Should Children be Allowed to Buy e-Liquids that contain Nicotine?

Should there be an Age Limit to Buy e-Liquids that contain Nicotine?

• I believe you should be an Adult (18 Years or Older) to Buy e-Liquids that contain Nicotine.

• I believe Anyone at Any Age should be able to Buy e-Liquids that contain Nicotine.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I think where we Differ is that you want to Kids to be able to use e-Cigarettes because they have Not been shown to be Harmful.

Whereas I don't want Kids to use e-Cigarettes because they have Not been shown to be Safe.

We have kinda been over this about 17 Times. And I think Andria is right. That since there is Going to be a National Age Limit to buy e-liquids that contain Nicotine, and that will be 18+, that we are just Beating a Dead Horse.

No, I want vapers to stop feeding into the myth that "it must be harmful on some level" or "we just don't know enough" or "nicotine is as addictive as *****" and to stop acquiescing to an opinion regarding health that holds no scientific merit, and yet is still used as the basis for all laws regarding vapor products.

If people accept that they are not harmful(Nothing is shown to be Safe), then there is no justification for 99% of current or proposed legislation.

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider Shown To Be Safe?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No, I want vapers to stop feeding into the myth that "it must be harmful on some level" or "we just don't know enough" or "nicotine is as addictive as *****" and to stop acquiescing to an opinion regarding health that holds no scientific merit, and yet is still used as the basis for all laws regarding vapor products.

If people accept that they are not harmful(Nothing is shown to be Safe), then there is no justification for 99% of current or proposed legislation.

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider Shown To Be Safe?

It's Funny.

Because once you get out of this Thread when people are Asked if they thing Vaping is "Safe", the Vast Majority feel that it Isn't Completely Safe. But that it is Safer than Smoking. And when someone says that they want to Start Vaping and have Never Smoked, the Majority of Members here try to Dissuade them from Starting.

But this is Exactly what Some in this Thread want to do with Kids who Don't Smoke.

I hear your Argument for the Kids who Smoke. It has been Stated Again and Again and Again and Again. But what about the Larger Percentage of Kids who will Start Using an e-Cigarettes?

Do we make Policies which can have Health Ramifications on All Kids Based on trying to Benefit a VERY Small Percentage of those Kids?

I can See and Understand your position about those Kids who Smoke. But it seems if Kids who Smoke can get their Hands on Cigarettes now, why would getting their hands on e-Cigarettes be Any Different?

I'm sorry Lessifer. I'm just Not comfortable with Kids putting all that is in e-Liquids into their Developing Bodies. And taking on a Habitual Habit (I know you Don't like the Word "Addiction") at such an Early Age. Not when the Justifications is to Benefit an Extremely Small Percentage of All Kids.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
It's Funny.

Because once you get out of this Thread when people are Asked if they thing Vaping is "Safe", the Vast Majority feel that it Isn't Completely Safe. But that it is Safer than Smoking. And when someone says that they want to Start Vaping and have Never Smoked, the Majority of Members here try to Dissuade them from Starting.

But this is Exactly what Some in this Thread want to do with Kids who Don't Smoke.

I hear your Argument for the Kids who Smoke. It has been Stated Again and Again and Again and Again. But what about the Larger Percentage of Kids who will Start Using an e-Cigarettes?

Do we make Policies which can have Health Ramifications on All Kids Based on trying to Benefit a VERY Small Percentage of those Kids?

I can See and Understand your position about those Kids who Smoke. But it seems if Kids who Smoke can get their Hands on Cigarettes now, why would getting their hands on e-Cigarettes be Any Different?

I'm sorry Lessifer. I'm just Not comfortable with Kids putting all that is in e-Liquids into their Developing Bodies. And taking on a Habitual Habit (I know you Don't like the Word "Addiction") at such an Early Age. Not when the Justifications is to Benefit an Extremely Small Percentage of All Kids.
I will agree that you have the support of the majority of vocal vapers on this site, that still doesn't mean it's right. Even I don't believe that vaping is "Completely Safe" because nothing is, but I believe, and the evidence so far backs this up, that it is no more harmful than breathing the air on a city street. What is "Completely Safe"?

There is a whole in your logic. I've pointed this out before, but I'll point it out again. Wanting vaping to not be illegal based on misinformation and a feeling, is not the same as wanting to put an e-cig in the hands of every 5 year old. I believe parents exert a good deal of control over their children's consumer practices up until their early or pre teen years, as they should. After that, the teens will make their own choices. I simply don't want the irrational fear that one of their choices is going to scar them for life, to be used to regulate vaping out of existence.

Also it's not just to benefit the few who already smoke. There's also all those who will pick up smoking, and then possibly those who have ADHD, or those who want to enjoy a pick me up.

I know you're a smart person, and when it comes to other vaping matters you are like me, you want information one way or the other before you start making broad decisions. I'm not sure why this particular subject is so different for you.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I know you're a smart person, and when it comes to other vaping matters you are like me, you want information one way or the other before you start making broad decisions. I'm not sure why this particular subject is so different for you.

Sure I want Information. Who Wouldn't.

But herein lies a Big Problem. It is Hard to Do a Clinical Trial in this Country ( as well as Most Countries) for something like the Effects of Habitual Exposure of Nicotine on an Adolescent Brain.

If we could Take 100,000 13 Year Old Kids and load them up with Nicotine and then Study the Effects it had on their Developing Brains (and Body) over the next 5 Years, we might have More to Talk about here.

But who would Back such a Clinical Trial? I know I wouldn't. And I think there is Only a Handful of Researcher who would.

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Seems more Like Trolling to me.

:)

Oh yeah. I keep opening threads about The Children when I have none. Where I discuss {other stuff} that is illegal for everyone adults included, and propose it as a model for regulating everything for the children. Then when I get called for it, I play the righteous indignation card.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Oh yeah. I keep opening threads about The Children when I have none. Where I discuss {other stuff} that is illegal for everyone adults included, and propose it as a model for regulating everything for the children. Then when I get called for it, I play the righteous indignation card.

I didn't say that I Didn't have any Children. I said I didn't have any Children Under 18.

That is what You asked me. And that is what I told you.

Jeeze caramel. Do you even Read what people Post?

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Sure I want Information. Who Wouldn't.

But herein lies a Big Problem. It is Hard to Do a Clinical Trial in this Country ( as well as Most Countries) for something like the Effects of Habitual Exposure of Nicotine on an Adolescent Brain.

If we could Take 100,000 13 Year Old Kids and load them up with Nicotine and then Study the Effects it had on their Developing Brains (and Body) over the next 5 Years, we might have More to Talk about here.

But who would Back such a Clinical Trial? I know I wouldn't. And I think there is Only a Handful of Researcher who would.

But see, therein lies a problem. Past information is based on smoking data, even if they say it is nicotine they were studying, it was through smoking. Nicotine is starting to be studied on it's own, and it COULD have some very positive effects. I also have to consider the evidence, albeit anecdotal, of the millions of smokers who started smoking in their developing years and did not suffer catastrophic brain damage. Who knows, maybe pfizer will develop a nicotine derived ADHD med, but chances are it would be worse for the user than simple nicotine in a vaporizer.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
But see, therein lies a problem. Past information is based on smoking data, even if they say it is nicotine they were studying, it was through smoking. Nicotine is starting to be studied on it's own, and it COULD have some very positive effects. I also have to consider the evidence, albeit anecdotal, of the millions of smokers who started smoking in their developing years and did not suffer catastrophic brain damage. Who knows, maybe pfizer will develop a nicotine derived ADHD med, but chances are it would be worse for the user than simple nicotine in a vaporizer.

Absolutely, I'd say that's a given -- the entire BP industry is so bass-ackward it's ridiculous. When the nicotine inhalers first came out and I saw them advertised on TV, I thought, hmm, that might actually be more effective than the patch, since it sorta mimics the action itself. So I asked my doc about getting a prescription -- he said that because I have asthma, which is documented in decades-long medical records, he was unable to legally prescribe me that nicotine inhaler. I said, "so it would be worse for me than to keep on smoking?" He said no, definitely not, but his hands were tied. What utter BS. It had to wait till the development of e-cigs, and the fortuitous legal decision of 2009 that they are NOT medical devices, for me to be able to self-medicate with nicotine and a placebo activity, and actually get free of cigarettes.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

X 1,000 !

Andria

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
my son is 17 and he is actually the one who turned me on to vaping. no dont think they should be able to buy it. but in all honesty i would rather him to vape then smoke so i would buy it for him.

If only all parents were as open minded and reasonable as you, and if only people didn't use the "save the children" argument for everything from age restrictions to outdoor clean air bans.

Caro123

Apr 11, 2015
Nova Scotia
Absolutely, I'd say that's a given -- the entire BP industry is so bass-ackward it's ridiculous. When the nicotine inhalers first came out and I saw them advertised on TV, I thought, hmm, that might actually be more effective than the patch, since it sorta mimics the action itself. So I asked my doc about getting a prescription -- he said that because I have asthma, which is documented in decades-long medical records, he was unable to legally prescribe me that nicotine inhaler. I said, "so it would be worse for me than to keep on smoking?" He said no, definitely not, but his hands were tied. What utter BS. It had to wait till the development of e-cigs, and the fortuitous legal decision of 2009 that they are NOT medical devices, for me to be able to self-medicate with nicotine and a placebo activity, and actually get free of cigarettes.

DoubleFacePalm.jpg

X 1,000 !

Andria
when one of our psych patients was prescribed the gizmo the hospital would not permit its use inside the facility only the patch and gum - I think the gizmo was more expensive and here in Canada health care is covered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread