his panic.

Rand "Age of Envy"

When one is given something not earned, that goes against reality (and justice) and results in a decrease of self-esteem. Same when something earned, is taken.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
This war is for the hearts and minds of the general public. ANTZ have only lied to turn the tide of public opinion against vaping. Not one word coming out of their mouths has been true since the very beginning. I'm sorry if you feel like promoting this particular headline taints the purity of the cause, but I respectfully disagree. This IS hardball politics, it's a dirty affair and requires copious mudslinging.

The only way to win is to convince non-vaping non-smoking folk out there that purportedly-reputable orgs are actually sanctimonious parasites owned by nefarious private interests who waste taxpayer dollars to promote their own moralistic absurdity and the interests of their paymasters at the expense of 44 million American lives.

The purity I seem to be promoting is for science. I'm all for fighting dirty in response to Tobacco Control's tactics. I certainly do it in my criticisms, and I support mudslinging posts on ecf.

It's a war, a war not of our choosing. We're forced to fight fire with fire. But can't we be the side that respects and doesn't abuse science? After all, science is on our side.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Shall we check the Forbes 50 for starters? :laugh:

Sure. Take Johnson & Johnson - Robert Woods Foundation etc. Do you think they're panicked by the ecigarette boom? Are they doing all they can to spread lies and junk science? Take the State's who may loses billions in lost MSA money or in the junk bonds they sold? Are they panicked??

I'm outta here - better things to do :facepalm: :laugh:

Reactions: DrMA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread