Do you see mods moving away from 510 connections anytime soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
As far as I know the P3 is an open standard that Provari were hoping others would adopt. I've only seen it in the flesh once, and I was very impressed.

TBH, though, I feel like threaded solutions are something we should be beyond by now, but then my knowledge of the engineering/mechanics of that are to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Reactions: yuseffuhler

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
As far as I know the P3 is an open standard that Provari were hoping others would adopt. I've only seen it in the flesh once, and I was very impressed.

TBH, though, I feel like threaded solutions are something we should be beyond by now, but then my knowledge of the engineering/mechanics of that are to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Ive heard of the occasional thread on 510 vs 808 threads years ago, just haven't seen anything on it lately. I realize that compared to pretty much any other issue, it's not a big deal. I just see it possibly increasing the longevity of our equipment, specifically female threading, when you have a larger diameter.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I honestly feel there are other things that we need to get fully worked out before worry over the 510 connection. Things like wicking and coil materials.
I agree. I use organic cotton and kanthal, which provide a satisfying vape.... but not necessarily the safest vape possible.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
I agree. I use organic cotton and kanthal, which provide a satisfying vape.... but not necessarily the safest vape possible.

Not to mention not all of us can use cotton, but yet every new tank you see coming out only gives cotton as an option. Not saying they shouldn't use it at all, but there needs to be more options.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Not to mention not all of us can use cotton, but yet every new tank you see coming out only gives cotton as an option. Not saying they shouldn't use it at all, but there needs to be more options.
it would be nice to see manufacturers offering a rayon or similar option with their coils. I'm not sure how many people have problems with cotton, but at the least it'd give a different option.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've used the new Provari P3 for almost a month now, and I'm quite impressed with the new p3 connector. Provape sells an Aspire Nautilus with the new P3 connector, and I believe there's a Kayfun 4 with it too. It would be such an improvement if more manufacturers would adopt the new thread, as it is clearly superior.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I've used the new Provari P3 for almost a month now, and I'm quite impressed with the new p3 connector. Provape sells an Aspire Nautilus with the new P3 connector, and I believe there's a Kayfun 4 with it too. It would be such an improvement if more manufacturers would adopt the new thread, as it is clearly superior.
Thanks for the input Baditude. how do you see it being superior? I've never seen it in real life, at least in use.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Through the years several attempts were made, even magnetic.

The problem with p3 is everyone has to do it at once, if the tank maker does it but the mod maker doesn't, that's stock that won't move.
Same way with a mod..

As for wicking, chinas just going to follow whatever trend is popular. Cotton and sub ohm are in right now, so that's what they make. If next month everyone is talking about 3 ohm coils and rayon. The sub tank will cease production..

That's why rebuilding still rules, you dictate your own choice, I stil prefer silica

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks for the input Baditude. how do you see it being superior? I've never seen it in real life, at least in use.
p3-features-mobile.png

The P3 threads use a much wider base, which can more easily handle the inevitable torque that juice delivery devices deliver to the mod's top connector. Having a much narrower base, a 510 connector will suffer some abuse over time from some wobble of the juice delivery device. It not difficult to see that the P3 is a much better design.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I hand it to SM they have always catered to different connections, even have a hybrid base for some mechs.
The p3 with a Kayfun p3 connection seems like an awesome setup. I wasn't aware of SM actually making different bases themselves. I thought Provape was... which shows how much I think sometimes lol.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Through the years several attempts were made, even magnetic.

The problem with p3 is everyone has to do it at once, if the tank maker does it but the mod maker doesn't, that's stock that won't move.
Same way with a mod..

As for wicking, chinas just going to follow whatever trend is popular. Cotton and sub ohm are in right now, so that's what they make. If next month everyone is talking about 3 ohm coils and rayon. The sub tank will cease production..

That's why rebuilding still rules, you dictate your own choice, I stil prefer silica

I agree Thrasher, and I do rebuild, but new vapers shouldn't be rebuilding right off the bat, and we will get some that like myself can't use cotton, what other choices are there currently for them. Most places don't stock, sell, or tell about things like carto tanks or disposable attys. So how many people will that push back into smoking?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
The p3 with a Kayfun p3 connection seems like an awesome setup. I wasn't aware of SM actually making different bases themselves. I thought Provape was... which shows how much I think sometimes lol.
Yea I see the nemesis and a couple others now

Reactions: randyith

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I agree Thrasher, and I do rebuild, but new vapers shouldn't be rebuilding right off the bat, and we will get some that like myself can't use cotton, what other choices are there currently for them. Most places don't stock, sell, or tell about things like carto tanks or disposable attys. So how many people will that push back into smoking?
I had no idea cartos, carto tanks or disposable attys were a thing until I came here. All I had seen were clearos and a few drippers. More choices might benefit someone, especially when they're just starting out, but it might be slightly confusing. The market has enough options that most people I know get overwhelmed.

Reactions: Baditude

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
Some of the blame is on the community itself, let's not forget the constant panic campaigns against silica 11/2-2 years ago. So China did what most people wanted- found something besides silica

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Some of the blame is on the community itself, let's not forget the constant panic campaigns against silica 11/2-2 years ago. So China did what most people wanted- found something besides silica
The community does react pretty strongly to any perceived dangers. That's a symptom of is having to do our own research on what is and isn't safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread