RDA Centered builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
I've seen a few YouTube vids with people who bend their coil legs in 2 90 degree angles to get the coil centered on the deck. I've pushed my coils a little to the side to center them and I don't like doing that. I'd like my coils centered on my 3 post build but I feel like there would be a lot of leg loss.

Anyone doing this? Wouldn't mind letting me know how well it works? Pros/cons...

Fellow dripper
Brian

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I do it all the time, because it helps me wick it faster and get the airflow just right. And its pretty simple.

I wrap my coils on a 2mm screwdriver. Then I put the legs in the posts and push it in the center with my screwdriver to get it roughly in the place I want before tightening the negative post. Then I do the same thing with the other side. Then tighten the positive post and get everything perfectly how I want it, again with the same screwdriver. Its quite easy to do.
V9XeCcq.jpg

D6OKvkk.jpg

ETA: I don't bend the legs at any angle though. I just push the coil over with the screwdriver and it turns out that way.

Retro138

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia
I do it all the time, because it helps me wick it faster and get the airflow just right. And its pretty simple.

I wrap my coils on a 2mm screwdriver. Then I put the legs in the posts and push it in the center with my screwdriver to get it roughly in the place I want before tightening the negative post. Then I do the same thing with the other side. Then tighten the positive post and get everything perfectly how I want it, again with the same screwdriver. Its quite easy to do.
V9XeCcq.jpg

D6OKvkk.jpg

ETA: I don't bend the legs at any angle though. I just push the coil over with the screwdriver and it turns out that way.
That's exactly what I do, and my build looks just like yours. I've seen people push it over that the upper leg overlaps the coil. Just seems crazy. Thanks for the pics man!!!

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I used to do sleeper coils, but I find that I can do two separate coils that light up identically nearly every time. Sometimes, I need to slightly adjust something or tighten a screw, but I always get them perfect. So I have stopped wrapping coils right on the RDA like that.... its wasted effort for me, because I can easily get the same result without doing it.

I just cut the wires close with a good pair of wire clippers. Thanks for the compliments.

Reactions: Retro138

Lord Vaako

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2012
CT
I've tried both ways and have to vote for bending. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I've noticed that if one coil is further away than the other, they won't heat up at perfectly together at exactly the same time. It's a lot easier to get them perfectly centered if you bend them I've found, but it can be a PITA.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I've tried both ways and have to vote for bending. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I've noticed that if one coil is further away than the other, they won't heat up at perfectly together at exactly the same time. It's a lot easier to get them perfectly centered if you bend them I've found, but it can be a PITA.
That is 100% true. The closer coil is a shorter wire hence lower resistance, so it heats up faster. You need both coils to be the same. For me it is faster not to be messing around with coil legs, but some people find it easier... whatever works.

sedition

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2014
New Zealand
Rip has a video on it:

One trick to get a little closer to centered is to secure the positive from the opposite side, then wrap it around to the side the coil will sit on. Requires a little experimenting with the leg length, but it emulates what you'd get on a dual positive like the Plumeveil.

Reactions: AstroTurf

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I saw that video when it came out and tried it on a few builds. Its not a bad way to do it. But you do increase resistance by doing that due to the longer wire from the bent legs.

It seems kind of stupid to do that on a Plume Veil since you have a positive post hole right there anyway without having to do the bend.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Think: Wicking Placement...
wicking makes no difference how you bend the legs... the wick comes out the open ends of the coil and down.

But really, we are talking about the difference between this:
wk7sOku.png

and this:
uReiMVa.png

I'm not sure how Rip Trippers pointless Plume Veil bends make wicking any different.

Last edited:

Tom Forde

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
NJ
wicking makes no difference how you bend the legs... the wick comes out the open ends of the coil and down.

But really, we are talking about the difference between this:
wk7sOku.png

and this:
uReiMVa.png

I'm not sure how Rip Trippers pointless Plume Veil bends make wicking any different.

I would assume it would be for coils with more wraps and larger surface area so the positive leads don't overlap underneath the coils.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I would assume it would be for coils with more wraps and larger surface area so the positive leads don't overlap underneath the coils.
yeah, maybe that would be a good reason to do it. I only use mech mods, so wrapping coils with so many wraps is counter-productive for me. But I can see how it could work with someone pushing crazy watts on a regulated box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread